water baptism has saving power?

What can I do to be saved? Place to discuss sin and its remedy.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Post by email » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:39 pm

I only have one question. Do you really believe that water in a baptismal pool or river has the saving power that will allow you to go to heaven?
I believe that baptism is very important as a matter of fact Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist. I am saved and was baptized. But i do not believe that the water that i was dunked under will allow me to go to heaven. i am saved by grace alone!
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:24 am

I apologize for the long delay, but the answer to your question is "yes and no". No, I do not believe that baptism has the power to save. The power resides in God. However, yes, God has set baptism forth as a requirement for our salvation:
And corresponding to that, baptism now saves you-- not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience-- through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
(I Peter 3:21, NASV)
Baptism is an appeal of sorts. Through it, one calls on God to save them, removing one's sins, as seen here:
'And now why do you delay? Arise, and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.' (Acts 22:16)
About your being saved by grace alone, let me ask you: Were you required to believe in Jesus to be saved? If faith was required on your part, then were you not saved by grace (God's doing) and faith (your doing) - not grace alone?

If you can accept faith as a requirement for salvation, then why can you not accept baptism? Logically, any "door" through which faith is ushered, baptism can also enter.
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)