Calvinism - unclear position?

Is Calvinism taught in the Bible? Does man have free-will? Can a Christian apostatize? Discuss all related questions here.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Calvinism - unclear position?

Post by email » Tue May 31, 2005 5:46 pm

It is unclear to me where you are coming from. Bible alone I get. Are you affiated with any denomination? The reason I ask is I am researching Calvinism, and I read your articles. Are you for Clavinism as a theological system, or are you saying it is not biblical?

Thanks for taking time to clarify this for me.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:49 am

I apologize for the unclear nature of the articles. They are intended to be a strong rebuttal against Calvin's theological system and the practical implications that arise from it. There is a summarizing article, "Why I Am Not a Calvinist" that should make this clear. However, the other articles set forth individual tenets of Calvin's doctrine as honestly as possible (I try not to present a "straw-man" version). After presenting Calvin's view, the remainder of each article refutes the doctrine, highlighting its fallacies and inconsistencies with Scripture.

To answer your other question, I am not a member of any denomination. The articles regarding unity should help explain this in more detail, as well as the other articles discussing the nature of the church. My understanding of Scriptures is that God is fundamentally against the denominational concept, which man has created (I Corinthians 1:10-ff). The church that I attend tries to follow the Bible; consequently, even the name on the sign in front of the church is taken from the Bible, a "church of Christ" (Romans 16:16). However, several other names could be used, which are also in Scripture (http://insearchoftruth.org/articles/nameofchurch.html). I encourage other Christians to come out of the denominational world whenever I have an opportunity, because I believe that it is detrimental to teaching others (John 17), and I fear that God may call us to account for participating in organizations, which He has condemned.

Thanks for your good question. If I can clarify anything else, or answer any other question, please let me know.

May God bless us with an ever deepening love of the truth.