Did I see a Vision?

Discuss topics related to the nature, character, and work of the Holy Spirit, including related topics of miracles, signs, and inspiration. Also included are apostles, because of their miraculous deeds.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Did I see a Vision?

Post by email » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:54 am

Do you have any opinion on a vision I saw as a child age 14 in the mid 1980’s?

The vision that I saw was shared by two other children ages 14 & 16 as we walked around a church yard in Staffordshire U.K.

It was a ghost of a old woman that walked past us, she never looked our way or acknowledged us in any way, she simply appear to before us in front of the locked church door, walking, making her way to a second doorway which her path lead to.

The reason I know she was not of the flesh was because for the few surprised seconds that we came to see this vision in the immediate space before us, was when she passed through the second locked door of the church.

Never again from that moment on, have I ever dismissed the possibility that there is life other than the flesh. What I don’t understand is why I saw her, other than to tell me we are not alone.

The Church has demolished in 2000, I have returned half a dozen times before this date and have stood directly in the path of the vision only to see nothing. On my first return to the Church I stood within a foot of the first door looking directly at it, can you imagine how strange that felt not knowing if she may appear in front of me at any given second. I welcome any opinion or experiences you or other might be able share in this subject as I interests me.

I don’t spend my time chasing ghosts or reading fictious supernatural materials, however I do keep an open mind on the passage between life and the afterlife. I do hold a great deal of faith in the Lord our God; likewise Our Saviour Jesus Christ for it is through the Word of God we know we will be born again to the spirit world.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

In light of Scriptures, is there another explanation?

Post by m273p15c » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:59 am

I must admit that I have been troubled as to how to exactly answer this question; therefore, I have hesitated in answering your question. Please permit me to be straightforward now:

I have no doubt that you believe you saw a vision or a spirit. However, I am persuaded that some other explanation unknown to me must be adopted, simply because the Scriptures deny the possibility of spirits interacting with us today. Please allow me to offer a few Scriptures with brief comment:
The Hebrew writer wrote:"And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment" (Hebrews 9:27)
Men and women do not interact with this world after they die. Judgment and eternity awaits us after death. I am so very thankful that you accept the afterlife and that you believe in Jesus as our Savior; however, I hope you will also recognize all of His teachings and those of His inspired apostles (Luke 10:16; I Corinthians 14:37-38; Ephesians 2:20; 3:2-5; I John 4:5-6).

Miracles and miraculous gifts were not without purpose. They were intended to confirm the origin of the Word of God (Hebrews 2:1-4). Once it was confirmed, there was no more need for active miraculous gifts, and they ceased (I Corinthians 13:8-12). All miraculous revelation and inspiration, including visions, ceased at that time. In fact, that day was even foretold in the Old Testament, which includes a strong warning against those who claim to have received modern messages from God, including visions (Zechariah 13:3-5).

Furthermore, please keep in mind that all Biblical visions contained a very clear message. There was no doubt to its significance, because the spirits always directly conversed with the prophet. They always spoke to them directly. Pale shadows and subtle, suggestive whispers represented a sinister force in Scriptures, posing as one divinely commissioned (Job 4:12-21). In fact, I cannot think of a single vision in the Old or New Testament where the spirits in the vision did not have a substantial conversation with the prophet beholding the vision. Here are some examples where the prophets interacted greatly with the spirits of their visions: Genesis 15:1-6; Isaiah 6:1-13; Jeremiah 1:4-10; Ezekiel 1:1-3:14; Daniel 8:1-27; 10:1-ff; Luke 1:11-22; Acts 10:1-33.

Keep in mind that any vision must conform to the already revealed Word of God. If it contradicts, then we must reject it (Galatians 1:8-9).

Finally, please keep in mind that the Old Testament warns that it is possible for us humans to induce ourselves into seeing visions. I do not know exactly how it works, but I know there are many people in the world claiming that the Spirit speaks directly to them, yet the messages all contradict with each other, which is impossible, if the messages are from God (Titus 1:2; I Corinthians 14:33, 40). I do not doubt there sincerity, but I wonder if there zeal and desire to see a vision has twisted their dreams and imaginations into perceived reality. Anyway, here are the Old Testament passages that warn against such possibilities: Jeremiah 6:16-21; 14:14; 23:16-36; 29:8-9. More here:

post-989.html#989

Again, I do not question that you saw something. All I ask is that you read each one of these passages, and then ask yourself: "Is there some other explanation for what I saw?"