resource recommendations regarding music in the Bible

Do you have questions about the nature, work, purpose, or pattern for the church? This is the place to share your thoughts and questions with others.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

resource recommendations regarding music in the Bible

Post by email » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:47 pm

Hello, I love your site and it will be hugely helpful as I plan a series of 10 study devotionals. My daughter and I will take an educational and performing trip with her Christian school through Prague, Salzburg, and Dresden Germany. The student musicians will benefit from master classes and I would like to inform them of what scripture says about their chosen area of study: music. Perhaps I can weave in examples from composers' lives as well. In addition to your site, do you know of any resources that have already done this or could help me? I have Philip Cavanaugh's Spiritual Lives of Great Composers....and am open to other suggestions.

Thank you!!!

Lord bless your site as you proclaim His Word
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

music in the Bible

Post by m273p15c » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:17 am

Thanks for the encouragement and your inquiry! I don't know how many of our articles about music that you found, but we have 4:
Beyond these, I would also recommend, "Instrumental Music In The Worship" by M. C. Kurfees. It's an old book, so you may be able to find it online for very cheap or even free. Despite its age, it's an excellent book on the topic, maybe one of the best. The Otey-Briney debate contains many of the arguments from both sides, and it is a classic in the field.

I pray you find these helpful. If you any other questions or feedback, please don't hesitate to share it.

May God help us to have a sincere love of truth,

m273p15c
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)