New Age Christianity? Jesus versus Ghandi?

Place to discuss the reasons for our faith (I Peter 3:15)

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

New Age Christianity? Jesus versus Ghandi?

Post by email » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:28 pm

Most christians don't seem to like or approve of the fact that I'm also a "New Ager" or that I'm into New age type of stuff. I don't strictly adhere to everything in the bible and I don't go to church or anything. However I still try to keep Jesus first and foremost in my life and I believe that God is the creator of the universe. My faith has been a constant struggle for me throughout my life. Many times I've questioned God and his intentions and I always like to question things. I usually have a pretty big problem with just accepting things the way they are.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

trying to divide a seamless garment

Post by m273p15c » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:31 pm

how do you maintain your "New Age" philosophy, since it is admittedly in contraditicion with the Scriptures? Don't you end up kind of "picking and choosing" the parts out of the Bible, which you think are important? What is the basis of your arbitration?

For example, how can a person thow away Jesus' warning on hell, without simultaneously throwing away His promise of heaven? It seems the Scriptures are an interwoven, seamless garment. Maybe this example is not applicable to your beliefs, but it is illustrative of this principle: To throw away any part of the Bible, jeopardizes the whole...

What are your thoughts?

email
Non-Member

Post by email » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:34 pm

Actually, the truth right now has led me to believe that God is a hoax. And the bible is a definite hoax. I believe that the real truth is what lies at the center of a person's heart and soul, and the bible really does nothing to help a person realize this. To realize the soul's true potential. If God is indeed real, then he is no better or worse than the one described as Satan. They are both flip sides of the same coin. For God to condemn a person, or to even condemn the Dragon in the end times is the same as passing judgement on himself. So in other words that makes him to be the world's largest hypocrite. It's a joke seriously, in my opinion God is the one that needs to be judged. I'm finally starting to wake up to that. I've been checking out a lot of other forums that seem to reflect my same viewpoints about the God hoax of the bible, especially the old testament. How he was abusive and a murderer and did all of these horrible things to people. I think there is even a verse in Psalms somewhere where he talks about bashing the heads of babies into rocks. I mean reading that verse literally made my stomache turn over. If it weren't for the fact that I'm a human and that God is God, I would literally have him put in jail for homocidal murder. And right now I am also wondering about the validity of a lot of the new testament. I've heard various accounts that Jesus Christ himself was a murderer and even talked about killing people in the lost book of Thomas. Another one of those books of the bible that were conveniently left out. Hmm, you wonder why. And Jesus was also a hypocrite, he seemingly allowed his disciples to follow him while carrying arms, such as swords, but then he hypocritically tells Peter not to use his sword when slicing off the soldiers ear. Well it's like, why in the heck would even allow one of your disciples to carry that sword in the first place, if you were supposedly so much against violence? Seriously it's such a huge scam. This whole stupid religion thing, that has created countless wars and death throughout the centuries. Sometimes you wonder that the antichrist might actually be the Good guy and maybe it's about time that more of us humans woke up to the fact that God is a huge phony and that maybe he is the one that should be put to judgement... Especially for the murders he committed in the old testament.

also, as far as the new age thing goes, I don't really like to use those words anymore. "New Age" were probably the closest two words that I could find to describe a personal philosophy based on truth and intelligence. And In my opinion there was never a human being on this earth who set a better example of how human beings should live and dedicate their lives than Gandhi. Of course Gandhi was never mentioned in the bible because he came way later, but at least we know the real truth about him, unlike Jesus in which we are supposed to accept a patched up framework of fourth party accounts and possible made up stories. And at least Gandhi never threatened people with this stupid hell scenerio, and for that I think I respect him more than Jesus. You shouldn't have to threaten someone with Hell, in order to convert them to your beliefs. In my opinion, that is a criminal act and it is something that Gandhi would have never done.

Thank you
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

what is your basis for decision?

Post by m273p15c » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:35 pm

So, basically you find the story of Ghandi personally more satisfying and appealing; therefore, it is real? Is your decision based on evidence or personal desire?

