need some comforting Bible verses

Container for all otherwise uncategorized thoughts and meanderings.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

need some comforting Bible verses

Post by email » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:04 am

I have recently lost some dear loved ones. When you have some time, perhaps you could pass along some scriptures - that would be a comfort to me - that would be helpful to a fellow believer.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

favorite verses of comfort

Post by m273p15c » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:31 pm

I've listed some of my favorite verses that I personally find comforting. Depending on what's troubling me, some verses may be more directly relevant to me at that moment than others. So, I've included several verses on a catalog of topics in hopes that some will be uplifting today, realizing that others may be more encouraging at other times.

I pray you find this helpful. If you have any other topics on your mind, or if you would like to talk about anything else, please let me know.

I am thankful for the opportunity to talk. Whenever you like, I hope we can talk again.

Take care,

m273p15c...

On the Hope of Seeing Our Loved Ones Again:
Paul wrote:But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words. (I Thessalonians 4:13-18)
Hope of the resurrection is a cornerstone of the gospel. Jesus' own resurrection is one of the fundamental proofs of Christianity (Acts 2:22-38; Acts 17:22-34, especially verse 31; I Corinthians 15:12-28). From the above passage we see that God intended us to remind each other of these facts to bring comfort in our sorrow. Death inevitably brings sorrow for those who remain. Like our Lord, who grieved at Lazarus' tomb even knowing that he would be raised shortly, we still grieve, partly because we miss our love ones. Although our Lord has overcome sin and death, we still suffer its sting for now. Nevertheless, we do not have to grieve like those who have no hope, who believe they will never see their loved ones again. Although we grieve, we can finally take comfort in knowing that we will see them again. Ultimately, our comfort comes in knowing that we and they can be together with the Lord in heaven forever.
Paul wrote:Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed -- in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory." "O Death, where is your sting? O Hades, where is your victory?" The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord. (I Corinthians 15:51-58)
Although we take courage, comfort, and hope while believing in the resurrection, the ultimate victory occurs when death is destroyed. When all are raised, and the righteous go home to be with their Lord and Savior. This not only gives us hope, but this hope empowers us to be diligent, faithful, and productive in good works. This message not only brings comfort, but it also brings strength, if we believe it.

