Should the book be judged by its cover?

Do you have questions about the nature, work, purpose, or pattern for the church? This is the place to share your thoughts and questions with others.

Moderator: grand_puba

Robert the evangelist

Should the book be judged by its cover?

Post by Robert the evangelist » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:10 pm

I am a preacher in the Lord's church. I have taken 6 months or so off to get some insurance issues straightened out and now I am looking again for a sound conservative congregation. Upon my searching I had a congregations spokesperson attack me as being institutional. It was interesting the arguments he used to say that I am in support of the institutional views. Simply put, he said because I fellowship entire congregations of people I am of the same view. Unfortunately this is not the case. I hold very conservative or should I say Biblical views. I guess my point is: we should all be very careful of who we label. I listened to a preacher once say just because someone attends a congregation doesn't mean that he/she necessarily agrees with what is going on or what is being taught. That being said, I don't agree that we should jump into boiling water. I wonder what anyone's thoughts on this are.

Rob
If ye love me, ye will keep my commandments. John 14:15

m273p15c

Remember Lot.

Post by m273p15c » Fri May 13, 2005 1:18 pm

Robert the evangelist wrote:... Simply put, he said because I fellowship entire congregations of people I am of the same view. Unfortunately this is not the case. I hold very conservative or should I say Biblical views. I guess my point is: we should all be very careful of who we label. I listened to a preacher once say just because someone attends a congregation doesn't mean that he/she necessarily agrees with what is going on or what is being taught. That being said, I don't agree that we should jump into boiling water. ...
Two passages came to mind after reading your post:
John by the Holy Spirit wrote:"And to the angel of the church in Sardis write,'These things says He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: "I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God. Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you. You have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." ' (Revelation 3:1-6)
Although this church was considered "dead" by Jesus, there were still some members "even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments". Therefore, if we see a church that is dead by all appearances to us, we cannot assume that every individual in the church is also spiritually dead. Consequently, we should avoid prejudging a person based on the church, which they attend. Who knows? They could be fighting to bring the church back from the dead. We have neither the right nor the ability to pass such judgement, unless we believe Jesus was incorrect in His assessment of these few pure saints in Sardis...

Although this says we should not be quick to judge, it does not say that we should not be quick to respond. If we see a brother doing something that we think is wrong, should we let him continue in it?
James by the Holy Spirit wrote:"Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins." (James 5:19-20)
Although love gives everyone the benefit of the doubt (I Corinthians 13:4-7), it also reaches out to those who are in danger of judgment before God, because it cannot suffer that doubt.

However, this only speaks to our responsibilities as observers and brothers, looking on a person with concern, who is attending a church of questionable Scripturalness. To address our willingness to support a congregation that is practicing error, please consider these passages:
Paul by the Holy Spirit wrote:"Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not be partakers with them. For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them". (Ephesians 5:6-11)

"Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?" (II Corinthians 6:14)
John by the Holy Spirit wrote:"For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. Look to yourselves, that we do not lose those things we worked for, but that we may receive a full reward. Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds." (II John 1:7-11)
These passages teach us to avoid close fellowship with those who practice what we cannot for two reasons: 1) Lest they influence us to be like them (I Corinthians 15:33), and 2) Lest we support and encourage them in their sin.

If I am attending a congregation that is practicing error, and I am not actively, publicly and privately, teaching against this error, then that is proof that the church has already begun to negatively influence me. I have started to tolerate and accept their error. My silence is form of acquiescence and acceptance of their error. If I find my self in such a case, I either need to begin to work to turn the tide, or I need pick up my pearls and move on... Oh, and don't forget the example of Lot. Although your "righteous soul" may be vexed by the surrounding "wickedness" (II Peter 2:7-9), that doesn't mean that such wickedness won't destroy your children (Genesis 19:1-36). Your choice to stay in a corrupt environment may not destroy you, but it may destroy someone you love... We should not forget to count the cost, if we decide to launch into a so-called "missonary" effort to save a dying, or dead church.