how to be filled by holy spirit and speak in tongues?

Discuss topics related to the nature, character, and work of the Holy Spirit, including related topics of miracles, signs, and inspiration. Also included are apostles, because of their miraculous deeds.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

how to be filled by holy spirit and speak in tongues?

Post by email » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:29 am

God bless for that am really encouraged ,now again another question arises i am eager to be filled by the holy spirit it has been my prayer but i do ask myself how do i know am filled ,like the day of Pentecost they spoke in tongues can i fast and ask the lord to fill me or already i have him since am saved ? help me to understand please because I have always wished to pray in tongues or in spirit, thanks.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Re: how to be filled by holy spirit and speak in tongues?

Post by m273p15c » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:09 am

Tongue-speaking was a miraculous gift of the Holy Spirit limited to the first century. If you had the gift, there would be no doubt, because tongue-speaking was intended to be an amazing sign to convince unbelievers (I Corinthians 14:20-22).

With the exception of the apostles and house of Cornelius (the firs Jewish and Gentile converts, respectively - Acts 11:15-18), people only received spiritual gifts through the apostles laying their hands on people (Acts 8:13-20; II Timothy 1:6; Acts 19:4-6). Without apostles today (Acts 1:21-26; I Corinthians 15:7-8; Matthew 19:27-28), there is no way to receive these spiritual gifts. You can read more about the types of baptism discussed in the New Testament, including baptism of the Holy Spirit, here:

http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles ... ptism.html

Furthermore, spiritual gifts were meant only to confirm the divine origin of the apostles' and prophets' message (Mark 16:17-20; Hebrews 2:1-4). Once that message was fully revealed and confirmed as being from God, then their usefulness was over. Like a child growing and leaving childish toys behind, the mature church has left the fascination of spiritual gifts behind (I Corinthians 13:8-13). This was foretold even in Old Testament prophecy concerning the church, that miraculous gifts and prophecy would cease (Zechariah 13:1-6).

Friend, Pentecostal groups that teach the need for modern tongue-speaking and baptism of the Holy Spirit are in great error! I would encourage you to find a group that is teaching all of God's truth, and not just part of it (Galatians 1:6-8).
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)