On Calvinism: I have been blessed by your site!

Is Calvinism taught in the Bible? Does man have free-will? Can a Christian apostatize? Discuss all related questions here.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

On Calvinism: I have been blessed by your site!

Post by email » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:57 am

Dear Brethren,
I praise the Almighty for His working through your ministry and I pray that God the Spirit continues to expose unbiblical doctrines.

I recently came across Calvinism on my search for an understanding of Romans 9 and I must confess I was torn (especially by the doctrine of individual predestination) between my understanding of the nature of God as revealed in other parts of His word and the doctrine thus presented.

I prayed to God for the revelation of His truth to my heart and I commenced a deeper reading of the gospel along with a research for/against Calvinism. I have been to several sights in days but have been blessed specially by yours. In fact, I found more sites in support for Calvinism and the few against if were devoid of extensive reference from the Bible. Please note that I as open to the truth and looked for discussions that were firmly based on comprehensive support from the Bible.

In the meantime, questions and thoughts such as these troubled my mind:
  • The Lord is sovereign and can do whatever He pleases but this teaching did not go down well with my understanding of Him.
  • Why pray for the propagation of the gospel, the salvation of souls, and the keeping of the converts if nothing can be changed. (We do not pray for the sun to rise and set, we thank God for it.)
  • Will God predestine some people to eternal damnation even when they hear the gospel and realize they need help? ie (Sorry, never chose you?)
  • Does this mean God pre-selected some and gave the other to the devil from the onset? (A one-for-Me and one-for-you situation?)
  • Why does the devil have to tempt people and worry himself if he cannot take those preappointed by God and cannot loose those "given" to him?
I though through the implication of Calvinism and had the inkling that such a doctrine gives little hope to those who might want to come ("it's not for everyone and I might not be one of them") and makes those who are in the fold predisposed to complacency ("irrespective of what I do, I am heaven bound"). Can the devil ask for anything better?!

Again, I thank God for His work through you and I pray the Holy Spirit continues to use you mightily to the glory of God.

A brother in the Lord
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:30 pm

Dear brother,

Thank you for the kind words. I believe you are correct in your assessment of the true consequences of this doctrine. It is a powerful tool of the Devil that discourages the sinner and saint alike, lulling both into inactivity and carelessness (2 Corinthians 2:11).

I pray that the Lord continues to bless your study and investigation into His will. Not all questions are immediately answered, but I am convinced that the humble and honest heart will come to them more quickly (2 Thessalonians 2:9-12; 1 Peter 5:5-6; Psalm 119:97-106).

If you have any questions, or just something on your mind, please feel free to send me an e-mail. I will be glad to share with you whatever I have, as we together strive to serve the Lord.

Also, if you have any feedback, difficult questions asked by Calvinists, or weaknesses of arguments against Calvinism, I would be glad to consider them.

May God continually bless you with a better understanding of His Will.