email
Non-Member

Post by email » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:38 pm

Well it's based on reality, it's not a hoax. And Gandhi never claimed to be anyone great or special, he was just an ordinary man who lived his life in a very extraordinary way, and he made a great positive impact on thousands of lives. And also, no religious wars have come as the result of Gandhi's life or message, so that in itself should speak volumes as to what he was able to accomplish. However with Jesus, we know that countless religious wars and persecution has come at the outcome of his teachings. And I myself am not even 100% percent sure that he even existed, I have yet to really see strong irrefutable evidence that he was indeed real. I've heard some pretty compelling arguments from atheists and others who say, that no, this man never even existed. But despite that, even if he was real, what good has mankind achieved from the outcome of his teachings? Are we really any better today that we were two thousand years ago when he was alive? If anything we've gone downhill and have gotten worse. In my opinion, Jesus was real but he was hardly the embodiment of perfection. I believe that he was fallible and most likely a very charismatic religious leader, in the likes of Mohammed or somebody. If he really was perfect and the son of God, then I believe he would have had the wisdom to foresee the damage that his teachings would have caused to the world, from the corruption of the Roman Catholic church, to the Inquisition, and the horrible slaughter of millions of native american indians. And then of course today with the constant threat of terror and ongoing religious wars in the middle east. It is clearly absurd. And I also find it interesting how Christianity only latched on with the Romans, after their empire was beginning to fail and crumble. It seemed like Christianity was like their magic answer to continue their imperial dominance, however through fear from the church rather than with their powerful legions and armies. Fear seemed to be a powerful galvanizing tool, and it unfortunately still is, to keep the masses locked under control with the Christian churches. If Jesus couldn't have foreseen this, or if he did but just didn't care, then that really isn't the type of guy that I want to follow around or worship.

And as far as your question goes, I definitely find the simple truth to be more satisfying than lies, false stories, and propaganda. If you believe in those lies, then I am sorry for your deception.
Who is "email"?

email
Non-Member

Post by email » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:39 pm

I'm sorry if these posts sound negative or hostile, but I'm just really confused about this. I'm struggling pretty hard with this religion stuff, and I'm seriously not sure what to believe anymore. I've tried going to church but that has not seemed to help, and perhaps even makes matters worse. More and more I'm starting to think this christianity thing is a scam and I continue to have all of these questions in which I am having a hard time finding answers for. It seems like most preachers or pastors don't feel like discussing these kinds of things in depth or detail, because they've got their church to run and it seems like they are more concerned about that, and try to avoid any possibility of jeopardizing their churches success. So the whole reality of what Christ is or was is completely blurred to me, by the commercialization of churches across the country and the cheap peddling of the word with watered down translations of the bible, fake preachers, and various other consortments of issues. I've been having a hard time finding a forum, or any place for that matter, in which people really care about finding out the real truth. Places that claim to want to talk about the truth, usually have a hidden disclaimer, such as we'll talk about the truth, but their are stipulations... you have to play by our rules, and so forth... I don't really expect anyone in here to prove to me that Christ existed and that his message was real and that he really was the son of god. Perhaps that's not important. But I feel like I have the right to argue about his existence in a truthseeker forum without fear of being marginalized or labeled as an atheist or such. I'm just stating what I know from history, and trying to put these pieces of the puzzle together. And the more and more I do this, I feel like I am slowly beginning to see a clearer picture of what christianity actually is. The clearer it gets the more I am beginning to feel like it is a hoax, an unbelievably well crafted, nearly perfect hoax. And also now I am really beginning to wonder about things like Freemasons, the Knights Templar and organizations like that. In which members build up their knowledge and understanding through various advancing degrees or levels, in hopes of one day achieving that highest ultimate goal, which they feel will bring them closer to god. They downplay the whole faith aspect of God and claim that one can reach God through a lot of hard word, dedication, and intelligence. No faith needed or required. That is, from what I've been told the difference about Freemasonry. And these people, especially those in the highest levels, probably see the world in a completely different light than most christians. It's so interesting and confusing at the same time. These two different ideologies. One in which all you need is faith, but are you putting your faith into something that is a scam? Like an illusion that isn't real? Ahh, what a mess this all seems like...
Who is "email"?

Doug

Post by Doug » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:32 am

If you are searching for hard actual evidence of Jesus you will find none. That is what faith is. Believing in something because you know in your heart its true not because you can measure it.

Doug
Doth not wisdom cry? and understanding put forth her voice?
Proverbs 8:1

sledford

Post by sledford » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:31 pm

It is written in John 20:30-31

30 And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book;
31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Since the Bible is a written work of eye witness testimony that is Divinely inspired, we have a rational, verifiable basis for belief. But, the question of "What do I base my belief in Jesus on?" ultimately comes down to a question of "Why do I believe what the Bible says?" It is the question of the authority of God to write down what we need to understand, believe, develop faith in, and then DO in order to be in a saved relationship with Him. That's why the Bible was written.

The subject of internal and external evidences for the Bible and the authority of God that it expresses is a worhtwhile subject. This site has a series of articles found under Evidences For God and the Bible for you to perhaps consider and start with: http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles/index.html

But I will leave you with one other thought. Jesus expressed in John 14:6

6 And Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but by Me."