Church Organization: Secretary? Treasurer?

Do you have questions about the nature, work, purpose, or pattern for the church? This is the place to share your thoughts and questions with others.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Church Organization: Secretary? Treasurer?

Post by email » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:00 pm

Hi,

I have questions regarding officers of the church such as Secretary and Treasurer? Where do they fit in in terms of your list... Elders, Deacons, etc.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Church Organization

Post by m273p15c » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:55 pm

In short, they would not fit in. These works carry no authority, whether it is being a "secretary", "treasurer", "grounds-keeper", "janitor", "door unlocker", "song leader", or such like. Therefore, they are not a true "office". They represent saints doing a particular job or service for the congregation.

The positions of elder and deacon have both qualifications and some decision-making authority, whereas the other works should have no qualification or authority other than the ability to perform the job faithfully.

In practice, a church that has elders and deacons could very well assign deacons for such jobs, which would be wise for tasks that carry a higher degree of responsibility, like maintaining the accounting books.

In a nutshell, elders and deacons are assigned a broad scope of tasks. When a particular task is completed, their authority and position persists, whereas the other "assignments" cease as soon as the particular work is completed or handed-off. For example, when I step down from leading a prayer, I cease being the "prayer leader". However, if I complete a particular task as a deacon, I would continue to be a deacon, assuming I still satisfy all the Scriptural qualifications.

If this helps, where I worship, we do not have a "secretary" or a "treasurer", although one of the deacons is responsible for generating financial reports. One of the members writes the checks; however, it takes 2 to 3 elders to sign them. No one person has exclusive control or oversight of the financials. This is done in order to satisfy the example given in the New Testament, where multiple messengers were chosen to deliver contributions to a needy church ("providing honorable things, not only in the sight of the Lord, but also in the sight of men," II Corinthians 8:18-23).

I pray this helps.

m273p15c
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)