Is it too late for me?

What can I do to be saved? Place to discuss sin and its remedy.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Is it too late for me?

Post by email » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:01 pm

Hey,

I am 16 years old. When I was younger I was really into church, however my parents were not so into the gospel. It isn't that they didn't believe in God it was just that they thought church unneccasary and inconvient. After a while I stopped going, probably about a year ago. In that time I fell apart and away from God and committed an array of sins I never thought that I could. Satan had such a strong hold on me but I am attempting to come back to God. I can feel it weighing on my heart. I need to ask, if I can still be forgiven. In the Bible it talks about those coming to God being forgiven but what about those who knew the teachings of God and the difference between right and wrong and knowingly sinned against Him? What about those who turned their backs on Him? Is there still hope for me? If so how should I go about getting back into the grace of God?

I appreiciate your time in reviewing my email.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:50 pm

It is never too late, as long as you are honestly considering repentance. The Bible contains many examples of people, who committed horrible sins, and yet they found mercy in the Lord:
  • Saul the Persecutor - Saul was a terrible person, who persecuted early Christians. He tortured them, forcing them to blaspheme Jesus' name, just so they could find relief from their torture. He even killed Christians, because of their faith. However, in spite of all this, he was converted (Acts 9:1-22; 26:1-3). Eventually, Saul changed his name to Paul. In fact, he became an apostle, and he wrote the majority of the Scriptures that make up our New Testaments! The Lord intentionally highlighted Paul as an example of God's mercy and longsuffering nature (I Timothy 1:12-16).
  • King Manasseh - In the Old Testament, Manasseh was an extremely wicked king, if not the worst. He sacrificed his own children in the fire to pagan idols. In fact, Judah never really recovered from his wicked influence. Very shortly after his reign, Judah was destroyed, and a remnant was carried into Babylonian captivity. Manasseh was carried into captivity, but while in his prison cell, he repented, and God forgave him! See II Chronicles 33:1-23 and II Kings 21:1-20 for the narrative.
If these people can be forgiven, anybody can be forgiven! God is merciful, and He does not want anybody to be lost (II Peter 3:9; Ezekiel 18:23, 30-32 ). It is never too late, if you will but repent.

That being said, there is a grave danger to deceive ourselves into thinking we can put off repentance until tomorrow. The Scriptures are filled with warnings to those, who put off repentance (Hebrews 3:7-19). God will not be mocked by such foolish plans to outsmart Him. Such plans will result in either early death or a hardened heart, unable to repent.

Bottom line: If your conscience is pricking you to do something, it is not too late. However, if you think you can put it off until tomorrow, your window of opportunity is beginning to close. Every minute makes your condition more perilous, and harder to reverse.

Remember if God can forgive those who crucified His Son, then He can forgive you - just don't put it off!

Please let me know, if I can be of anymore help.

May God bless us with an ever increasing love of the truth (II Thessalonians 2:9-12)
Last edited by m273p15c on Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

email
Non-Member

Post by email » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:44 pm

Hey,

Thank you so much for responding to my email so quickly. I truley appreciate it. I am very serious about recommiting my life to Christ. I already have taken some steps toward that goal. I told my freinds that I am not going to be drinking, smoking, or partying anymore and they told me they would do their best to keep me out of those situations and to help me stay strong. I also talked to the boy I am sort of dating and I told him that I have decided to turn my life back to God and that I can't do some of the things I used to. He told me he is completely cool with that and that he respects my decisions. He is very supportive and promised me he wouldn't let me go back on my word to God involving him. So I think those are good steps so far. I also am currently trying to find a church to attend. I drive soon so I will just drive myself there. I also pulled out my Bible and some of my devotional books. If I am going to try to live by God's word its probably a smart idea to emerse myself in it and have knowledge of it. If there is anything else that you think would be helpful or a good step to take I would gladly accept the advice. Once again thank you so much!
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:34 pm

No problem. I was glad to share what wisdom has been shared with me.

If you like, send me your city name, and I'll see if I can find a friend, with whom you could study in person. I am sure he would be glad to study with other friends too, boyfriends, etc. If you are interested, this is the way it would work: I would send you an e-mail address, church building address, phone number, etc, and leave it up to you to pursue a study. That way you would be in control. If it still spooks you, then don't worry about it. Just be 100% earnest in your efforts to find God. He is revealed clearly in the person and life of Jesus, as recorded in the Scriptures (Hebrews 1:1-2; II Timothy 3:16-17; John 20:30-31).

If you need help, God will send you a teacher (Acts 8:26-40). Just remember to be diligent in your search and prayer to that end (Matthew 7:7-11; Acts 10:1-48; 17:22-31). God doesn't use angels and the Spirit to speak directly to people any more. Their time and purpose has passed (I Corinthians 13:8-11); however, He still works providentially helping "paths to cross", so be faithful in your search and prayers.

Truth is found in Scripture. If some source is using pop psychology, feel good stories, but no Scripture, it is not God's wisdom to which you are listening (I Corinthians 2:1-5).

Let me know, if I can help on anything else.

One last thing, the prophet Isaiah warned Israel not to trust in the nation of Egypt to protect them from captivity. He told them to look to God, instead of political alliances for their safety. He used the illustration of a man leaning on a broken reed, which broke under his weight, and then impaled him. I hope your friends are godly people themselves, or are trying to be. If they are not, do not believe you can lean on them. If a temptation becomes hard for you to resist, how will your friends help you, if they do not lean on God themselves? Spend some time meditating on I Corinthians 15:33 and II Corinthians 6:11-7:1. It may not be applicable to your situation, but I would have failed you, if I didn't at least provide you with an early warning.

If you have some topics you would like to be addressed on our web-site, please let me know. Either I, or someone else will be happy to address them. Of course, you can always post questions on our forums too.

Please let me know if I can help.

May God bless us with open eyes and open ears.