comment on using fear and hell to motivate Christians

What can I do to be saved? Place to discuss sin and its remedy.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

comment on using fear and hell to motivate Christians

Post by email » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:00 pm

I was pleased with the thorough research and good thoughts that went into your article called “Does Hell Exist and is it Eternal?” However, I have a problem with the last sentence of the conclusion where it is stated: “Continue your quest for truth and learn God's will for you, so that you may be saved from hell,” (emphasis added). The Bible makes it clear that our motivation as Christians cannot be fear, but that we are motivated by the Holy Spirit and our love of Christ to do God’s will. It is an empty faith that lives on fear of hell, and one that cannot grow or be fruitful. I would suggest that, instead of ending your article in the present manner, that you turn your focus instead to the Gospel and remind readers that Jesus suffered to deliver them from eternal torment. Our goal as Christians is not “to be saved from Hell,” but to strive in the spirit to achieve God’s will and serve him to the best of our abilities. Love, not fear, is the Christian’s motivator.

Thanks for your consideration

(Please see this article for background: http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles/hell.html )
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

good point - I almost agree completely

Post by m273p15c » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:17 pm

Thanks for your kind comments and suggestions. I agree with your thought and sentiment; however, I must respectfully disagree with its absoluteness, as I understood your point.

Yes, fear is not the most noble motivation for the Christian. Neither, is it the most powerful. The Christian's strength is in being like God, learning to love as He loves (I John 4:7-11). Personal evangelism is a perfect proof case of this very point:

People are often driven to personal evangelism out of fear, fear for their own salvation. However, people find ways to rationalize their own safety. Fear can be compromised with rationalization, and we humans have become very good at rationalizing. However, love cannot be rationalized. It will not fail (I Corinthians 13:8). Therefore, I agree. The mature Christian should be driven 100% by love, else he is not mature:
John, the apostle, wrote:"Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love." (I John 4:17-18)
Clearly, this context is not arguing that anybody who fears is not really a Christian or saved (see I Peter 1:17; 2:17; et al. - same Greek word, phobos). The point is that people driven by fear are not yet mature. They have not yet been perfected, specifically by love!

Therefore, I would suggest that fear has its place. It can and should be used as a motivation to move the immature and unregenerate. Did not Jesus use it as a warning (Matthew 5:29-30; 13:40-42, 48-50; 25:30-36; et al.)? Why else did He mention it, if He did not want us to be afraid of it? Why did He not limit the discussion to heaven, if God's love was the only proper motivation? Was He throwing us off track by telling us of the dreaded place? Surely not.

If anyone is immature, it is definitely those who do not believe in hell or the possibility of eternal punishment there. People who live in such gross denial are the very people who need to be aware of hell and fear it the most!

However, I agree one should not go overboard. That is not the sole motivation, nor is it the most important, but consider this: No prophet spoke of hell and "hell fire" more than Jesus! In fact, Jesus coined the term, "hell fire". I think it interesting that One who created all things (Colossians 1:16), which necessarily includes the prison gates of Hell, was the one who warned us more than any other, you do not want to go there! The only messenger from God, who ever saw hell and lived to tell about it, was the one who spoke the most about it. I think Jesus' usage of hell as a motivating factor, especially considering his resume, is justification enough - even wisdom - for me.

In the article, the words you emphasized were actually a link to the topic of conversion and salvation. However, I believe you are correct. That is not sufficient balance on the point. Even though the concluding paragraph alludes, "fear is not the most noble motivation", the most noble motivation should be clearly named, outlined, and justified. I think a new article on this very point should be written, and it should be linked into the closing of the existing article with more direct mention of this point.

To me, the concluding key is this, "Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all men. For I have not shunned to declare to you the whole counsel of God." (Acts 20:26-27). Hell is an essential tenet of Jesus' teaching and the gospel. Therefore, I think we should preach and teach on it, even use it to exhort people, because it is part of the "whole gospel". Until all men are "made perfect in love", I believe we should both continue to preach and teach it, however, not exclusively nor to the exclusion of God's love; otherwise, how can they ever be made perfect?

JSM17

Post by JSM17 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:49 am

Phil 2:12-13

12 So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation withfear and trembling; 13 for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.
NASU

Fear has many aspects it is not all bad, we have to look at this in light of how children view thier parents in fear it is not a terror, but a reverent fear of God and judgment, we should deal with talking about fear the same way Christ did. Also the Apostles and prophets spoke of the judgment coming and what was waiting for those who did not fear the Lord, why should we be any different, they are our examples.