Hyper Calvinism

Is Calvinism taught in the Bible? Does man have free-will? Can a Christian apostatize? Discuss all related questions here.

Moderator: grand_puba

Hugh McBryde

Hyper Calvinism

Post by Hugh McBryde » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:54 pm

**Moderated - Dec 7, 2005**

Spun off from the following thread:

calvinism question

First of all, a disclaimer. Calvin was arguably not a "Calvinist". The 5 points of Calvinism, "TULIP" actually were put together in response to refutations of "Calvinism" after the death of Calvin if I recall correctly.

I am not a Calvinist though I can find nothing to disagree with him on his points. The reason? I think Calvinism was clearly expressed by Augustine, long before Calvin was born and I think both of them just read the scriptures and re-ordered and compiled the doctrines of Grace and Predestination. I jokingly say that Calvin was a Plagerist for that reason.

Having said all that, I am a "Hyper Calvinist" by most people's reckoning of such things. I believe in what is known as "double predestination" where the damned are damned from before the foundations of the Earth, and the Saved are in fact saved from before the foundations of the Earth. Neither the damned nor the saved can alter their destiny.

Now, if we become Friends, then you have 3 "Calvinist" friends.

Hugh
"Every word of God is tested; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Do not add to His words Or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar."

m273p15c

please review the articles on Calvinism

Post by m273p15c » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:14 pm

Hello Hugh,

I respect your views of "Hyper Calvinism", because I believe it more self-consistent than the position of the hybrid 2-, 3-, and 4-point Calvinists. However, I believe that neither Augustine nor Calvin were consistent with Scripture.

The following article introduces the series focused on Calvinism, which addresses this system of theology, while comparing and contrasting it with Scripture:

http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles/calvinism.html

If you would like to discuss, please read over it and post back here.

Thanks!