Finding a Bible believing church

Container for all otherwise uncategorized thoughts and meanderings.

Moderator: grand_puba

BroPearson

Finding a Bible believing church

Post by BroPearson » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:12 pm

I got saved in 1997, and served the Lord in a Holiness church for a number of years. They preached trinity, Speaking in tongue, live righteous, pray a lot, witness, and separation from the world.

When I saw that they were way too controlling and did not care about people I left, but thinking they were the only church right I had no where to go but sin, as they taught me.. Note I got saved by reading the Bible outside of church.

Fast forward now. I got saved again believe it or not by watching youtube, and now I'm looking for another Bible believing church, but there is NONE around here that believes or teaches what the Bible says, like we can lose our salvation, or the trinity or the Holy Ghost speaking in tongues. Also I haven't seen any who pray or witness together.

I have called and visited many churches in the area, all of them never preach the truth, as from what I read in the Bible, there is one church here that I know of that is a split from my original church, but it's way to loud in there and they add to the word of God. Like a man can't even talk to or look at a sister, even in the eyes. Way to extreme, and over what God says...
So I've been witnessing to people offering Bible studies on Salvation to work the fields like we are called to do. I get my preaching from YouTube, there are some good solid preaching there. But I have no clue where to go for a Bible believing church.

What is a brother to do? Any advice?

m273p15c

NT tongue-speaking

Post by m273p15c » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:05 pm

Hi Mr. Pearson,

You have raised a couple of very good questions. Here, I'd like to focus on the doctrinal questions: trinity, tongue-speaking, once-saved-always-saved, and Holy Ghost.

I would concur that the Godhead consists of 3 distinct, unified, divine Beings, often referred to as the Trinity. I would also agree that the idea of "once-saved-always-saved" is false. A person can indeed surrender their salvation and become lost again. Just for reference, we have a few articles on these points here:
However, I am not sure that we would agree on the Holy Spirit using miraculous tongue-speaking today. In short, I understand that tongue-speaking and miraculous signs belonged to the 1st century, apostles, and those who received miraculous gifts through the apostles "laying hands" on them (I Corinthians 13:8-13; Zechariah 13:1-6; Acts 8:13-20; 19:1-6, 11-12; II Timothy 1:6). Furthermore, New Testament tongue-speaking should never occur spontaneously, simultaneously, or without immediate translation (I Corinthians 14:22-33, 37-40), and it is always under the control of the speaker (I Corinthians 14:32).

How do you read?
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)

BroPearson

Re: Finding a Bible believing church

Post by BroPearson » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:38 pm

The gifts of the Spirit and speaking in tongues. . I've only seen it happen one in all my years of attending church. But I have spoken in tongues before without anyone ever informing me about such. Like I said I got saved reading my Bible, and I experienced and saw wondrous things before man got a hold of me with their on doctrine.

So as for praying in tongue I say yes that's for us today. Someday I'll share my testimony it's may be unbelievable to some but it's for the glory of God. Now I'm not ashamed to share it no matter what people think.. But anyway besides the speaking in tongues issue, what am I to do about not having a church. I have my own vision of something but I'm not sure if it's of God or myself. If I could get a group of 5 truly born again people to fellowship with I'll be happy. We could reach the lost together but I don't want to start something without the hand of God in it.

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:24 pm

BroPearson wrote:what am I to do about not having a church. I have my own vision of something but I'm not sure if it's of God or myself. If I could get a group of 5 truly born again people to fellowship with I'll be happy.
I sent you a private message regarding this.
BroPearson wrote:The gifts of the Spirit and speaking in tongues. . I've only seen it happen one in all my years of attending church. But I have spoken in tongues before without anyone ever informing me about such. Like I said I got saved reading my Bible, and I experienced and saw wondrous things before man got a hold of me with their on doctrine.

So as for praying in tongue I say yes that's for us today. Someday I'll share my testimony it's may be unbelievable to some but it's for the glory of God. Now I'm not ashamed to share it no matter what people think.
I understand your conviction in your experience, but please consider this: In the Old Testament times, there were many people who believed they received visions, prophesies, and other miraculous experiences (Jeremiah 6:16-21; 14:14; 23:16-36; 29:8-9). The NT even foresaw people claiming to have received further revelation (Galatians 1:6-9). But, all of these were false. People may misunderstand their experiences for various reasons. It is not uncommon.

