Calvinism and Reformed Theology - A "different gospel"?

Is Calvinism taught in the Bible? Does man have free-will? Can a Christian apostatize? Discuss all related questions here.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Calvinism and Reformed Theology - A "different gospel"?

Post by email » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:21 am

I have only recently understood what Calvinism is and Reformed theology. Your site has really good information on the problems with Calvinist teachings.

Do you think that Calvinist teachings preach a different Gospel? A different Jesus?

The more I read about the teachings of Calvinism and its assumptions, the more I realized that this doctrine is heretical. I am just wondering about your view on this.

Currently, I am trying to warn my christian brothers of Calvinist teachings. Unfortunately, the church leadership bought into this doctrine. I don't know how much though -- someone said that the lead pastor is a 4 point Calvinist, maybe 3 point.

I do appreciate your detailed arguments about each of the 5 points. I just read about your take on Romans 9, and I think that your comments and reasoning are really sound.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Calvinism

Post by m273p15c » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:38 am

Thank you for the kind encouragement. I am thankful that you found the site and that you found it to be helpful.

Yes, I do believe that Calvinism preaches a "different gospel". Calvinism may use the same terms: God, Jesus, salvation, justification, foreordination, predestination, election, grace, faith, and so on; however, they attribute a radically different meaning to each of these terms, such that we do not even preach the same "plan of salvation".

The apostle Paul described a "different gospel" and its consequences, like so:
I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed. (Galatians 1:6-9)
Practically and doctrinally there can be no long-term fellowship over this matter, because Calvinism advocates a different God and Jesus (selfish, egotistical, and unjust), and because it advocates a different hope, calling, and baptism (not for remission of sins, see Acts 2:37-38; Romans 6:1-6). Christian unity requires agreement upon at least the 7 "one's":
I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all. (Ephesians 4:1-6)
Arguably, Calvinism perverts almost all 7 of the 7 one's of the "unity of the Spirit". Without agreement on these 7, there can be no peace or foundation for unity (James 3:17, "first pure, then peaceable").

You are doing a great work by alerting your brethren to the presence of this error among you ("fight the good fight", I Timothy 6:12; "contend earnestly for the faith", Jude 1:3). Keep in mind, your primary weapon is the Word of God, for it is the power unto salvation (Romans 1:16; Ephesians 6:10-17).

Those who cling to 2, 3, or 4 points of Calvinism are in transition or are undecided. Calvinism is built upon erroneous premises (chiefly, God's absolute extension and exercise of His absolute Sovereignty), and it ignores too much Scripture; however, within its own framework, it is very logical and tightly coupled. So, if a person grants almost any 1 of the 5 tenets, he must logically accept the other 4. Contrariwise, if a person disproves any 1 of the 5 tenets, he logically disproves all 5! If you understand the logic of Calvinism, and if you carefully, kindly question the leadership, forcing them to be consistent, they will eventually gravitate one way or the other, or they will have to surrender their integrity by clinging to an evaporating illusion of consistency.

As soon as you are ready, consider humbly seeking a meeting with the leadership. Study the Bible on the essential points that have been taught. If they become hostile, dismissive, or belligerent, then you have your answer. Make sure that you are loving, gracious, and humble at all times during any discussion or interaction (Colossians 4:6; Luke 14:7-11; 18:9-14).

I pray you find this helpful. If I can do anything to help, please let me know.

May God help us to have a sincere love of truth,

m273p15c
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)

email
Non-Member

Re: Calvinism

Post by email » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:28 pm

thank you for encouragement and I agree with you that the scriptures is the truth to set a person free. And coming from love is important as Jesus taught.

As I understand Calvinist doctrine, the belief rests on the following points:

1) Man has no free will.

2) After the fall, mankind is totally depraved and cannot choose God. The belief is all of mankind hates God and cannot come to Him.

I think these are the two pillars supporting the calvin belief structure.

Do you think there are others assumptions? I welcome your input.

"I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by me." - Jesus Christ
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Calvinism

Post by m273p15c » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:52 pm

Assumptions often are built on top of other assumptions. Depending on how deep you want to "dig", you may uncover additional assumptions. The ones that you provided are a fair representation.

For what it is worth, the Calvinists I have encountered seem to have a deeper belief that man cannot have free will. You and I might ask, "Why not?" They seem to believe that God is so powerful that there is no room left over to exert any will or power of man's own. Their excessive, philosophical emphasis on God's sovereignty seems to be the heart of their misunderstanding and blindness. Although I agree that God holds all power, I also believe that He can temporarily withhold His will, so that we can assert our own. They seem to think this is philosophically impossible. Much like those ancient Sadducees, I think they have "greatly erred, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God" (Mark 12:24-27).

It is not a question of God's sovereignty. I agree God is supremely sovereign. Rather, it is a question of the timing, manner, and extent of the exercise of it. (Be careful on definitions!) Just because God holds all power, does He necessarily have to exercise it all at once? Could He temporarily suspend His will, permit me a choice, and then reward or punish me based on my choice, thereby vindicating His sovereignty? I think the Scriptures teach so, but they seem to believe it is again philosophically impossible. This seems to be the underlying assumption. They twist Scripture to match their philosophy and definition of God, instead of bending their philosophy to match the revelation of God in Scripture.

I am not sure that all would agree with me, especially Calvinists, but this seems to be the underlying assumption to me.

They think that our view weakens or cheapens God. I think any view not consistent with Scripture weakens God. I leave it to God to work out the rest. :)

I pray this helps,

m273p15c
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)

email
Non-Member

Re: Calvinism

Post by email » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:32 pm

m273p15c.

I see. I think that there two variants on this because James White seems to state that man has no free will whatsoever and God chooses on whomever He chooses.

But I understand the deeper assumption. Essentially, the calvinist believes that God can do whatever He wishes and that God imposes his will on individuals.

Because God is Sovereign, His will triumphs over the will of the individual. For example, if a person doesn't love God, God can impose His will on the individual and make that individual love Him.

I see the root of this now. Calvinist teachings have turned God into a rapist.

Then I will search the Scriptures to show the character of God as seeking willing, worshippers. I will do a search for all scriptures on asking us to yield and submit. I will then also search the scriptures of examples of people or individuals who resisted God's will and mercy.

Thank you for the insight on the calvinist's assumption.

email

"I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by me." - Jesus Christ
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Calvinism

Post by m273p15c » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:05 pm

Yes, that's the idea. Of course, the Calvinist would reject any harsh comparisons. In fact, some of their creeds specifically address this issue stating that God does all of this "without any violence upon the free will of the individual"! This is staggering. The Calvinist wants it both ways, and so he becomes self-contradictory.

Regarding your approach, I think it is very good. The OT prophet Hosea compares God to a man (Hosea), who pleads for his adulterous wife to return to him. Maybe it will be helpful to you? Please be aware that the Calvinist will attempt to explain this away, and all similar language, as an "illusion of free will" or "figurative language". So, be prepared to not let them escape so easily. :)

Thanks for your interest and stand for the truth!

m273p15c