allegations of Christianity bias

Place to discuss the reasons for our faith (I Peter 3:15)

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

allegations of Christianity bias

Post by email » Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:22 pm

Hi, I came across the website, "Stduents in Search of Truth", I was very impressed initially; especially with the following:
ISOT site wrote:"Everywhere you turn, there are people who claim to have truth. We are surrounded by hundreds of religious denominations and doctrines. Does truth exist, and if so, then where can it be found? Who can you trust? Who will you believe? Your parents? Your pastors or preacher? Who is the authority to whom we can turn? Or, does such an authority even exist?"
Immediately after that, however, the wheels fell off.

In the page describing your organizational charter, it reads:
ISOT site wrote:In fulfillment of our primary mission of promoting undenominational Bible study, we have established this web-page to help others in their quest for truth.
Looking over the page again:
ISOT site wrote:Everywhere you turn, there are people who claim to have truth.
This organization, for instance.
ISOT site wrote:We are surrounded by hundreds of religious denominations and doctrines.
No kidding.
ISOT site wrote:Does truth exist, and if so, then where can it be found?
In the Bible?
ISOT site wrote:Who can you trust? Who will you believe? Your parents? Your pastors or preacher? Who is the authority to whom we can turn? Or, does such an authority even exist?
All good questions. But, might I suggest considering looking into a different name for your organization--one that describes it more aptly as to avoid getting bitter, angry letters from nitpicking people like me--perhaps, "Christian Students In Search Of Christ", or "Christian Students In Search Of Truth With Christ As Our Guide" or maybe just, "Another $&@! Bible Study Group". Thank you for allowing me to share my opinion.

Regards.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Sat Nov 09, 2002 6:44 pm

Thank you for contacting us. We always appreciate others' opinions, even when it does not concur with our own.

Since you found our web-site title offensive and misleading, I would offer this apology. Do you have any thoughts on "truth"? Not just biology-101 truth, but ultimate truth? What is man's purpose in life? From where did man come? What makes something "right" and something else "wrong"? These questions pertain to truth that is considered "ultimate", because it profoundly affects every last thought, ideal, and action that makes up our life. Have you formed any opinions on such questions?

If we both started at the same point, then why does it seem strange that the name of the organization would be based on this point of origin? We are truly students in search of truth. I am no "professor" on life. I yet consider myself a student, still growing and learning.

We are certainly in "search for truth". Although the conclusions do lead to Christ and the Bible, please note that these conclusions were never assumed as the starting point. If you look at the article archive, you will find articles regarding fundamental questions: "Is there a God?"; "Has He Spoken to Us?"; and "How Can I Understand His Revelation?". Since neither Jesus Christ or the Bible were the beginning foundation of our study, it seems both inaccurate and misleading to use your suggested titles.

Please notice that each article does propose an answer. Other articles often build on the foundation laid by these answers. We have no desire to generate lots of questions, confuse people, and offer them no hope of an answer. It is our desire to focus on questions that both we and many other people in the world have considered, and then share the fruits of our investigations and conclusions. If you disagree with these conclusions, please feel free to contact me at the original address:

truthseekers@insearchoftruth.org

I would be glad to consider your questions, as would any of the other members.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Last edited by m273p15c on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

email
Non-Member

Thanks for the reply

Post by email » Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:58 pm

No apology necessary; I really don't mind Christian organizations and web-sites, though I'm sure in my initial e-mail, I came off as antagonistic. I don't even know why I wrote it.

The truth is I'm just jealous. Christians have it all--just look at all the groups one could join. You guys are lucky.

As for me, among few other hobbies, I spend my free time, nights, and weekends alone reading philosophy message boards and reading about religion on the internet. I could be out having fun or getting smashed, but sadly this is what I do for leisure these days.

I did read the articles you pointed me to. Also, you asked about my beliefs. I don't really know how to answer any of your questions. I'm not an atheist, but would hardly qualify myself as a Christian. At least a real Christian.

The other night, one one board, I read the following post (which I've cut quite a bit out of for the sake of brevity); I would say I agree with a great deal of it--at least more so than with the current dogma being preached on the concourse. At any rate, I'll continue to explore the website and definitely let you know if at some point I feel like I'd fit in as a member. Thanks again for the thoughtful reply. ---email
<snip>"But we must cut to the fundamental issue. Why do people believe in Christianity? It's obviously not because of compelling evidence.

I think there is a psychological phenomena at play here. People want to believe in something. But in the absence of water, people will drink the sand. I heard someone else say this for you plagiarism watchers out there. Go back and bug Stephen Ambrose.

