affiliation with Church of Christ?

Do you have questions about the nature, work, purpose, or pattern for the church? This is the place to share your thoughts and questions with others.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

affiliation with Church of Christ?

Post by email » Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:50 am

I just read some of your material on your web pages, are you affilated with the Church of Christ?
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:13 pm

Thanks for writing. I hope you will allow me to apologize for not answering your question directly. In truth your question is not as simple as one might first think. Depending on what you have in mind, the answer may be "yes" or it may be "no".

It is my aim to be affiliated with the following church:
  1. "the church of God" Acts 20:28
  2. "the church of the living God" I Timothy 3:15
  3. "His body" (referring to Jesus) Ephesians 1:22-23
  4. "the churches of Christ" Romans 16:16
  5. "the churches of God" I Corinthians 11:16
  6. "My church" (spoken by Jesus) Matthew 16:18
  7. "the general assembly and church of the Firstborn" Hebrews 12:23 (also see Romans 8:29 and Colossians 1:1
There is a denomination known as the "Church of Christ", which consists of people who sit in pews every Sunday, expecting to go to heaven just because the sign in front of the building reads, "Church of Christ". They're allegiance is to this name, and whatever is traditionally associated with the "Church of Christ". They are subject to the tides of society and tradition. I am not affiliated with this group.

There is another group of people, who may also have this same name on the front of their building, but they don't believe that the name will get them into heaven. They are affiliated with Christ, and whatever He asks, they seek only to obey in reciprocated love and loyalty. If He asks something that is contrary to their traditions, then they have no problem abandoning the doctrines of men to cling to the doctrines of God (Matthew 15:1-ff). I seek to be associated with this group, which should use a name that is authorized by the Owner and Savior of the church.

So, if you went to worship with me on Sunday morning, you would indeed see "Church of Christ" on the sign out front. But, please don't believe that I'm affiliated with any earthly organization. The head of the organization, of which I am a member, resides in heaven (Ephesians 1:22-23; Galatians 3:26-27). He alone is my Lord, His Word is my creed, and His organization is the church.

Please don't think this note evasive or "smart". I meant only to answer your question, while anticipating a very common question. These thoughts seem strange to most.

If I have not answered your questions well, or if I've stirred offense, please let me know. It is not my desire to offend, but I know not how else to answer this question.

May God bless you in your pursuit of truth.

email
Non-Member

Post by email » Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:42 pm

Not bad, very nice and complete answer, I too agree with your comments 100%. You too will see a sign in front of our church house, called the " Church of Christ". Not to be funny or rude in anyway, but due to the length of your answer, are you the preacher at your local congregation? HA HA!! I've been a Christian for along time, I've seen some great progress in men and women who've attended Churches of Christ, who have once kept the traditions of men in their worship services, but now abandon their earthly views and have answered the call to keep worldly traditions out of their worship services. I've seen the love of Christ working in the brothers and sisters that meet locally, which in fact, have persuaded my wife and I to place our membership. We continue to study our bibles (our only creed) to hear what the Holy Spirit has to say. I find your comments complete and encouraging. I'm confident that the gospel is being preached in your local area. We believe the gospel ( Christ's Death, Burial, Resurrection) has the power to change people's lives. My wife and I are simply called Christians, which we strive to teach are children, our neighbors and finally the world. We want them to see the Love of Christ in us, so they to can enjoy the benefits of Christianity.

I can sure say a lot to my children, but if I do not, then I am no better than denominational friends.

Have a good day, God Bless....
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:42 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I am glad to hear of the work being done where you are. ;)

I pray that good work there continues and that God may bless your family to help in that effort, as I am sure you are already doing.

BTW, if your ever out our way, send me an e-mail. My wife and I would be glad to have you and your family over for dinner.
Last edited by m273p15c on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

email
Non-Member

remission of sins under the Old Testament

Post by email » Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:50 am

Thanks for the offer - have a wonderful and great afternoon!!!

Quick question, Please don't spend to much time on this question considering the last answer you gave me HA HA !!

Our Wednesday night class is studying the Book of Hebrews.

I understand the theme, I believe I understand the purpose, and I'm confident that I understand the objective. However, it seems that the more I study a book, the more I find myself asking more questions.

If you will allow me, may I bounce this off you, tell me what you think...I know that Gal 3:24 tells me that the OL ( Old Law) was our tutor. Trying to put myself in the shoes or sandals of the people of old, how were they able to go to heaven?. I know that their Faith had to be an absolute to be pleasing in the sight of God. And sacrifices was a must, but what about their forgiveness of sin?

I believe that when Christ died on the cross, he died for those folks of old as well as for us,. but living during the Old Testament, How does remission of sin enter the picture? Or does it.

This idea of rolling your sins back every year, is no where found in the scriptures. I do find the idea of remember your sins year after year. (Day of Atonement)

If God puts something in place, it had to have been perfect in every way. If God said to do something, then I know, that it was the right thing to do and the only thing to do. I know that God is all knowing, all understanding, all merciful and all forgiving, but then again Jesus had not died on the cross yet. I feel the OT fulfilled it's purposed, but if Jesus' s blood save us, and the blood of bulls and goats cannot save us, then how did the people of old (Israelites and other nations) living during the Old Law, go to heaven, I know they did, but how?

God's Grace? Faith? I'm pretty sure it was not their sacrifices....

The book of Hebrews says the blood of bulls and goats can not save you....

I hope this all makes sense to you,

Any comments would be helpful.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:47 pm

If you have not run across this verse yet, you will in your study:
"And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance." Hebrews 9:15
Jesus' sacrifice actually went backward to cover those who served God by faith. It brings new meaning to their faith. We now know what they wanted to know (I Peter 1:10-12). They knew something vague and obscured. We see God's plan clearly, but still walk by faith, never experiencing the past or future (the crucifixion or heaven) ourselves. Once you think about what we have been blessed to learn, because of our advantage in time, it gives you a deeper appreciation of their faith (Hebrews 11:30-38). They never got to see, or in a sense "receive" the promise (Hebrews 11:39-40; Luke 1:67-75 - look more into this "promise" thing. I'm not sure that I know exactly what it means yet.). By faith they served, and by faith we believe that Christ's sacrifice justified their faith as it does our faith.

Hope this helps. Let me know if it did not, or if you have any other questions.