Deacons- Husband of One Wife

Do you have questions about the nature, work, purpose, or pattern for the church? This is the place to share your thoughts and questions with others.

Moderator: grand_puba

ambreviews

Deacons- Husband of One Wife

Post by ambreviews » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:02 pm

I must comment on this qualification, as I don't believe it's correct.

You see, the word "diakonos" from the New Testament simply means a minster or a servant. It wasn't an actual office of the church. Jesus has been called this before, along with Paul and many others. So to say it's the same qualifications as a bishop isn't true.

I know this because there were female "deacons," so to say, who ministered and served. "I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant of the church at Cenchreae, that you may welcome her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints, and help her in whatever she may need from you, for she has been a patron of many and of myself as well" (Romans 16:1-2).

If you look back on the Greek text, you'll see that it uses the word diakonos to reference her- it is not a gender specific word. Then, it goes on to say she's ministered to many and has been a protector of many, if you follow the true Greek text.

Not only does this justify women in ministry, but it also shows that a "deacon" does not have to be a man, even though a deacon was never a church office to begin with.

"And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ" (Ephesians 4:11-12).
(These job titles are not gender specific- God called EVERYONE to be ministers).

truth

Re: Deacons- Husband of One Wife

Post by truth » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:46 am

1 Timothy 3
Qualifications for Overseers and Deacons
1 Here is a trustworthy saying: Whoever aspires to be an overseer desires a noble task. 2 Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 4 He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and he must do so in a manner worthy of full[a] respect. 5 (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?) 6 He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. 7 He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil’s trap.

1 Timothy 3:12 (New International Version, ©2010)

12 A deacon must be faithful to his wife and must manage his children and his household well
1 Corinthians 11:4-8 (New International Version, ©2010)
4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.

1 Corinthians 11:4-8 (New International Version, ©2010)
4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.

7 A man ought not to cover his head,[a] since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man did not come from woman, but woman from man;