receiving the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues

Discuss topics related to the nature, character, and work of the Holy Spirit, including related topics of miracles, signs, and inspiration. Also included are apostles, because of their miraculous deeds.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

receiving the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues

Post by email » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:03 am

I only read the NASB Bible and I love how thats what yall use on this website. I can referance it easy in my own Bible. I was raised Baptist but for years now I've just Claimed to just be a Christian. Because I've read enough to recieve the gift of Discernment and I'm grateful for such a gift. The only thing I'm really confused about is, if there is only one Baptism for us, do we recieve the Holy spirit then, by what yall are saying, or is that something that comes later on? Cause I don't believe in limiting my God to an evidance of speaking in tounges in order to be saved, but alot of my friends are UPC and lets just say its shaken me abit before. I enjoy what God is doing through this Website, and I'll keep on studying through it God Bless and keep telling the word how it is.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

The Bible

Post by m273p15c » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:31 pm

I hate to disappoint you, but the NKJV is used for the majority of the quotes. However, it does more closely resemble the NASB than some older versions, like KJV or ASV. :-)

In regards to baptism and the Holy Spirit, the Bible teaches that there were only 2 occurrence of Holy Spirit baptism (the apostles, Acts 1:2-8; 2:1-4; and the household of Cornelius, Acts 10:44-48; 11:15-17). During the first century, miraculous gifts from the Holy Spirit were bestowed by the apostles' hands to help educate and direct the church in its infancy (Acts 8:12-19; Romans 1:11; I John 2:20-27). However, once revelation was completed and culminated in the Bible, the need for those gifts ceased (I Corinthians 13:8-11). Once the apostles died, the ability to transfer the gift died with them, as foretold by the prophets (Zechariah 13:1-6).

Many people claim to work miracles today. Speaking in tongues and faith healings are two common examples. However, these claims do not stand the test of divine power, since they can be recreated by atheists. For example, ask someone speaking in tongues to write down a translation of what they have said, and then ask another tongue speaker to translate. If the translation is conducted independently, you will find they almost always differ. If they are similar, the language will be very simple and repetitive, like "Praise Jesus. Hallelujah, Praise Jesus!".

Compare this repetitive language to the praise of the the Psalms! Now, that is inspiration! Plus, we are to avoid repetitious speech (Matthew 6:7-8).

If they fail to comply to a test, then you have your answer, because truly inspired people are always willing to verify and glorify their source:
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. ... We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error. (I John 4:1, 6)
If they cannot find a translator, you again have your answer, because New Testament tongue speakers either always had a translator or spoke in the native language of the listener, which would have been foreign to the speaker (I Corinthians 14:22-33; Acts 2:4-11). If they continue to speak in tongues without a translator or more than 1 at a time, then they are in violation of God's command (I Corinthians 14:29-33, 37-40), and you again have your answer.

The universal blessing of the Holy Spirit, which extends beyond the first century, pertains to the ongoing regeneration of the soul and moral thinking, which begins at baptism (Titus 3:5; Acts 2:37-38). It is the opposite of the process vividly described in Romans 1:18-32, where God "gave them up" to vile sins and a "reprobate mind", because they did not like to consider God, much less obey Him. The Holy Spirit indirectly performs this regeneration through the agency of the Word, the Bible (II Timothy 3:16-17; 2:15), just as He used the agency of the apostles to transfer miraculous gifts in the first century.

The topic of the Holy Spirit is an incredible source of confusion and misunderstanding among those who wear the name of Christ today. This is a profound shame, because His work is to unify and produce harmony through knowledge (Ephesians 4:1-6). However, I do not believe for a second that He has failed in that task. Rather, we must understand first what Paul said here, and then the resolution becomes clear:
But it is not that the word of God has taken no effect. For they are not all Israel who are of Israel... (Romans 9:6)
I look forward to hearing from you again. Thank you so much for the kind thoughts and encouragement. I pray that the web-site will continue to be source of spiritual profit for you.

May God help us to have a sincere love of the truth,

m273p15c
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)

email
Non-Member

RE: The Bible

Post by email » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:05 am

sorry its taken me so long to reply, and thanks for responding to my questions. I use Titus 3:5 a lot when talking about the renewal of the Spirit, and often the people who I have spoken to about this have always taken this verse out of context. Now you haven't and I'm glad to be able to find a place where someone reads the Bible for what it says. I still teach sunday school in a local Baptist church, but I only use the Bible as my tool for the class. I have read a lot of disputes which other people have written to you, and it is astounding to me how they twist your words around; yet this web site you have clarifies just what the Bible says! Your stronger than I when it comes toputting up withchurch dividers I always throw Titus 3:9 at them and tell them to back off lol!

How do people expect you to change you explanation if its what the Bible actually says! Rev 22:18-19 if you added or took away from the word just justify others you would be harming yourself the most, and through all the disputes you have just repeated the same truth which you have written previously. I commend you for such boldness and strength! I'll leave you with this Acts 4:24, 29 and 31! I'll keep in touch with other questions trust me. Mean while brother you just stick to the word!
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

The Bible

Post by m273p15c » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:54 am

I apologize for being slow in responding. We got swamped with correspondence, and I have been slow in catching up.

I'm glad to see that you have spent some time on our online correspondence courses too! Again, I appreciate the encouragement you have offered. I appreciate the evidently diligent, sincere, and earnest heart you are bringing to these studies.

I do not enjoy talking about differences, because I do not like confrontations; however, I am always excited to participate in growing closer to Christ and thereby each other. The work of unity is noble and its prospect thrilling. For that reason, I am eager to study the Bible with those whom I may at first disagree. :-)

I look forward to hearing from you.
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)