formatting and language

Place to discuss the reasons for our faith (I Peter 3:15)

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

formatting and language

Post by email » Wed May 30, 2012 7:59 am

Inquiry in Reference To: [url=http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles ... rigin.html]http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles ... rigin.html[/url]
I liked the article that I read about the origins of Satan, but it seems to take the material so literally, that I feel implored to ask the question, have you ever considered how the material sounds in another language. Sentences change slightly most of the time when reading the books in their original languages such as hebrew, greek or aramaic. Assuming that the Holy Spirit guides the hands of those who transcribe the Word should not be reason to assume that they are correct, because learning another language such as Greek and reading the Word in that language will give you a different dirrect meaning on many of the phrases you have broken down. The overall meaning is usually the same, but the breakdowns would be different and therefore most of the information you provide. What is your opinion on this issue?
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

formatting and language

Post by m273p15c » Wed May 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Yes, possibilities always exist for errors to creep in through mistranslation. A multitude of translations and scholars help minimize such error. However, we should not let such doubts cripple us, unless we are willing to accept that God revealed His eternal will in such brittle form thereby rendering it hopelessly lost to all but the sagest of scholars (I Corinthians 1:19-26). The Lord promised His word would be accessible and understandable (Ephesians 3:3-5; II Timothy 3:16-17). Therefore, I am always leery of any suggestion that intellectually understanding God's Word is fundamentally or virtually impossible for the masses. This is the voice of cynicism and skepticism - not faith.

My experience in ancient languages has been much like my experience with modern languages. Understanding the etymology and idioms of a language are helpful for adding vivid color, and it is occasionally helpful for unraveling difficult passages. But, it is generally little more helpful than a couple of good translations in your native tongue. Rather, my experience has shown that spiritual prejudice, lack of faith, and too little reading are the primary barriers - not intellectual (Luke 24:17-29; Mark 12:18-27). Humility and harmonizing all of God's revelation on a given subject are the keys to a correct interpretation. Good friends and teachers help (Proverbs 27:17; Acts 8:30-36). :)

So, if you think I have misapplied some of these passages based on the original tongues, I would welcome your interpretation with justification. All I want is the truth.

Beware the misgivings of ferocious doubts that are disregarded elsewhere. For example, if translation is virtually impossible, then how does the world use translators every day to conduct international business and organize national affairs? Let us not become enamored or even superstitious about the language of revelation, unless we are willing to assume that God inspired the languages of Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic too, thereby embedding meaning into those languages that cannot be conveyed in other languages.

May God help us to have a sincere love of truth,

m273p15c
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)