Lying

Ask moral related questions. What things are right and wrong? What should we do and not do?

Moderator: grand_puba

Radhika

Lying

Post by Radhika » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:49 am

The reason I signed up for this forum,
is that it literally appeals to and deals with me.
My problem, that I must confess is that I am indeed a person who very often subjects to lying.

Now one thing I HAVE come to belive in very strongly, in is what I cal the religion of truth: Christianity,
and for several years now felt a deep connection with the Lord Himself.
In addition to this, having a family of diverse religions, have recievced no formal religious training whats so ever, and now at the age of 19 and a half, am giving it to myself out of the love and belief in this faith, the Lord, through knowledgeable people and ofcourse the Holy Bible.

I am on this forum as a member, and a person who is out to find that belief in myself within myself to turn from a person who tedns to go down the wrong path in times of fear -
and am determined to correct myself, as I know it is not too late

If you can help me on this journey, please walk alongside me -so that I do not climb this hill alone.
~ I can do anything, I belive I can :)

m273p15c

a very important topic

Post by m273p15c » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:17 pm

Hello Radhika,

Welcome to the forums! You have touched on a very important topic - lying and truth. May I offer you a few Scriptures for consideration, since this is a topic that is important to you?

First, as you already know, lying is a serious sin. We must repent of it, and become people characterized by telling the truth, no matter what the cost:
Paul, an inspired apostle, wrote:Therefore, putting away lying, "Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor," for we are members of one another. (Ephesians 4:25)

But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him (Colossians 3:8-10)
The Christian is to be one who is so well recognized as always being truthful, he has no more need for human assurances such as swearing or oath-taking. All should be able to accept his words at face value:
James wrote:But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath. But let your "Yes," be "Yes," and your "No," "No," lest you fall into judgment. (James 5:12 - see also Matthew 5:33-37)
How does one "put off lying"? For those engrossed in the habit, it may be a bit difficult to stop lying immediately. Beside the previous motivating passages, the following passage offers additional guidance and encouragement:
David wrote:LORD, who may abide in Your tabernacle? Who may dwell in Your holy hill? He who walks uprightly, And works righteousness, And speaks the truth in his heart; ... He who swears to his own hurt and does not change; ... He who does these things shall never be moved. (Psalm 15:1-5)
This short psalm mentions several characteristics that we should adopt, but for this discussion, please notice those characteristics that relate to truthfulness: This passage outlines two of the fundamental reasons and means to overcome the sin of lying:
  1. Intellectual Honesty - First, please notice that the above person is honest with himself. This is where all forms of honesty begins. Are we truthful, fair, and honest first with our own conscience? Or, do we lie to ourselves by clinging to reasons, which we know deep down, in our heart of hearts, are not true? If we are not honest in our own thoughts and reasoning (often called "intellectual honesty"), then how can we expect to be honest and truthful with others? To be intellectually honest, we must value the truth above all else:
    Paul, an inspired apostle, wrote:The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness. (II Thessalonians 2:9-12)
    This is a complex passage that touches on many themes, but please notice these people were condemned because they did not receive "the love of the truth". Do we love truth supremely? Are we willing to give up the most cherished practice or even relationship, if we find the truth condemns it? Daily prayers should be offered to God that He may help us to have a sincere love of the truth. All spiritual thought should include self-examination, which should always begin and end by asking ourselves if we are being honest in our reasoning.

If we love certain people or practices more than truth, then that misplaced love will prevent us from recognizing the truth, which we so desperately need to save us. We have God's warning and promise on it! "And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness."
  2. Value Spiritual Integrity above Physical - Typically, people lie for a reason. If we lie to others, we are usually trying to avoid punishment, embarrassment, or some other unpleasantness. This priority is not in accord with Christ's way. As Christians, we must value our spiritual health and integrity above that of our physical health and integrity, including upsetting our emotional stability. As long as we fear men's wrath above God's, or as long as we value men's love above God's, then we will most likely continue to lie, since it is a practical way of realizing our true priority. However, as soon as we make serving God and pleasing Him our highest priority, then the motivation for lying vanishes. At least, the motivation for lying is displaced by a higher motivation. In the case of Psalm 15, the man of God follows through on his promise, even though it will bring unforeseen discomfort to him. Why? Because he values his spiritual integrity and standing before God at a higher level than that of avoiding the discomfort. Here are a few passages that will help motivate us to value our spiritual integrity above our physical health:
    • Fear of God's Wrath - Although not the most noble motivation, fear of God's wrath can help motivate the alien sinner, young Christian, or weak Christian, to do what is right:
      Matthew, recording Jesus', wrote:"And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.[/u] Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father's will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 10:28-33)

This passage addresses at least one temptation to lie, which is to hide one's loyalty to Christ. Gladly, this sin can be forgiven, if one returns or repents from it (Luke 22:31-34; 54-62); however, it is clearly not a sin that one would want still on his account when he faces God in judgment.

• Desire to Emulate and Please God - God is a being of truth. In fact, lying is so foreign to His character, we are told that it is impossible for Him to lie (Titus 1:2; Hebrews 6:18). Salvation is much more than forgiveness of sins, just as eternal life is much more than perpetual existence. Our very character is to be transformed (Romans 12:1-2; I John 3:2-3). God wants us to adopt and share in His character, the "divine nature" (II Peter 1:2-4). If we truly desire to please God, then we will strive to be like Him, which means we will give up lying, since God does not lie.
    • Love of Others - As Paul noted in his basis for putting away the practice of lying, "we are members of one another" (Ephesians 4:25). To lie to another is to injure him. If we truly mature to the point that love is our primary motivation, then we will stop lying, because we do not want to injure another. Even lying performed to protect oneself from embarrassment or discomfort.
    Depending on our maturity in Christ, some of these motivators may move us more powerfully than the others, but each of these will move us to put away lying, if we believe what the Scriptures teach.
Much more could be said, but hopefully this will prove valuable encouragement to you, and others, as we all strive to be more honest. Even the mature Christian, who has long ago conquered the sin of lying to others, may find that he has a difficult time being honest with himself on all points. It can become harder to root out those truly selfish indulgences, as we realize sins that are more precious to us, or as we become hardened in their practice. Therefore, receiving a sincere and supreme "love of truth" is a paramount lesson, which we all need to recall frequently. Otherwise, we will lapse into that most loathed form of lying, hypocrisy. ... The fact that many threads tend to go forever with no resolution on this site are proof that not all "Christians" have fully accepted a sincere and total "love of the truth".

I pray this helps... :-)
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)