So, first, what does the Scriptures teach about modern tongue-speaking, regardless of your experience? If we ignore the Scriptures' testimony, then how can we proclaim to be a a Bible believing people? Second, would you be willing to "test" your experiences against the Bible standard (Deuteronomy 13:1-3; I John 4:1; I Thessalonians 5:21)?
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)

BroPearson

Post by BroPearson » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:15 pm

I Read your scriptures, and I'm not bring a vision of the Lord or a revelation or anyone. I'm don't bring a word from the Lord, I'm just saying What Jesus did for me to get me saved is what he did for me. One million other people may never experience what I have but that doesn't make what happened to me untrue because anyone else didn't experience it. Or because you can't read about it in the Bible.

But in short what led me to pray for salvation Was I saw the glory of what I think was the Lord. Then when I prayed the holy Ghost told me I was not sincere, I answered I wasn't, so I prayed again, then he said confess it with your mouth Mind you no one ever told me this then.. I prayed with my spoken word, then I felt a weight lift from off of my shoulders like a sweater was pulled off of me. Then my spiritual eyes were opened, I turned to the guy next to me in truck and told him he needs to get saved because I just got saved, he said he was a Muslim, I said I'm a Baptist it don't matter god save me he can save you. Then from there I witness to everybody. I'm not going to let you take anything from me because you wasn't there and you don't know me you could be a doubting Thomas all you want, but for the glory of God he did for me what he did. And showed me his glory for about a minute and a half. Broad daylight in the middle of the day. It was not from the Devil because it got me saved. GOD told me to get rid of things that I never new was sin, I would dream and read about my dream in the newspaper the next day three days in a row ,The exact dream.

In wisdom I witness to a atheist, to the amazement of all bystanders, when it was over the Holy Spirit told me "that would come back to me", 4 years later the devil was tormenting my thoughts of "there is no God", a brother out of the blue came to me and said, someone told me about what you did in the desert to a atheist guy, and I use that on an atheist today, he said that was amazing," instantly the Holy Spirit said "it came back to you." And that battle of the mind was won. Yes God was with me in a reality. So in fact what God did for me, got me saved so why would he lead me to something that is false if God save me and taught me without men influence?

All

m273p15c

experience or baptism, man's word or God's Word?

Post by m273p15c » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:00 am

BroPearson wrote:I Read your scriptures, and I'm not bring a vision of the Lord or a revelation or anyone. I'm don't bring a word from the Lord, I'm just saying What Jesus did for me to get me saved is what he did for me. One million other people may never experience what I have but that doesn't make what happened to me untrue because anyone else didn't experience it. Or because you can't read about it in the Bible.
Although you may not realize it, you actually are proclaiming a word from the Lord. How were you saved? Is that now how you are teaching others to be saved? You are using your experience as the pattern for salvation for others. ... Is that pattern the same as the one delivered in the Bible? I can find lots of men, TV evangelists, YouTube preachers, and radio hosts, who claim the same, but what does the Scripture say?
Luke, the inspired historian, wrote:"'And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.'" (Acts 22:16)

Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?" Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 2:37-38)
It seems your experience has led you to believe that one is saved at the point of a supernatural experience; however, even Saul (later an apostle, who was renamed, Paul), who did see a heavenly vision, and who prayed and neither ate nor drank for 3 days (Acts 9:8-11), and who even received an additional heavenly vision during that time (Acts 9:12), even he was not saved until he was baptized and "washed away his sins" (Acts 22:16)! What did you do or what happened to you that did not happen to Saul during that 3 day period, before he was baptized and saved?

Go through the book of Acts. How were New Testament Christians saved?

God's Plan of Salvation

Will you trust in God's Word or your experience? I ask only kindly and humbly for our joint benefit and that of those who we will still influence.

BroPearson

Post by BroPearson » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:18 pm

Acts 4:12 , Matt 1:21, Only Jesus saves us, not water. There are lots of sinners who have gotten baptized yet they have never been saved. THe thief one the cross went to paradise, He didn't go to hell he didn't get baptized. he went to the same place As the
The begger at the rich man's gate, and the rich man lifted up his eyes In Hell. If a person prays for salvation and then dies before they get baptized they go to heaven. JESUS SAVES, NOT WATER. But if we refuse baptism then that is a sin. Baptism is just an outward confession of an inward work.