Atheism is no more compelling than Christianity. Actually, atheism is a reaction against Christianity. I know because I was an atheist once when I was much younger, and it was because I always got snubbed by the good looking church girls that looked like Britney Spears.

Empirically and logically, there is nothing that supports Christianity. But this is also true of atheism. Christianity is a convenient straw man for the atheist and an easy target.

But as a Deist, I am somewhat in the middle. I firmly believe that Western Civilization has benefitted from the influence of Christianity. It has aided our progress. Anything that cultivates virtue is a useful thing.

Here are the chief ideas that I believe have shaped our culture for what it is today:

1. There is an order to the universe.

2. It can be known through science and reason.

3. Human beings have intrinsic value.

4. We should live by the rule of law.

5. We should treat others as we wish to be treated.

6. People should be distrusted because they pursue their self-interest often at the detriment of their best interest.

7. We should pursue virtue.

Much of this was also present in the Greco-Roman civilization. I'm no historian, but I can see how certain beliefs and values produce certain results.

I think it is in our best interest to try to find a more reasonable alternative to Christianity or atheism. Deism was the philosophical driving force behind the founding of our country. The Framers of the Constitution understanding how people pursue self-interest formed a government where tyranny could not get a firm foothold. It worked. There are those who may disagree citing slavery and Jim Crow, but those are gone now. The Republic still stands.

Atheism/nihilism is on its death legs as well. I love to read Fight Club, but I realize it is written by an atheist. For him, Mayhem is where its at. We must embrace the chaos. Yet, he keeps tripping up on the absurdity of it all. If all there exists is Chaos, what's wrong with IKEA? Why not seek self-improvement or a designer wardrobe?

My favorite short story of all time is Good Country People by Flannery O'Connor where this clever atheist girl wants to divorce a hick Bible salesman of his illusions. She thinks she is so CLEVER. Yet, he takes her for a ride down Reality Drive and makes off with her wooden leg as a trophy. Great story.

The first time I read it I thought O'Connor was doing some Christian bashing. I didn't realize she was making a stinging indictment of atheism.

Here's a Kilgore quote to remember. Atheism is nothing. I know this seems trite, but atheism is just nothing. It is the snow on a TV screen when there is no reception. It won't hurt you to see what else is on. Trust me on this. Bad TV is better than no TV unless you're me.

Atheism is what is left when you have run out of options. It will always be there. You're not going to lose anything by not being an atheist.

It doesn't matter to me if people believe in religion as long as they do not do something completely destructive like 9/11. But even atheist types do this stuff only they're called Marxist revolutionaries.

I say let the Mormons have their fun. Let people enjoy their lives. None of this should matter to a true atheist. Atheism, like Puritanism, is the sneaking suspicion that somewhere somehow someone is having a good time.

As for me, logic always triumphs. God is logic. It will all work out. I live in a perfect universe.

Out."
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Re: Thanks for the reply

Post by m273p15c » Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:30 pm

One of the "classic" arguments for the existence of God is one based on the human need for God. After reading your e-mail, it occurred to me that this might make more sense to you now, than it ever did for me. Why do you sit up reading message boards on philosophy and religion? There is nothing sad about it. Circular pegs will never fill in the square holes. Or referencing your quote, although one drinks the sand in absence of water, he will never be satisfied, no matter how much sand he consumes.

Christians are a blessed people, but it is not the social clubs or Christian versions of Britney Spears (what an oxymoron that is!) that causes Christians' lives to blessed. In fact, the servants of God often are not blessed in this life. The writer of Ecclesiastes spoke of the frequent reversal of roles, the blessing of the wicked and persecution of the righteous. A Christian is often most blessed when he appears the weakest to the world.

It is good that you are looking for the water. It is actually what Jesus offers, water of life (John 4:6-26; 6:1-71). The only thing that could possibly make sad your investment would be if you do not find that which you seek. Yet, if it is truth you genuinely seek, you will find it (Matthew 7:7-11). Be sure that you beware the delusion that awaits those who do not love truth (2 Thessalonians 2:8-12). If you love truth, you will avoid the trap.

Regarding the membership, there is actually no privileges or dues of membership. The meetings are casual. No attendance is really noted or maintained. A contact list is maintained, but only to update people on meeting notices. Feel free to come and go to the meetings as you please. I think there is one more meeting left for the semester; however, I am sure some of the other members would be glad to talk with you anytime.

You may find the classes are built on a foundation with which you may not agree completely at this point, but unless someone asks, the topics may not cover the issues in which you are most concerned. The topics are kind of covered by request.

