About Entertainment

Ask moral related questions. What things are right and wrong? What should we do and not do?

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Entertainment Choices and Limitations (movies)

Post by email » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:39 pm

Hello. Hopefully, in answering this question regarding morality, you can help me from a scriptural standpoint as well as your "personal" comments about this. I don't know if this will be as "cut-and-dry" as other topics.

The realm of entertainment I wish to ask about is "movies". Before I became a Christian (and also for a little while after), I would watch however many movies I wanted (including R-rated movies, though the ratings of the older movies I watched may rate PG-13 now), seeing that I knew who I was in Christ. But, today, I see that I have to be more careful. In doing so, I said that I would only watch one movie a month, of which the movie isn't heavy on violence (PG-13), and especially not sexual content. This hasn't been difficult for me to do. What are your thoughts concerning this? From your experience, do you see this new precaution as still being a problem?

Thank You
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

JSM17

Post by JSM17 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:50 pm

I have lately asked myself the question "Would I sit down with Jesus and watch this. I have tried to apply this to other situations in my Chrisitan life. I do not force this idea on anyone else, but I really think that T.V. is a waste of time. If we are going to be involved in watching it, then let it be done as if God is watching it with you. Remember He is there even when we forget. Garbage in garbage out! I am not sure where that scripture is! Just kidding. :lol:

We live unto the Lord, this should be with all things, even movies. There are cartoons that I will not even let my children watch and when I review them it is sad to see what is pumped into childrens minds.

What should we think about those people who use God's name blasphemously :twisted: in a movie? Should we continue watching a movie that says such things?

Well thats just my opinion, I see movies and tv like anything else would God want me to watch this? In today's day and age we see people watch tv more than they read there bibles. I understand you said that you watch one movie a month, thats great. I think as long as our recreational time does not supercede our God time, but then again that is my opinion.
...in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power...

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:39 pm

I am not going to go into a long response on this. I have one verse to share with you on it.
1Th 5:22 Abstain from every form of evil.
If these movies, or any other activity for that matter, have things God would deem evil, we should abstain from it. It's that simple. I realize in practical terms, it is not that easy. I have had to turn off a movie because of what was in it, though. Unfortunately, our society is embracing "evil" at an alarming rate, and seem to feed on it. It scares me sometimes.

email
Non-Member

About Entertainment

Post by email » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:22 am

About entertainment I have questions myself. I would like to know I a Christians hears milde profanity in a movie or on television that Christian has sinned and burn. After reading the responses I we hear God's name taken invain but is not consistent said throughout the movie? If Christian takes a metal note on it if make the descision go ahead and keeping watching it will that Christian be error? After the statements which reposted below I come away the idea that Christian hears something bad or sees something they must channel or if they don't then means don't love God. There is more that I love then a guilt trip.

When viewing entertainment we must first ask ourselves would Jesus watch that is like saying when picking out a new car we must ask ourselves what would Jesus drive a small compact or a SUV? God's thoughts are higher than man and Jesus is God. It seems that Christians want live in plasic bubble or be cave dwellers they want to escape the world. "1Th 5:22 Abstain from every form of evil." Well if we are do that then might as well leave this planet. What really gets me is that Christians bulk at seeing on violence on the screen yet there is plenty of violence written in the Old Testament. If it were sinful for us to hear about or think about the sinful things that people do we would have to discard the entire Bible, for it is filled with true accounts of the terrible sins that people have done, and some of those tales are told in graphic detail. But we won't disregard the Bible because that is different. Yet as soon as he hear a cuss word we automatically turn the televison off in order to say ourselves were pleasing to God.

We don't Hollywood to portray sinners as they are for we want to have no flaws whatever.

JSM17 Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:50 pm

I have lately asked myself the question "Would I sit down with Jesus and watch this. I have tried to apply this to other situations in my Chrisitan life. I do not force this idea on anyone else, but I really think that T.V. is a waste of time. If we are going to be involved in watching it, then let it be done as if God is watching it with you. Remember He is there even when we forget. Garbage in garbage out! I am not sure where that scripture is! Just kidding.

We live unto the Lord, this should be with all things, even movies. There are cartoons that I will not even let my children watch and when I review them it is sad to see what is pumped into childrens minds.

What should we think about those people who use God's name blasphemously in a movie? Should we continue watching a movie that says such things?

Well thats just my opinion, I see movies and tv like anything else would God want me to watch this? In today's day and age we see people watch tv more than they read there bibles. I understand you said that you watch one movie a month, thats great. I think as long as our recreational time does not supercede our God time, but then again that is my opinion.

Darrell

I am not going to go into a long response on this. I have one verse to share with you on it.
1Th 5:22 Abstain from every form of evil.
If these movies, or any other activity for that matter, have things God would deem evil, we should abstain from it. It's that simple. I realize in practical terms, it is not that easy. I have had to turn off a movie because of what was in it, though. Unfortunately, our society is embracing "evil" at an alarming rate, and seem to feed on it. It scares me sometimes.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

Dave001

Re: Entertainment Choices and Limitations (movies)

Post by Dave001 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:46 am

About entertainment I have questions myself. I would like to know can a Christians hear mild profanity in a movie or on television and that Christian not morally compromised his values? Or has Christian sin sinned and burn in hell for eternity?
If Christian takes a metal note of disproval on it if make the decision go ahead and keeping watching it will that Christian be error?
Many times Scriptures makes it clear that we should not make it our ambition to go around looking to be amused by or entertained by sin, but on the other hand, neither can we do much of anything to escape being exposed to sin, profanity, lies, and other things that the world generates.