On God's Sympathetic and Gentle Nature:
John wrote:Now a certain man was sick, Lazarus of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha. It was that Mary who anointed the Lord with fragrant oil and wiped His feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick. Therefore the sisters sent to Him, saying, "Lord, behold, he whom You love is sick." When Jesus heard that, He said, "This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God may be glorified through it." Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. ... So when Jesus came, He found that he had already been in the tomb four days. Now Bethany was near Jerusalem, about two miles away. And many of the Jews had joined the women around Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother. Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met Him, but Mary was sitting in the house. Then Martha said to Jesus, "Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died. But even now I know that whatever You ask of God, God will give You." Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again." Martha said to Him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day." Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?" She said to Him, "Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world." And when she had said these things, she went her way and secretly called Mary her sister, saying, "The Teacher has come and is calling for you." As soon as she heard that, she arose quickly and came to Him. Now Jesus had not yet come into the town, but was in the place where Martha met Him. Then the Jews who were with her in the house, and comforting her, when they saw that Mary rose up quickly and went out, followed her, saying, "She is going to the tomb to weep there." Then, when Mary came where Jesus was, and saw Him, she fell down at His feet, saying to Him, "Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died." Therefore, when Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who came with her weeping, He groaned in the spirit and was troubled. And He said, "Where have you laid him?" They said to Him, "Lord, come and see." Jesus wept. Then the Jews said, "See how He loved him!" And some of them said, "Could not this Man, who opened the eyes of the blind, also have kept this man from dying?" Then Jesus, again groaning in Himself, came to the tomb. It was a cave, and a stone lay against it. Jesus said, "Take away the stone." Martha, the sister of him who was dead, said to Him, "Lord, by this time there is a stench, for he has been dead four days." Jesus said to her, "Did I not say to you that if you would believe you would see the glory of God?" Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead man was lying. And Jesus lifted up His eyes and said, "Father, I thank You that You have heard Me. And I know that You always hear Me, but because of the people who are standing by I said this, that they may believe that You sent Me." Now when He had said these things, He cried with a loud voice, "Lazarus, come forth!" And he who had died came out bound hand and foot with graveclothes, and his face was wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them, "Loose him, and let him go." Then many of the Jews who had come to Mary, and had seen the things Jesus did, believed in Him. (John 11:1-45)
There are several good lessons in this passage. One, just because someone suffers death, maybe even untimely, we should not interpret that as a lack of love or concern on God's part. Jesus loved this family, but yet Lazarus still died and his family suffered and grieved at his loss. Therefore, just because we grieve over the loss of a dear one, we should not assume that either we or our loved one is not loved by God. Two, believers have the hope of an eternal home with the Lord. Even death cannot stop it, because Jesus has overcome death itself (Hebrews 2:9-15; John 16:33 teaches a similar idea, although it says that Jesus has "overcome the world"). Therefore, we can have courage and hope of life beyond death, even as we face death or deal with its aftermath. Three, even though Jesus is divine and has overcome death, He still is sympathetic to our grief. As we weep and our hearts break, we can know that our Creator and Savior weeps with us. Four, God can and often does marvelously bring good out of bad (Romans 8:28). This does not minimize or eliminate the suffering, but this knowledge can help us trust Him and maybe even grow in difficult times (James 1:2-8).
The Hebrew author wrote:... Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience. For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account. Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:11-16)
The 4th chapter of Hebrews begins by finishing a discussion on ancient Israelites, who fell away in unbelief. Although the chapter clearly contains a warning, it also reminds us of our great "High Priest", who mediates on our behalf before God's throne. Although divine, Jesus personally experienced trials similar to our own. (For example, by the time of Jesus' death, His earthly father, Joseph, is out of the picture. Maybe Joseph had died, leaving Jesus in charge to provide for Mary and His siblings (John 19:25-27)?) We can take comfort knowing that the One Who hears our prayers not only cares and knows through His omnipotence (Matthew 6:7-8) - but He also knows and cares from His experience, and consequently, He is sympathetic toward us!
The Hebrew author wrote:Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham. Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted. (Hebrews 2:14-18)
Again, we are reminded that Jesus became like us, taking the form of "flesh and blood". This allowed Him to serve as the perfect "priest", intercessor, or mediator, Who could lay his hand on the shoulder of both parties (God and man) and reconcile us, because He was both divine and human (Job 9:32-33; II Corinthians 5:17-21). However, back on our point, we can take comfort in knowing that He knows exactly what it is like to be us, human.
Isaiah wrote:"Behold! My Servant whom I uphold, My Elect One in whom My soul delights! I have put My Spirit upon Him; He will bring forth justice to the Gentiles. He will not cry out, nor raise His voice, Nor cause His voice to be heard in the street. A bruised reed He will not break, And smoking flax He will not quench; He will bring forth justice for truth. He will not fail nor be discouraged, Till He has established justice in the earth; And the coastlands shall wait for His law." (Isaiah 42:1-4)

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)
This Messianic prophesy (Isaiah 42:1-4) that foretells of Jesus' coming, some 500 plus years in advance, tells us that Jesus would exhibit a gentle nature. Even those struggling who were about to fall into despair, He would not abandon or extinguish. Instead, He would seek to heal and restore them, and in fact, that is exactly what we see Jesus doing in both His teaching and life (Matthew 12:14-21), reaching out to and restoring those who were forgotten by others (Luke 5:29-32; 15:1-32). No matter how weak we feel, we can take comfort in knowing that Jesus still seeks to nurture us gently. He knows our burdens and seeks to relieve our load. Admittedly, He has His own load that He asks us to carry, but it is "easy ... and light" compared to the burdens we carry now and into the future (II Corinthians 4:16-5:9). His "load" involves such "burdens" as "learning of Him", which only strengthens and comforts us! Other sacrifices may be more difficult, but we are assured that they are "for our good always" (Deuteronomy 6:24; I John 5:2-3).

