Do I really need religion to be saved?

What can I do to be saved? Place to discuss sin and its remedy.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Religion

Post by email » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:45 pm

Inquiry in Reference To: [url=http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles ... stian.html]http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles ... stian.html[/url]
What if I have no religion but I believe in God and Jesus and I behave really well? Do I really need a religion
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Religion

Post by m273p15c » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:36 pm

That's a good question. How do you define "religion"? What does that word mean to you? It means different things to different people, so I wanted to make sure we are on the same page.

Thanks!

May God help us to have a sincere love of truth (II Thessalonians 2:9-12),

m273p15c
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)

email
Non-Member

RE: Religion

Post by email » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:45 pm

thanks for ansewting so fast. To me religion means what we believe in. I think that is what it means but I do want to be a christian.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Re: Religion

Post by m273p15c » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:02 am

I'm sorry for the lengthy delay in responding to you. Thanks again for your good question! :)

There is both a simplicity and an incredible challenge in being a Christian. I would encourage you to look over this article about being a Christian:

http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles/salvation.html

And, we have a handful of related articles listed at the top of this page, here:

http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles

In addition to those articles, it is important to understand that the main point of the gospel is the transformation and growth of our character through trust (faith), love, and obedience. Faith in God is required; however, it is not a blind faith, or a faith without reason, evidence, or foundation. God wants us to trust Him - not because some man assumed authority for himself and said we should trust God - but, because the evidence shows not only God's existence - but also His love and faithfulness to us!
"Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead." (Acts 17:30-31 NKJ)

And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name. (John 20:30-31 NKJ)
God has provided miraculous evidence to confirm the gospel, primarily the resurrection of Jesus, but also all the miracles that He and His apostles worked, which testimony they sealed in faithful martyrdom.

We develop this faith by hearing, accepting, and believing the gospel:
So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Romans 10:17 NKJ)
However, our part is not limited to just mental acceptance. We must also obey the gospel message. Jesus forewarns us that many people will be surprised on that last day, a day of final judgment:
"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!' (Matthew 7:21-23 NKJ)
Faithful obedience is a challenge, but God graciously provides the spiritual tools and forgiveness we need to grow and overcome:
For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, (II Corinthians 10:3-5 NKJ)

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints (Ephesians 6:10-18 NKJ)

My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world. Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. (I John 2:1-5 NKJ)
I pray you find these thoughts helpful an encouraging. Much more should be explained, so if you would like to know more - or if you are interested in finding a faithful church in your area that teaches just the Bible and nothing more, no creeds of men, please look over the articles I mentioned, and let me know how I can help.

May God help us to have a sincere love of truth,

m273p15c
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)