visions

Discuss topics related to the nature, character, and work of the Holy Spirit, including related topics of miracles, signs, and inspiration. Also included are apostles, because of their miraculous deeds.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

visions

Post by email » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:38 am

The Bible speaks of the apostle Paul being called, or appointed as a preacher (I Timothy 2:7). However, it was manifested to him through a miraculous vision and inspiration that he was selected to be an apostle and preacher (Acts 26:12-20). Unfortunately, we do not have the benefit of such visions and inspiration today. So, who decides which people should be preachers?

could you please expand on the above statements of us not having visions anymore today.I believe the Holy Spirit is the same yesterday today amd foever so why cant it do the same works as yesterday. please help me.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

larry

Re: visions

Post by larry » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:33 pm

Thanks for visiting insearchoftruth.org. I will try to offer some information regarding your question about the Holy Spirit.

You mentioned that Paul was called, or appointed to be a preacher and he was selected to be an apostle. All the apostles were selected by Jesus. In Acts 1:2, we read that Jesus "had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen.” Jesus personally chose the 12 original disciples. When Judas betrayed Him and committed suicide, his replacement was chosen by the Lord (see Acts 2:20-26). The apostle Paul was also chosen by the Lord as shown in the verses which you mentioned.

All other of the evangelists made a decision to become evangelists as is pointed out in the article on the insearchoftruth.org website (see the article under The New Testament Pattern for a Local Church, The Offices of the Church, Evangelists. There is no mention in the New Testament that there was any special selection of evangelists. The same is true today. When one decides he wants to devote his life to Christ in a special way by giving his full time service to preaching the gospel, he becomes an evangelist, or preacher. He decides to use his talents in that way. There is no vision from the Holy Spirit or any special selection.

Regarding the Holy Spirit, you said you believe the Holy Spirit is the same yesterday, today and forever. I agree with that statement. The Bible so indicates that is true. Then you say why can’t He do the same works as yesterday. Of course, the Holy Spirit could do the same works if it was necessary. Regarding selection of evangelists, we have already seen that the Holy Spirit did not do that in New Testament times. Only the apostles were specially chosen, and the Lord Himself made those selections---not the Holy Spirit.

The issue is what was and is the work of the Holy Spirit? Rather than me listing all the scriptures, I am attaching an outline listing scriptures showing the work of the Holy Spirit. Please read that outline and all the passages listed and then email me with any questions. You will note that the outline came from executableoutlines.com. I know Mark Copeland well and I want to be sure you understand he prepared the outline.

I hope this is helpful and I look forward to hearing from you again.

larry
http://www.insearchoftruth.org

larry

Re: visions

Post by larry » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:26 pm

email wrote:Thank you so much for your responce my queston is however not answered what I want to find out from you is that do we still have people bieng called through visions do we have the holyspirit working the same way as it used to do a long time ago. i quote this form your website "Unfortunately, we do not have the benefit of such visions and inspiration today" this is were I want clarification could you please help me here why you think such benefits are not available for us now.

Thank you in advance.
I’m sorry I misunderstood your question. I will try to be more responsive to the specific things you are questioning. To some degree all the passages included in what I have sent you address this issue. They talk about the work of the Holy Spirit during Bible times and what His work today. However, I will provide you some additional passages.

We do not have the benefit of visions today, but we should have said we do have the benefits of inspiration today. The inspiration we have is in a different form than when delivered to the apostles. Jesus said He would send the Holy Spirit to the apostles. We read in John 16:13, “However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.” We read in Eph. 3:1-5 that the Holy Spirit revealed the mystery of Christ to His holy apostles and prophets; they wrote it down and we read and understand it. We read in II Tim. 3:16-17 that “all Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” What more could we need than that?

So, we see from these three references that Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to His apostles and prophets, they were guided in all truth, they wrote it down, all Scripture is inspired of God and provides everything we need. Rather than seeing visions, we read God’s word and know what we need to do to please Him. The Holy Spirit did that part of His work and it does not need to be repeated. Even though the Holy Spirit his the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, His work changes.

Paul further clarified that in I Cor. 13. He says there love never fails, but gifts of the Holy Spirit will cease. When would that be? When that which is perfect is come. That which is “perfect” is the perfect law of liberty mentioned by James in chapter one verse 25. That perfect law of liberty is the New Testament which contains the words of Christ. When we pick up and read the New Testament, we are reading what Christ wants us to know. No visions are now necessary. Everyone can have access to His word. We see the wisdom of Christ in this plan.

I hope this is helpful to you. If I can be of further help, please let me know. We are trying to follow Jesus in all we do and if we study His word and follow it, we know we will be pleasing to Him.

larry
http://www.insearchoftruth.org