comment about working and article on self confidence

Container for all otherwise uncategorized thoughts and meanderings.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

comment about working and article on self confidence

Post by email » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:21 pm

so if self-confidence is a sin, then where did pastors / televangelist get their money to buy their multi million $$$ homes & luxury cars. don't they store treasure on earth for them'selves', don't they think of themselves when the tithe they say is for god goes to their own pockets.

I find you a HYPOCRITE bec. i doubt that you would 'deny' yourself! why don't you practice denying yourself. your typical answer is that you are being 'judge' but you are insulted bec you are called a hypocrite. the reason why you don't understand the issues of self confidence is you do not work. how can a person who lost his job can find a job when you say that self confidence is false, sin or arrogance. but you enrich your'self'.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

comment about your self confidence

Post by m273p15c » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:43 pm

You have me confused with other people, and you have assumed that all Christians are the same. Would it be fair to assume that all atheists, Buddhist, Hindus, or agnostics are exactly like the ones I have seen on television?

Why would you think that self-confidence is required for finding a job? Could there be no other motivation or source of assurance?
Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need. (Ephesians 4:28)
The article is focusing on the ultimate foundation of our confidence. Yes, I believe and perceive that I have some abilities, and partially based on that understanding, I undertake various tasks. However, my abilities are not the bedrock of my confidence, neither is the satisfaction of my desires my ultimate goal.

If one's abilities fail, his confidence should not shatter. Similarly, his confidence will not falter, if he loses his job, and if his trust is rightly fixed on God. ... This does not mean that such a person sits around waiting for a job to come knocking on his front door. Actually, it means he should pursue it aggressively, because God has so commanded (Ephesians 6:5-8):
Bondservants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh, not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but in sincerity of heart, fearing God. And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ. (Colossians 3:22-24)
And, His apostles so exemplified (I Corinthians 4:11-12; I Thessalonians 2:9):
For you yourselves know how you ought to follow us, for we were not disorderly among you; nor did we eat anyone's bread free of charge, but worked with labor and toil night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you, not because we do not have authority, but to make ourselves an example of how you should follow us. For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat. (II Thessalonians 2:7-10)
But, if the Christian does not find a job immediately, he does not panic or worry - because his ultimate confidence is in God, not in his ability to find a job.

Finally, I have a Bachelors and Masters of Electrical Engineering from a well-reputed, public university. I have worked continuously as an electrical engineer, primarily in microprocessor and IC design since graduation.

Maybe you have assumed too much?

May God help us to have a sincere love of truth,

m273p15c
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)

email
Non-Member

Re: comment about your self confidence

Post by email » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:05 pm

Why would you think that self-confidence is required for finding a job? that is your question.

so who else is going to look for a job? god? jesus christ? and when you are facing the human resource interviewers & you project an image of doubt, fear, (fear, doubt, guilt are the result of sin) & lack of self confidence, how can you be able to apply for one. i have experience losing a job & i had a difficult time in looking for one bec. a stupid pastor told me that S I N the middle of sin is I. but the same pastor has a house & a luxury car. what a hypocrite. being christ confident did not help me look for a job. what do you want me to do, sit down, give my 10% & wait for job interviewers to call me that I got the job.

if self is a sin, then why did christ told peter " Peter it is I"

the problem with you christians is you do not know the issues that faces people told, even christians. always pointing to sin. that is why opportunities are missed.

I have heard christian like you quoting verses in the bible that everything is a sin. but one of my questions is if christians don't believe in self confidence or that self is a sin then where does pastors / televangelist get their money to buy their multi million dollar homes & luxury cars. if self is a sin, doesn't the material things they acquire go to them'selves' . is that 'self-denial'? and then if their sins are exposed bec. they would use the 'ye not judge me' defense, so they can justify their sins. they are insulted & they do not practice what they preach.

and by the way, i have seen other people hurting emotionally bec they were terrorized & abused by others. they developed fear, guilt,shame, & doubt. so the reason why these children grow up dysfunctional is bec of sin?