October 15th 2014 gave my life to the Lord again. This time it took me 5 prayers, 5 days to be sincere enough to get saved, when I realized there was a change in my heart, desire, will, ambition, my goals I knew Jesus saved me, now I have to build on that new heart with obedience to his word. I haven't been baptized yet, but if I die my sins are forgiving, and I'm repenting of my sins when the light of God's word, or the Holy Spirit shows me I'm wrong and I'll go to heaven.

I'm wanting to be baptized but I don't have a church yet, and there are no brothers around me to do it. But thanks be to God I have been forgiven. That what's get you to heaven.

BroPearson

Post by BroPearson » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:24 pm

And when I say repent, I mean To turn from my sin not to go back to it, so when I see myself doing something that is sin, I immediately stop ask for forgiveness, and don't continue in that. This will bring forth habit until the work of obedience becomes second nature. only the blood of Christ can give a believer that power, not water baptism.

m273p15c

baptism in the name of Jesus for the remission of sins

Post by m273p15c » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:41 pm

Thanks for the quick answer! :)
BroPearson wrote:Acts 4:12 , Matt 1:21, Only Jesus saves us, not water.
Who said water saves us instead of Jesus? Why would one exclude the other? Please let us consider the passages you referenced:
Luke and Mathew wrote:"Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12)

"And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins." (Matthew 1:21)
What in these verses excludes baptism? They only limit salvation from sins to Jesus' name. So, does Jesus have the right to choose how to save us? What if we wanted all of us to jump in and out of a bucket 7 times, would that be ok? What if He told us to be baptized to be saved, would that not be His choice? Should we argue with Him, because His choice - baptism - does not fit our theology or the popular teaching of the day? What did Jesus say?
Matthew wrote:And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen. (Matthew 28:18-20)
And, that's what the apostles did!
Luke wrote: Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?" Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 2:37-38)
If Jesus commanded us to be baptized, and if His holy apostles - whom Jesus sent and the Spirit inspired - said baptism was required for forgiveness of sins, then who are we rejecting, when we reject baptism's part in our salvation?
BroPearson wrote:There are lots of sinners who have gotten baptized yet they have never been saved. THe thief one the cross went to paradise, He didn't go to hell he didn't get baptized.
True, even Adam and Eve did not get baptized. Why? They lived and died in a time before Jesus' gave the command to be baptized, which was given after his death and resurrection. How could any of these folks - including the thief on the cross - have obeyed a command that had not yet been given? The thief does not prove what you have suggested. More here:

The Thief on the Cross
BroPearson wrote:JESUS SAVES, NOT WATER. But if we refuse baptism then that is a sin. Baptism is just an outward confession of an inward work.
Please do not take this the wrong way, but is it fair to say the above is your explanation and opinion, since it is not based in any cited Scripture? ... Again, if Jesus commands us to be baptized in water, and if we obey Him, how are we really saved? Is it not by Jesus, since we are baptized in His name and by His command?

Also, could you explain why Saul was not saved by his heavenly vision? Why were his sins only "washed away", when he was baptized (Acts 22:16)? Also, what about all the other conversions recorded in Acts, as was cited in the above link?

I look forward to your thoughts from Scripture.

BroPearson

Post by BroPearson » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:40 pm

Now my experience at salvation was extraordinary I know that. (That makes me nothing more than anyone else. Glory to God he appeared unto me, for his glory, I can say without a doubt I've seen the Lord.) If i went into details it would sound so crazy that's why I rarely tell people, let alone go into details.. But anyway My question is. You don't think a person will have a supernatural change of heart after they get saved? Other than what happened to me and a few others in this world. I know there is an spiritual eye opening, and a change of heart in everyone. I mean a person is made new. Things are different you don't believe that? Man something literally happens to you at the moment of salvation. Yes I think everyone has that experience. buddy it's real!!!!
This time around for me, after praying I looked for a change of heart. It took 5 days and 5 prayers. If I did not get a change of heart I would be religious struggling with sins.... there will be something supernatural happen in your heart. You don't know that??

A person will know when they got saved. You're heart instantly changes. It may take a day or so to notice, but something different happens to you at salvation.

I can't express myself online. But you Must know what I mean!!

m273p15c

experience or Bible

Post by m273p15c » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:25 am

So, your experience trumps the Scriptures? I just want to make sure that I understand you. :)