Feedback on Article titled: Those Who Left Their Place

Is Calvinism taught in the Bible? Does man have free-will? Can a Christian apostatize? Discuss all related questions here.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Feedback on Article titled: Those Who Left Their Place

Post by email » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:08 am

This is an extremely helpful article and I thank you very much for posting it. I just wanted to mention an alternate understanding of Jude 1:5.

The author writes:
"Earlier in the context we are reminded of one occasion, when God saved the righteous, while destroying the wicked, unbelieving Egyptians (Jude 1:5)."

I think the context of warning better lends the understanding of those being destroyed, not as the Egyptians, but as the Israelites that were destroyed in the wilderness because of their unbelief.

References: Numbers 14:27-37; 1Corinthians 10:5-11; Hebrews 3:18-4:2

As one who believes in the apostasy (loss of salvation) of the believer by faith (not works) I think what Jude is trying to say is, "Beware, like those in Egypt (the Israelites) that were saved and then destroyed because of unbelief (not believing in the promise like Joshua and Caleb, the only ones to live)." I believe that faith saves us and "continuing in faith" (Col 1:23) is what keeps us and that seems to me what Jude is saying.

Thank you very much for allowing me to comment.

A Pastor of a Free Will Baptist Church
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Article titled: Those Who Left Their Place

Post by m273p15c » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:38 pm

Thanks for the good comment. Feedback is always welcomed! :-)

You alternate view is indeed correct. I erroneously depicted the context. The contrast is not between the saved Israelites and the unbelieving Egyptians. Looking at the verse again:
But I want to remind you, though you once knew this, that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe. (Jude 1:5)
In the above verse, the destruction of unbelievers clearly followed the Israelites' salvation from Egypt. Therefore, the destroyed people in this verse could not be the Egyptians. One could maintain that the verse referred to Pharaoh and his army being destroyed in the Red Sea; however, this seems to be part of the Israelites' salvation, and therefore would not fit. Also, the substantive of "those destroyed" could only be the "people saved", not an unmentioned people of the "land of Egypt". Chronologically and grammatically, my interpretation was wrong.

Thank you very much for pointing this out! It was a subtlety that I had overlooked previously. ... Your references to the judgment and condemnation associated with the 40-year wandering in the wilderness were also helpful and time saving. I will be correcting the article immediately, including references to these.

Yes, I agree with your assessment, that the passage teaches the possibility and danger of possibility due to unbelief. Do you think it is possible to apostatize, or more accurately, face condemnation for disobedience? What do you think of these verses?
"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'" (Matthew 7:21-23)
Did the above people have faith? ... How about the following people? Did they have faith? Were they saved?
Nevertheless even among the rulers many believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue; for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God. (John 12:42-43; compare with Matthew 10:32-33).
Thanks again for your feedback! I look forward to another kind post.
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)