Oh, about the "national value of virtue", I wanted to offer one last train of thought. As the writer mentioned, atheism offers no moral standard. In fact, it lends itself to the "free-loader" philosophy. Why care for everybody else? Sure, society may flourish, but why should you bear the burdens of others? Would not satisfaction be found in recognizing our true animal nature and fulfilling it exclusively? We could take advantage of others to enhance our happiness. I am number one. Why should I seek to promote something that has no value to me? Of course, if this philosophy was adopted, society would quickly fall into anarchy and ruin. True atheism cannot argue against the Hitlers of the world. There is no real standard - just so long as I am not a victim, but a victimizer - that's all that matters.

Any recognition of the "good of society" places a value or standard that transcends our lives. For an atheist, this life is everything. To admit that such a good exists is to surrender the position. In fact, if one does not live the "Fight Club" mentality, then he can be no true atheist, because he is living for something that transcends his existence. So, why is it that most people can't bring themselves to live this way? Because we are far more than mere animal...

Concerning the Deist concept, please consider that Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism/Hinduism cannot spiritually coexist. Yes, they should be able to live peaceably, but they cannot spiritually coexist. Jesus claimed to be Christ and Deity. If He was not, then He was either insane or a liar. Obviously, such a person could not be the central figure, standard, and basis of the true religion. Mohammed said Jesus was a prophet, but not THE prophet, as Jesus professed. Instead, Mohammed was the prophet. Now, they cannot both be right. Both, claimed to be THE prophet, denouncing all others. All religions which recognize the "rightness" of both of these religions are clearly ignorant of this dilemma and therefore born by the wisdom of men, unless God is the author of chaos and conflict, which Christianity denounces (I Corinthians 1:10; 14:33).

The point of this is that no middle road exists. It is impossible to accept all such religions as ultimately good. At most, only one of them is good, and it cannot be an all-accepting religion. Logically, there is only one or none. Which is it? I think about this almost every day. It is the central question of life: Is there a Creator, and therefore, how should I live?

God's commandments are for our good always (Deuteronomy 6:24). In as much other religions or civil laws borrow or support the morality taught in God's law, that system will prevail and its constituents will find temporal happiness. However, if it is "another gospel", then it cannot offer the eternal hope of redemption or fulfillment (Galatians 1:6-7). It is the true gospel for which I seek.

Let me know what you think.
Last edited by m273p15c on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

email
Non-Member

Re: Feedback from A Prospective Member

Post by email » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:17 pm

I wrote you a year or two ago. Please excuse the hostility in that email. Jeez, how embarassing that email to look back on it, thinking I wrote that.

I am interested in becoming more religious. It has taken me a long time, but the concept of faith is something I think I am a little closer to understanding. The thing is, I don't know where to start. I don't really know what religion to follow, because they all have some very good things to offer, I think. I would just like to find a group where I think I'd fit in, or where I can discuss stuff like ethics and religion with people who care and are somewhat like-minded.

Anyway sorry again, and thanks for your time.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Re: Feedback from A Prospective Member

Post by m273p15c » Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:54 pm

I appreciate the apology, but don't let it bother you. I've had more than my fair share of mistakes.

When it comes to religion, I'd recommend starting at the beginning. For myself, I had to first answer the question, "Where did I come from?". Determining if there is a Creator is the most fundamental question. If you determine there is a Creator, as I did, they you may similarly ask, "Has He spoken to us?". You can learn some things about the Creator from examining the creation, but not much. The only way to understand One Who was so immense as to create the entire universe, including the billions of independent minds that inhabit this planet, is to seek the revelation of His mind. I believe it is self-evident that we cannot figure it all out, without His help. We need Him to communicate to us.

That's when you will have to lay all religions on the table, comparing them side-by-side. Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, etc. Although some people profess to receive direct communication from God today, the chaos that they exhibit is evidence that the source of their message is their own self, at best. Ultimately, I believe these religions stand and fall with their respective books. Although I believe one of these books stands above the rest, based simply on my estimation of its content, I also believe that the textual evidence is profound for only one of these books being given by God. I'd recommend determining this answer second.

We have articles about these subjects on our web-site. Additionally, I'd be glad to discuss these with you via e-mail. Since I have graduated and moved to Austin, I doubt we will be able to discuss much in person. However, there are a group of students, who still study and meet on campus. I will forward this note to them. One of them will contact you with the exact times and places that the group gets together and studies. Of course, any of them would be glad to talk with you more informally, since their immediate topic schedule for the meetings may not be the most immediately beneficial for you.

As I said before, feel free to drop me a line. If you are interested, I'd be curious to know what changed. Why are you interested now? Also, I'd be curious to know what exactly you are looking for? Why do you feel religion holds an answer for you? We can pick up with whatever topic is most pressing to you right now.

May the Creator of all things show us the way unto Him.