Is Tithing Applicable in New Testament?

Do you have questions about the nature, work, purpose, or pattern for the church? This is the place to share your thoughts and questions with others.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Is Tithing Applicable in New Testament?

Post by email » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:14 am

I have a question. Tithing was a common practice in the old testament, and even then people tithed with food and harvests as opposed to money. What is the role of tithing in the context of the new testament and is it still applicable?
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

larry

RE: Tithing

Post by larry » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks for visiting insearchoftruth.org. I will try to answer your question.

Yes, God's people under the Law of Moses were taught to tithe. There are numerous scriptures that mention tithing.

However, as we look at the New Testament and the law of Christ, we do not read anything about tithing. We are told to give as we have been prospered (I Cor. 16:2), to give bountifully, cheerfully, not grudgingly or of necessity, but as we purpose in our hearts (II Cor. 9:6-9). No percent is ever stated.

Jesus talked about our use of our money on several occasions and taught us to be generous. He commended the widow in Luke 21:1-4 for her liberality.

Paul told Timothy in I Timothy 6:17-19 to command the rich to be ready to give and willing to share. Many more passages talk about sharing what we have.

There are those who take the fact that no percent in mentioned in the New Testament to mean that we now can give less than 10% since no tithing is necessary. Since we know we have greater blessings in Christ than did the Jews in the Old Testament, I would suggest we should try to be more liberal and give in excess of 10% if at all possible. Most in this country with the prosperity we enjoy should be able to do so. I realize there are some not so blessed.

I hope these few comments are helpful to you. If you have further questions, I would be pleased to respond to them.

Sincerely,

Larry
http://www.insearchoftruth.org