it is like telling a suffering person that the reason why he is suffering is bec of sin.

you christians are good in quoting the bible but really do not understand the pain others are going through. instead of helping they put more weight on their shoulders, & become more of a hindrance than a solution.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

comment about your self confidence

Post by m273p15c » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:34 pm

You have not treated me fairly. I have already answered some of the accusations that you have re-asserted. You cannot associate all of your "Christian" experiences with me, as I am probably unlike most Christians you have encountered. Certainly, I would condemn much of the behavior and teaching your have assigned to all Christians. Please treat me as you would like to be treated. Then, we can reason together.

I will be happy to answer your questions, but you must calm down and listen with an open mind.
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)

email
Non-Member

Post by email » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:21 pm

that is so funny bec. that was how I was treated by so-called christian. and how can you say we can reason together when your article about this issue (self-confidence) already pointed to sin. your question is:

Why would you think that self-confidence is required for finding a job? Could there be no other motivation or source of assurance?

this tells me that you do not understand the situation others are going thru.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:07 pm

I do not understand what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to redirect frustration caused by someone else to me?

Yes, I understand much of what others suffer, because I am part of the "others". I am not employed by any church. All of the technical, material, and topical resources for the ISOT site comes from my personal resources. I work as an engineer during the day, and I discuss spiritual matters via email at night (or lunch break). I work long hours, and I have had to deal with finding a job multiple times. As part of that, I have dealt with the rejection and doubt that comes during those times.

I asked the question the way I did to try help you to think, plus I did not want to "seed" your answer.

There are many other reasons for finding a job, and there are many bases for projecting confidence (real or imagined) during a job interview. From the standpoint of the article, I understand that God intends all people to work. God does not command us to do what is beyond our ability. He is a fair God. Therefore, I confidently enter every job interview portraying the belief I can supply hope, courage, confidence, determination, and sincerity to any job.

Now, I may not get the job I want because I lack the technical skills, communication skills, people skills, etc., but I am OK with that. That doesn't slow me down, because my hopes are not pinned on any one job. I seek to please God. Eventually, I will get a job. It may not provide as much money as I would like to buy luxury items, but I know that I will find some way to provide food and clothing for my family, as has been promised (Matthew 6:19-34). If you have been led to believe that God has promised us a grand job with lots of money, then you have been misinformed. No such promise exists in the Bible. Only food and clothing are promised.

I do not understand your connection to sin and self-confidence. As the article's author, I did not try to make a direct connection. True, knowledge of sin produces guilt, and guilt can diminish our confidence. However, that is easy to resolve. When one becomes a Christian, his sins are forgiven, and if he believes they are forgiven, then his guilt dissolves. If a Christian recognizes ongoing sin, he can also repent and receive forgiveness. So, sin should not be a long-term hindrance to self-confidence, unless one does not believe his sins were forgiven, or unless one has not repented and sought forgiveness.

The article was primarily addressed to Christians who claim God as their source of strength, but yet, they ultimately rely on various manifestations of their self or material things. ... I think you are still trying to assign what you have heard from others to me.

If you are not yet a Christian, then you need to become one first; otherwise, the rest is vain. God does not acknowledge the prayers of non-Christians (John 9:31), except to help them find truth and become saved (Acts 10:1-4). If you do not believe in God, much less Jesus, or the Bible, then there is no way anything else we are discussing will make sense, since it is predicated upon a foundation of obedient faith in God. How can a person do anything in confidence, if his confidence is rooted in being, whom is not believed to even exist? ... You need to become a Christian, if you want to be able to pray to God and know that He has heard your prayer.

But, you should know, even then, you may not receive the answer you seek. God is not a genie, granting our carnal wishes, blind to their consequences. He hears our prayers and answers them as seems best to Him for our spiritual benefit, the benefit of others, and His greater plan.

If you have questions about becoming Christian, faith in God, accepting the Bible, or trusting in Jesus, I would be happy to discuss those further.

m273p15c