salvation of babes

Is Calvinism taught in the Bible? Does man have free-will? Can a Christian apostatize? Discuss all related questions here.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

salvation of babes

Post by email » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:03 pm

The bible is very clear that ALL have sinned and word All is an inclusive term that includes all humanity and babies as well. In the reformed Theology they emphasize more on the grace of God regarding the salvation babies who dies.However, the word of God says, that God is no respecter of persons(including babies).How then can I reconcile the faithfulness of God's word and His grace? Where do babies go when they die?
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

larry

response to question

Post by larry » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:57 pm

Thanks for visiting insearchoftruth.org. This is in response to your question about babies and sin.

The Bible does say in Romans 3:23

“for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”

Actually, the word “all” as used in the Bible does not necessarily mean all humanity. Let me give you an example. In Matt. 3:5-6 we read,

“Then Jerusalem, all Judea and all the region around the Jordan went out to him and were baptized by him in the Jordan…”.

This clearly says that John baptized all those in Judea. But, did he baptize every last person? No. In Luke 7:30 speaking about John the Baptist we read,

“But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God for themselves, not having been baptized by him.”

So, what happened? The great majority of Judea did go out and were baptized by John, but not every last person was so baptized. I could show you other examples in the Bible where the word “all” does not mean every last one of the category it is speaking about. Therefore, we don’t automatically have to assume that when the Bible says all have sinned, that babies are included.

Babies cannot sin, so if they die, they are in a saved condition. David said of his infant son that died,

“But now he is dead: why should I fast? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.” (II Samuel 12:23)

It is the people who sin that will die and lose their souls. In Ezekiel 18:20 we read,

“The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.”

Babies can’t sin. They can only do so when they reach the age of accountability. Of course, we don’t know exactly when that age is attained. It may differ from child to child. Some psychologists say that abstract thinking begins about age 12. Abstract differs from the concrete. Concrete words deal with what can be known by the physical senses. Abstract terms are not known by touch, taste, etc. Such concepts as salvation, condemnation, commitment, faith, hope, grace, and love are abstract terms. Only when children become old enough to understand abstract concepts are they capable of sinning and then losing their souls unless they repent and are saved by the grace of God. Until they reach that age, they are saved.

God is no respecter of persons as you say, and God is totally just and fair. He only condemns those who sin (disobey His will) and will not repent. He desires that all repent (II Peter 3:9) and come to Him, but many refuse to do so. Those are the ones who will be lost.

I hope this is helpful to you. Feel free to ask more if you have additional questions.

larry

http://www.insearchoftruth.org

email
Non-Member

Re: salvation of babes

Post by email » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:18 pm

Dear Larry,

This is in response to your letter dated May 01, 2009 about your explanation of babies who die and are bound to Heaven.You know, I am not actually convinced on your explanation because you did dwell more on a logical and philosophical way (man's way) of explaining it. I mean, I would like an explanation in a biblical perspectives wherein the souvereingnity of God is emphasized and man' depravity. As I understand your explanation, you have explained the word "ALL"exclusively. But in my understanding if the word "all" is used in relation to man's depravity it should be always in the inclusive sense. That's actually the biblical the biblical way. The reason why I also said that "God is no respecter of person". God will always be God even the whole human race are condemned into hell.
However, I you to explain it further in a biblical sense. Thank you.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

larry

response to your answers

Post by larry » Sat May 02, 2009 2:28 pm

Dear William,

Thanks for your reply. I will try to address some of the issues you mention.

I’m sorry you felt I didn’t use enough scripture. I used verses to show that “all” did not always mean every last one in a category. I used scripture to show that it is the soul that sins will die. I also used scripture to show that babies are saved. However, I didn’t use scripture to show when a child reaches the age of accountability because the Bible never says when that happens. So, I did use logical conclusions for that.

You mentioned in your reply about the sovereignty of God and depravity. Let me address those issues.

Sovereignty

God is truly sovereign. In Gen. 1 we read of God’s creation including the heavens and the earth, all living and breathing things including man. God is all powerful, all knowing and ever present. No one can compare to our God. But, we read in Gen. 3 that God gave man free will. He could eat of any tree in the garden but he could not eat of the tree in the midst of the garden lest he die. However, he could choose to eat of it and suffer the consequences, thus his free will to do what God desired he not do.

We need to understand God’s will. There are things God decrees to happen. See Psalm 33:11, Isaiah 14:27, Romans 8:28-30 and John 6:40.

There is a second way in which the “will of God” is used in the Bible. This has to do not with what God purposed to do Himself, but with what He desires for man to do. This is primarily concerned with man’s obedience to His word or precepts. See Hebrews 10:36, Matthew 7:21 and

II Peter 3:9.

Then there is a third sense in which the “will of God” is used in the Bible. It could be described as His permissive will. See Jeremiah 19:5, Acts 17:24-30, 14:16. Romans 1:18-32 and Hebrews 6:3.

Depravity

Calvinism teaches total depravity or original sin. The Bible teaches no such doctrine. Jesus says in Matthew 18:1-4 that “unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.” Why would one want to be like a little child if they were totally depraved? Little children are in a saved condition until they reach the age of accountability and then sin as I pointed out in my earlier email.

Calvin and Augustine taught that all mankind sinned in Adam. The Bible teaches in Ezekiel 18:20 that the soul that sins shall die. Also, see Acts 3:19, 2 Corinthians 5:10 and Isaiah 59:1-2.

Calvinism teaches that fallen man lacks the power of spiritual discernment. It denies man’s free will. The Bible does teach that before we are regenerated, born again, raised, or made alive, we are “dead in trespasses and sins.” (Eph. 2:1) But, the Bible just as clearly teaches that the unregenerate man can indeed “obey from the heart” the form of doctrine that he has been taught, that is , the gospel.(Romans 6:17) Also see Colossians 2:12-13, Romans 10:17, Mark 16:16, Acts 17:30, Acts 8:37 and Romans 10:10.

I believe you will have to admit that this time I gave you many scriptures as references, Please read them and you will better understand the sovereignty of God and depravity. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

larry