are elders required in the church?

Do you have questions about the nature, work, purpose, or pattern for the church? This is the place to share your thoughts and questions with others.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

are elders required in the church?

Post by email » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:50 pm

I want to learn and relearn Biblical teachings on the need and Biblical reasons why we have elders and if this is a requirement.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

elders in the church

Post by m273p15c » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:55 pm

Thanks for the good question! Please look over this article, and let me know if it does not answer your questions:

http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles/elders.html

If you have any feedback, questions, or concerns, please send them to me. I would be glad to hear them.
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)

email
Non-Member

Re: elders in the church

Post by email » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:26 pm

I read this article before I emailed you. I graduated from a COC college.. I took Bible every day, I truly believe that Churches need and should have plurality of leadership. I regret having to tell you, but I am somewhat discouraged with what I am seeing with a lot of Churches. I am currently trying to find a New Testament church, teaching nothing but what the Inspired Word says,,,,,I do believe , I am searching and researching for myself what the Word is teaching.....That's why I am reaching out for input.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

elders in the church

Post by m273p15c » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:20 pm

It truly is a shame that many are either not teaching or not practicing what the Bible says. I too admit that can be discouraging. However, we must not let such become a stumbling block for us, who desire to discern, practice, and teach exactly what the Bible says.

I believe the article link represents what the Bible teaches. I don't think you will find references to Alexander Campbell or a "Church of Christ" creed any where in the article. Both the introduction and conclusion speak to the need for elders ("appoint what is lacking", Titus 1:5).

If you find anything in the article that you think is unsupported by Scripture, please let me know. If you have questions, beyond what was written, please let me know. I can recommend additional resources for input, if you so desire, but I do not want you to think they are my creed.
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)

email
Non-Member

Re: elders in the church

Post by email » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:44 pm

I agree and I do want to find a church that practices what the scripture says I in no way want to or need to put down the c of c or any other church..... we need in church and government to get back to doing the right things in all our areas of life. I do want to continue to search and learn.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

elders in the church

Post by m273p15c » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:11 pm

No problem -- I did not take your statements as "put downs". I interpreted them only as frustrations, which I share.

Incidentally, I am a member of a local church of Christ. But, as you know, churches of Christ should be autonomous, having no control or influence over each other. I have attended several congregations with outstanding elders, and I have attended churches, where the elders were not qualified, and it was very harmful to the congregation.

In each case, this was the fault of the people, not the pattern, the Scriptures, or God.

It's interesting to me that there is an ironic justice to this: Since churches appoint their elders, they get what they deserve. If the church is generally ignorant, politically motivated, peace-above-all-else, or militant, etc., guess what they get? Elders that are unqualified, reflections of their individual faults. However, if a church is knowledgeable, wise, truth-focused, evangelistic, etc., they generally appoint elders that meet the Bible qualifications and will perform the job well. ... Some times God grants us hardship, as if to hold up a mirror to those willing to see themselves. And, the only way to fix the problems that collectively frustrate us is to overcome the problems that beset us as individuals. ... Well, please pardon the musings uttered for my own benefit... :-)

BTW, H. E. Phillips' book, titled "Scriptural Elders and Deacons", is very good. There are some points where I disagree with him, but it's an invaluable resource, in my opinion.

Robert Turner wrote lots of excellent material on the church, and many other topics: http://www.wordsfitlyspoken.org/plain_talk.

I don't think I have done much for you, but if I can help, of if you just want to talk, please let me know.