The mighty mind of 'The Outstanding Anti-Calvinist'.

Is Calvinism taught in the Bible? Does man have free-will? Can a Christian apostatize? Discuss all related questions here.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Post by email » Mon May 03, 2010 8:06 am

A poem borrowed:
He's looked at Calvin from both sides now,
From in and out and still somehow
It's [to some] clouds, illusions he recalls;
He really does not know Calvin, or himself
At all.

Let me share a couple thoughts that may allow you to know Calvin, and yourself, a bit better. A good, proper study of the man John Calvin would show the reader that he was not only a genius of the greatest sort, but that God knew this and decided to enlist Calvin's help thru a type of vision that I would venture to say, had an spiritual and physical impact on Calvin only transcended by the type of experience that, for example, Paul had on the road to Damascus.

As to Calvin's genius, a pre-vision episode in his life that accrued to the extraordinary capabiliry of the young man: his tutors et al. were amazed at how John could pick up and read through a law textbook and then relate its contents so amazingly that they decided definitely that he should become a lawyer. The magnitude of the contents of this paragraph can only be fully realized if you believe in the genius -- I do. You don't. To anyone who doesn't, that person ought to read any general book/biography of this great mind.

What can be surmised thus far:
(a) John Calvin was one of history's great geniuses.
(b) God began using this mind for His purposes through an extraordinary vision.
(c) Concluding: God used a 'vision' upon Calvin because He knew what such an indispensible tool to Him that Calvin would be.
(d) God, even the Lord Jesus, calculated the precious 'step' Calvin would become in the Lord's staircase to truth, to righteousness.

Last, to the 'Outstanding Anti-Calvinist'. I apologize diplomatically about this phrase, but feel it was a necessary introductory caption. I push forward with my view of you anyhow because I feel my input is a necessary 'balancing act'. I view you as an out of balance input to the vast world-web, and I feel that instead of being truly righteous you are one who is partly out to get Calvin, and not out to set forth the whole truth. A proof of this is that although you seem to cradle Calvin's points, you instead end up time after time being 'An Outstanding Anti-Calvinist.' For example you do not set the righteous path by referring readers to 'The Five Points of Calvinism' which is a pro-Calvin book. By not submitting alternative reading you do not seem to care that much about clearing the pathway that leads to pure truth.

I submit these comments without any hope that they will find a place in your postings. But I tried: the single, most important thing [in Christian growth] one can do for his Lord and Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Mon May 03, 2010 9:46 am

Thank you for your feedback.

The point of the articles is not to educate the novice in the complexities of Calvinism. Rather, the point is to free the entrenched mind from the bond of Calvinism. A few quotes from Calvin and various confessions are used only to define the error being dismantled.

I realize that you and many Calvinists stand in awe of him. However, I simply ask, which is the higher standard, the Bible or John Calvin (II Timothy 3:16-17)? Adherence to men is sectarian, dangerous, and condemned (I Corinthians 1:10-13).

My appeals were made to Scripture to establish the truth. What John Calvin actually taught is of little significance. What the Lord taught is all that matters to me, because only His word is truth (John 17:17).

If you have some logical argument that you wish to present based in Scripture, then please forward it to me. I will be happy to open the pages of God's Word and explore your concerns with you.

Incidentally, being in the minority is not always a bad thing (Luke 13:23-24; Matthew 7:13-14). I hope you draw no confidence in your perception of "majority orthodoxy".

May God help us to have a sincere love of truth (II Thessalonians 2:9-12),

m273p15c
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)