After reading the responses above, from JSM17 and Darrell it seems the moment you encounter something evil must avoid the whole while the rest maybe okay, but know that because you turned away from it.
Philippians 4:8
“ Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”

If we intentionally go to a movie in order to hear the very funny profanities in it, we have sinned. On the other hand, if we go to a movie that has great drama, an excellent moral, and inspirational music and there encounter a profanity, we may dwell on the praise-worthy elements of the movie while dismissing the unsavory profanities.

"1Th 5:22 Abstain from every form of evil." Well if see bad guy in movie do horrible things we must avoid it? I guess the Good VS Evil in entertainment is not appealing to Christians. I could be wrong but that is how I understand you guys. If are to abstain from every forum of evil entirely than me might as well leave this planet.

What really gets me is that Christians bulk at seeing on violence on the screen, yet there is plenty of violence in the Old Testament. If it were sinful for us to hear about or think about the sinful things that people do we would have to discard the entire Bible, for it is filled with true accounts of the terrible sins that people have done, and some of those tales are told in graphic detail. But we won't disregard the Bible because that is God’s Word. Yet, as soon as we hear a cuss word we automatically turn the televison off in order to say ourselves were pleasing to God

It seems we don't Hollywood to portray sinners as they are for we want is to see people with no human flaws.

email
Non-Member

Abstain from All Appearance of Evil?

Post by email » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:05 pm

1Th 5:22) Abstain from every form of evil. Was used to persuade people avoid bad entertainment.

I have dwelled on that verse for last couple days and I didn't sleep as well like I normally do.

I have been worrying how that applies exactly like.
  1. If encounter a profane language in movies and T.V. even it is minimal. You never know when you'll hear bad langauge, so that does mean we must the movie or the T.V show.

2. Are we sinning if we continue to still watch it?

3. The part about abstain from evil. We see bad guys to bad things then are evils such anger, lust murder in entertainment. Not that I would want to act these things out. Evil is evil so must find entertainment that who no evil. Meaning everything is good all the way through with no bad stuff?
4. Must I avoid going to restaurants that sell alcohol even though I’m not inclined to drink, because I avoid alcohol altogether. There is Budweiser sign must I leave the restaurant?

In the Thessalonians passage quotes, Paul is talking about prophetic utterances in the previous verses (19-21). “Do not put out the Spirit’s fire; do not treat prophecies with contempt. Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil.” What is to be tested? The content (the message) of every prophetic utterance. What is good is to be held on to; what is evil is to be rejected. The passage is not saying never do something which looks like sin to another person. Jesus Christ frequently offended the leaders of the religious community.

Could be that we misinterpret(1Th 5:22)

The problem with saying that Christians should avoid “questionable behavior” is that we have all kinds of opinions as to what is or is not questionable behavior. Obviously we are not talking about SIN or wrongs as described and given by God. We most definitely are to avoid disobeying God. But when it comes down to matters of Christian freedom and liberty then this misapplication of 1 Thess. 5:22 must be challenged. I might not like what you do but if it isn’t sin I should keep my mouth shut and allow you to enjoy your freedom in Christ.

It seems that when a person does not like the way that you appear, or the way that you are acting, or whatever, this verse is yarded out of its semantic context and used as a battering ram to prove that you should change something about the way you are "appearing" at that moment.

A minister once used this passage to inform a person that though a relationship she was in was not sin, it "appeared evil" to others and thus, she should remove herself from the relationship.

I actually heard about one church fellowship that would not allow a ketchup bottle on the table either at home or in a restaurant because it looked evil, after all, alcohol comes in bottles. So, they'd quickly pour the ketchup onto their plates and then instruct the waitress to remove the bottle immediately.

The American Heritage English Dictionary defines "appearance" as, 1. The act of appearing. 2. The outward aspect of something. 3. A pretense.

The Master Abstainer: Jesus as Example

Next, have you considered some things Jesus did? One thing we know for certain, Jesus abstained from sin. And, I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but it does not seem that Jesus always abstained from the "appearance" of evil.

He and his disciples picked grain on the Sabbath, and they did not ceremoniously wash their hands before eating. Both of those "appeared" evil.

Furthermore, Jesus ate with the tax-collectors, prostitutes, and other sinners.

So, where's the "appearance" line?

Just what did the apostle Paul mean when he said "Abstain from all appearance of evil"?

Before we answer the question, "What did Paul mean by?" we must first answer this question: Did Paul even say, "Abstain from all appearance of evil"? Or, is it possible that the King James Version translation makes him say these words?
Who is "email"?

clarkdeu

Re: Entertainment Choices and Limitations (movies)

Post by clarkdeu » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:46 pm

If we intentionally go to a movie in order to hear the very funny profanities in it, we have sinned. On the other hand, if we go to a movie that has great drama, an excellent moral, and inspirational music and there encounter a profanity, we may dwell on the praise-worthy elements of the movie while dismissing the unsavory profanities.
clark