On God's Power to Forgive:
Paul wrote:... although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man; but I obtained mercy because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. And the grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant, with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life. (I Timothy 1:13-16)
It's difficult to imagine one more sinful than was the apostle Paul, before he became a Christian. As a zealous Jew, he pursued, persecuted, tortured, and even executed faithful Christians (Acts 26:1-18)! Yet, even he found mercy and grace! If God can forgive someone who literally killed His saints, can He not forgive us? Apparently, this is one of the primary reasons Paul was chosen to be an apostle and preacher of the gospel, so the Lord could demonstrate His mercy publicly through him (I Timothy 1:1, 12, 16). So, this is one of the very lessons that God intended that we learn from Paul, that the Lord is longsuffering, gracious, and merciful, and that He came to save sinners (Luke 5:29-32).
Luke, quoting Peter, wrote:"Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ." Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?" Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. "For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call." And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, "Be saved from this perverse generation." Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. ... And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved. (Acts 2:36-47)
Although Paul persecuted Christians, there is one group of people who arguably would have been even more guilty, requiring more patience and mercy than any other - those who actually crucified Jesus. On the day of Christ's crucifixion, that mob gladly accepted the guilt and consequence of crucifying Jesus, not fully realizing what they were doing (Matthew 27:24-26; Luke 23:32-34). Nevertheless, they accepted it, and they were truly guilty of the greatest crime of all humanity, but yet even they found mercy some 50 days later on Pentecost. They realized their desperate straits, and after they cried out, they found a simple solution - simple for them, but not simple for the one Who paid the price. And, among those who crucified Jesus, over 3000 came to the Lord to be saved, and He accepted every one of them! If He can forgive and accept those who crucified Jesus, can He not also accept us, if we submit to His terms? What sin could be harder for God to forgive than killing God's only begotten Son (John 3:16)?

On God's Desire For Us to Be Saved and Redeem Us:
Peter wrote:But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. (II Peter 3:8-10)
Peter was dealing with the false conclusion that God was failing to keep His promise for the Lord to return. Even then, people had interpreted the delay in Jesus' second coming as a sign of God's impotence. However, Peter points out that the real reason for the delay was not because of the Lord's supposed forgetfulness, but because of His mercy! Apparently, a premature return would have prevented some from being saved, who would have been saved, if given some more time. The Lord wants all to be saved, and so time is granted, so they might have opportunity. Although this verse contains a warning, it also contains comfort. God is patient with us, and He does not want any of us to be lost (I Timothy 2:3-5).
Ezekiel wrote:"But if a wicked man turns from all his sins which he has committed, keeps all My statutes, and does what is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die. None of the transgressions which he has committed shall be remembered against him; because of the righteousness which he has done, he shall live. Do I have any pleasure at all that the wicked should die?" says the Lord GOD, "and not that he should turn from his ways and live? ... "Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways," says the Lord GOD. "Repent, and turn from all your transgressions, so that iniquity will not be your ruin. Cast away from you all the transgressions which you have committed, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. For why should you die, O house of Israel? For I have no pleasure in the death of one who dies," says the Lord GOD. "Therefore turn and live!" (Ezekiel 18:21-32)
Although embedded in exhortation to repent, we find yet again the reminder that God's desire is that we all be saved. In fact, He pleads with us, just as He did with ancient Israel, long ago.
John wrote:"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. (John 3:16-17)

For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. (Romans 5:6-9)

In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (I John 5:9-10)
No virtue of God is more clearly seen in the cross than God's love. The depth of such sacrifice, both on the part of the Father and the Son, is staggering to try to comprehend. The demonstration of such love should assure us that God truly loves us, and if we loves us, He is not seeking to destroy us but to save us.
Luke wrote:Then all the tax collectors and the sinners drew near to Him to hear Him. And the Pharisees and scribes complained, saying, "This Man receives sinners and eats with them." So He spoke this parable to them, saying: "What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!' I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance." (Luke 15:1-7)
We may readily accept that the Lord loves "the whole world", but we may doubt that He loves us, as a single individual. This parable shows that God not only loves the whole world, but He also loves each individual member of the whole world! We also see that what brings God the greatest joy is the restoration of one who was lost. Base don this we can know that if we are lost, without help, and without His guidance, His great attentions are on us and our redemption, as will be those who truly wear His name and love Him (John 21:15-17).
Luke and Matthew wrote:Now as He drew near, He saw the city and wept over it, saying, "If you had known, even you, especially in this your day, the things that make for your peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes. For days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment around you, surround you and close you in on every side, and level you, and your children within you, to the ground; and they will not leave in you one stone upon another, because you did not know the time of your visitation." (Luke 19:41-44)

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing! See! Your house is left to you desolate; for I say to you, you shall see Me no more till you say, 'Blessed is He who comes in the name of the LORD!' " (Matthew 23:37-39)
Just days before His crucifixion, Jesus paused on two separate occasions to lament the spurned hope for Jerusalem's salvation. He wept over those who would be crucifying Him in just a few days! As I read these passages, I can imagine Jesus' weeping, wishing to hold those people, who were pushing Him away. Although it is sorrowful to read of such rejection, and although there is a warning that the Lord's patience has limits, we can still take comfort in knowing that the Lord's first desire is to save us, not destroy us. While we have today, there is still hope in finding mercy in the arms of a loving, forgiving, and gracious God.

