covering for the Lord's Supper?

Do you have questions about the nature, work, purpose, or pattern for the church? This is the place to share your thoughts and questions with others.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Post by email » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:40 pm

I have a question that I've pondered over the years regarding the elements of Lord's Supper. I am of the baptist faith and partake of the Lord's Supper once a month. The communion table consists of wine and unleavened bread. The table is usually covered with a white table cover (meaning over the bread and wine). Is there any significance in the white covering? (scriptural)

Thank you for sharing your time.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:30 pm

email wrote:The communion table consists of wine and unleavened bread. The table is usually covered with a white table cover (meaning over the bread and wine). Is there any significance in the white covering? (scriptural)
This is a great question. I think this practice exemplifies two things which we humans do well. Please forgive me as I digress...

Once a parallel, or figure is established, we are good at finding additional associations, which were never intended. For example, sometimes we fall into the trap of finding extra parallels in Jesus' parables. Once we find them, we assume they must be true, because they sound good. We have to be careful about stretching any Bible illustration beyond its intended scope and design.

Second, this practice shows how good we are at making a trivial thing into a tradition, making the tradition into symbol, turning the symbol into faith, and finally transforming the symbol into law. Although we must be careful not to "take away" from God's revealed will, we must also strive to avoid "adding to" it (I Peter 4:11; Revelation 22:18-19; Galatians 1:6-7).

I have not discovered any discussion about this practice in the Scripture. However, Jesus does detail the significance of the other items:
And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, "Take, eat; this is My body." Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom." Matthew 26:26-29
My understanding is that many years ago (100-200 ?), in the days before they had air conditioning, the church buildings would have open windows and possibly unrestricted doors. Consequently, flies and other pests would buzz in and out of the building. The white cloth served as a convenient way of protecting the elements from these dirty bugs.

Eventually air conditioning was introduced, but people had become accustomed to the pure, white cloth that was draped over the table, and consequently, some were hesitant to change. Since some were resistant to change a long standing "tradition", they found new symbolism in the white covering, justifying its existence. Consequently, its origin was forgotten, and the practice was maintained in multiple congregations.

Since there is no Scriptural foundation for its practice, I would personally be against requiring it. Since the Scriptures offer no specific alternative (a matter of indifference to God), it seems to be a matter of judgment to me. It seems fine to keep, but people should know its origin to prevent the unnecessary division and strife of future generations, just in case the modern expediency for some reason becomes unexpedient.

Some articles on the general topic of the Lord's Supper are available on the main site:

http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles ... upper.html
http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles ... pper2.html