Do not try to be the last one standing...

Things to know before you create a post on this forum.

Moderator: grand_puba

grand_puba

Do not try to be the last one standing...

Post by grand_puba » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:18 pm

For whatever reason, many people think the "last one standing" is the winner, as if the person to get the last word is always right.

... Maybe it is because Jesus typically silenced his opponents (Mark 11:27-33; Matthew 22:15-46), and we try to be like Jesus... Actually, that is actually one of the qualifications of elders, being able to silence the gainsayer (Titus 1:7-13). Maybe we are trying to achieve that level of maturity. Probably not...

... Maybe we view these discussions as arenas for competition - an intellectual battle of spiritual giants, between the forces of good and evil ... maybe... but how do we know that we represent the side of good? Humility says that we do not know everything. Honesty says we could be wrong. A love of truth feely admits the other person could be right. Have you seriously considered these possibilities? Only pride, arrogance, and a blind heart plow straight ahead without dilligently pondering the signposts of their own error. A quick reading of II Thessalonians 2:9-12 will check the rash and hasty gait of any honest truthseeker...

Or maybe, we just don't like to lose. More often than not, our pride gets the better of us. Nobody is immune from it. If you think this can't happen to you, it already has:
Paul wrote:Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ. But with most of them God was not well pleased, for their bodies were scattered in the wilderness.

Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted. ... Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come. Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. (I Cornithians 1:10-12)
Before you zealously respond to that next post, ask yourself, "Have I honestly considered the possibility that I could be wrong?" "Have I truthfully, logically, and throughly addressed any and all objections?"

If you do not bother to check yourself, do not be surprised if you are indeed the last one standing. Just keep in mind, that is not always a good thing:
The wise man wrote:Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Lest you also be like him. (Proverbs 26:4)
The real battle is not on these forums. It is in the heart of every individual. Don't "win an argument" on these forums, only to lose the ultimate battle over the integrity of your soul.