See also:
On God's Blessings to Overcome Sin:
Paul wrote:Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come. Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. ... (I Corinthians 10:11-14)
God's desire is that we be saved, and that we overcome sin (Genesis 4:6-7), but He does not just "desire" it. He directly helps us. How? This verse promises us two things: One, no trial or temptation falls upon us that others do not also bear. Are there differences, variations? Yes, but we are not alone in the temptations and trials we suffer. That knowledge helps us to feel better, knowing that we are not a living exception that has falling "through the cracks". Two, God has promised that we not only can overcome each temptation, He has also promised a way out. There is always some way to overcome. God will never permit us to be so cornered, such that it is impossible for us to succeed. The way may not be easy, and it may not be the way we want, but the way is there ...
Paul wrote:Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints -- (Ephesians 6:10-18)
God has not only provided a "way of escape", but He also provided the tools, the weapons and armor to be "more than conquerors through Him" (Romans 8:37). If we will but strap on the armor and "stand", He has promised that is sufficient to overcome (James 4:6-8).
Paul wrote:What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? Who shall bring a charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written: "For Your sake we are killed all day long; We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter." Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:31-39)
What is excluded by these thoughts? If He has already invested "Christ" for our sake, what can we need or ask that is "more"? Will God not be willing to provide all that we need, since He has already given us Jesus? With the exception to our own choosing, what is powerful enough to take us away from God? If we choose to be His, then what do we need to fear?
Paul wrote:And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head -- Christ -- from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love. (Ephesians 4:11-16)
Finally, one of the great blessings He has given us is the church. The joint worship, fellowship, and service that we enjoy in the Lord is a tremendous source of strength and power to overcome. We help each other in the Lord (Galatians 6:2). When we miss association with fellow Christians, outside of Bible study and prayer, we miss the single greatest tangible blessing to help us overcome and remain faithful. The very organization and mission of the church is to help its members grow spiritually, help other people to be saved and added, and finally help serve those in need. This spiritual growth helps us to avoid being deceived by false doctrines, false teachers, and the ruin that they bring. But, such growth allows us to also show love toward others and help them grow, just as we have been helped.

On the Real Hope of Understanding the Bible:
Paul wrote:... how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already, by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets: (Ephesians 3:3-5)
Occasionally, especially after encountering some of those passages that are "difficult to understand" (II Peter 3:15-18), we may feel like it is impossible to understand the Bible. However, God, through His apostles and prophets, has assured us that "when you read, you can understand" (see NIV and NASV versions). We may have to "give diligence" (II Timothy 2:15), which may require much time, prayer, and meditation, but we can know that He believes He has communicated His will toward us. Will we doubt Him?
Paul wrote:All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (II Timothy 3:16-17)
Many passages and points teach us about the power and importance of God's Word (Psalm 119, for example), but suffice it to say, God's Word, the Bible is God's "power to save" (Romans 1:16), and it will not fail in the task God gave it (Isaiah 55:10-11). The One who made our eyes, our hearts, and our brains is the same One, Who inspired the Scriptures and promised us, "when you read, you can understand". (Compare to Exodus 4:10-14.)

Again, keep in mind that one of God's helps that sustain our hope is the promise to make teachers available (Ephesians 4:11-16; Acts 8:30-35), and wise friends can also be great helps (Proverbs 27:17).

On God's Promise to Help and Guide Us:
David wrote:The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the LORD Forever. (Psalm 23:1-6).
A favorite among many believers, this psalm of David expresses confidence in the Lord's watch and care over us, even in the most difficult of times.

I pray you find these helpful. You know I am here for you. If I can ever do anything to help, please let me know. You will continue to be in my heart, thoughts, and prayers. :)

m273p15
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)

email
Non-Member

Re: favorite verses of comfort

Post by email » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Wow - I've not started looking at all this yet - but Thanks so much. I know it will be helpfully for me.

Need to go for now - I can't say thanks enough.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Re: favorite verses of comfort

Post by m273p15c » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:50 pm

No problem. I hope the Scriptures will prove helpful at some point. If you ever need me, just let me know. I would be glad to help in any way that I can at any time. ... take care ... m273p15c
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)