Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

Discuss topics related to the nature, character, and work of the Holy Spirit, including related topics of miracles, signs, and inspiration. Also included are apostles, because of their miraculous deeds.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

Post by email » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:40 pm

well i was getting of drugs this year when i cursed the holyspirit in several times b.c. i felt doomed after the first time... can jesus forgive this in or is this an eternal sin is jesus willing to forgive even this type of sin??
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

larry

Re: blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

Post by larry » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:51 pm

Dear email,

Thanks for visiting insearchoftruth.org. This is in response to the question regarding blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

The direct answer to your question is yes. You can be forgiven for any sin if you truly repent. There is a general misunderstanding of
Mt. 12:31-32 which speaks about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. I John 1:9 says that if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Also, Peter said in Acts 2:23 that the Jews had taken by lawless hands and had crucified and put to death Jesus. Yet he said in the same chapter in verse 38 that if they repented and were baptized in the name of Jesus Christ they could have the remission of sins. So, here we have those who actually crucified Christ being forgiven if they did certain things. A sin against the Holy Spirit is no worse than a sin against Jesus Christ.

The question then is what does Mt. 12:31-32 mean. Jesus told his disciples in John 16:13 that He would send the Holy Spirit to them and the Holy Spirit would guide them into all truth. That whatever He hears from Christ He would speak and He would tell them things to come. After Jesus died, He sent the Holy Spirit to the disciples (Acts 2:1-4). The Holy Spirit than delivered Christ's word to the apostles (Eph. 3:1-6). Therefore, if we turn away from the word that the Holy Spirit delivered (II Timothy 3:16-17) and reject that word, there is no where else to turn. There is no other way to get forgiveness. So, we can't be forgiven unless we accept the word of Christ which was delivered to the apostles by the Holy Spirit and which they wrote down so we can read and obey.

I hope this is helpful.

Larry
http://www.insearchoftruth.org