Will This Make Me a Partaker in Another's Sin?

Do you have questions about the nature, work, purpose, or pattern for the church? This is the place to share your thoughts and questions with others.

Moderator: grand_puba

churchmouse

Will This Make Me a Partaker in Another's Sin?

Post by churchmouse » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:05 pm

After staying up late the other night to seek advice, I didn't copy my post before trying to submit it and my entire post was subsequently eradicated when my login time expired. So, I will try to remember to copy it tonight after giving this another shot.

My dilemma is whether I'm partaking in another's sin if I listen to teaching which I believe to be heretical. I explained in another post about a doctrine that's being taught by certain members of the congregation I attend.

The other night, I found a post in which someone asked whether they were being a partaker in the sins of others by remaining in a congregation where some of it's members were engaging in sinful behavior. A member of this forum gave an excellent answer. However, it doesn't completely apply in my case.

When I was first added to the church, several men taught from the pulpit in rotation. I explained in my other post why one teacher ceased attending. Now two men teach, but one is teaching what I believe to be false doctrine. Unfortunately, he may be doing so to spite an older, original member of the congregation. It appears to me that the older man is trying desperately to maintain the integrity of church doctrine, while others are involved in a power play.

I am anguished because of this. On one hand, I'm inclined to stop attending the congregation because I don't believe God is being glorified. On the other hand, I want to support the gentleman who teaches a faithful doctrine despite facing a lot of opposition. Several congregations with dwindling numbers have melded into one, and all have brought their own views although they agree on some major issues.

Most of these people don't seem to have a healthy fear of God but, rather, seem to view God only as a concept and not as a Father and Judge. Like people in the congregation I previously attended, they seem to base their hope of salvation on belonging to a congregation with the "right" name and the fact they can find scriptures that "their" church alone adheres to.

The quick answer, I know, would be to find another faithful congregation. But, when I searched a few years ago, this congregation was the most faithful to scripture that I could find locally. While it may not matter if some members of a congregation uphold heretical views, what does one do when there is a teacher who promotes heretical views from the pulpit? Do I become a partaker of his sin when I listen to him teach?

Ironically, when I left the church I formerly attended, I decided it didn't matter what views I listened to as long as I study my Bible carefully and discern right from wrong. It was members of the current congregation who convinced me that God doesn't even acknowledge our worship if we have fellowship with the unfaithful.
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15)

m273p15c

Re: Will This Make Me a Partaker in Another's Sin?

Post by m273p15c » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:58 am

Hi churchmouse,

This is an important and excellent question. I don't think there is just one Scripture or principle to apply to this question, so it can be a difficult question to answer specifically, since each case varies. So, please allow me to offer a few verses and general thoughts:
  1. When we financially support, emotionally encourage, or spiritually uphold a false teacher, we are indeed enabling his sins, and therefore we are partly responsible for them and partaking with them:
    John, an apostle of Jesus Christ, wrote:Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds. (II John 9-11 NKJ)
    Therefore, I could not attend a congregation that supported a false teacher in its own pulpit or another. (I'm thinking of financially supporting foreign evangelists, like Paul, Philippians 4:10, 14-18.) Otherwise, my money would be supporting a false teacher, and I would in some measure be complicit with his sins and even enabling them.
  2. Congregations often have internal difficulties and disagreements. That realization does not necessitate that the church should immediately dissolve. There were faithful saints at some unfaithful congregations in the New Testament (I Corinthians 1:10-11; Revelation 2-3). However, I don't think the Scriptures support one staying and being in silent, passive disagreement. Christians are to "contend earnestly for the faith" (Jude 3-23), which cannot be accomplished silently sitting in the pew.
  3. Loyalty to all other people, even Christians, is secondary to your loyalty to God (Matthew 10:33-39). Likewise, loyalty to a given church, which you are not specifically compelled to attend, is secondary to your loyalty to your family, which is commanded (Ephesians 5:25-29, 33; 6:1-4).
So, putting it all together, if a church is collectively sinning in sponsoring a false teacher or unauthorized activity, then a saint will have to do something; otherwise, they are supporting and partaking in sin (II John 9-11). Personally, I would speak up and ask that a hold be placed on all questionable activity, teaching, and teachers until the truth can be established Biblically. If people are unwilling to do this, if they are determined to continue and roll right over any opposition, then you have your answer. It may be time to migrate out of "Israel" and into "Judah":
And from all their territories the priests and the Levites who were in all Israel took their stand with him. For the Levites left their common-lands and their possessions and came to Judah and Jerusalem, for Jeroboam and his sons had rejected them from serving as priests to the LORD. Then he appointed for himself priests for the high places, for the demons, and the calf idols which he had made. And after the Levites left, those from all the tribes of Israel, such as set their heart to seek the LORD God of Israel, came to Jerusalem to sacrifice to the LORD God of their fathers. So they strengthened the kingdom of Judah, and made Rehoboam the son of Solomon strong for three years, because they walked in the way of David and Solomon for three years. (II Chronicles 11:13-17 NKJ)
The faithful will follow in time, as they understand what is happening.

However, assuming a church is willing to collectively work through the Scriptures and questions, or assuming that the problem is happening on an individual level, or assuming you are able to respond publicly in like measure, then by all means, stay and fight - "contend earnestly for the faith" (Jude 3). Support that older gentleman. Spend time with him in private study. It may be that it is time for you to pick up the "mantle" and do the work that he is losing strength to perform (II Kings 2:1-14). If nothing else, add your voice to his and "hold up his hands" in the fight for God's Word (Exodus 17:10-13).

However, you have at least one higher priority than working to resolve issues in the church, and you may have even more (Matthew 10:33-39; Ephesians 5:25-29, 33; 6:1-4). In other words, if staying at a church is destroying you or some member of your immediate family, then stay and fight, but don't stay so long that you lose your soul or anyone else in your family. You have inverted your priorities and lost what is more important, if that loss occurs.

There is one last issue to consider:
Matthew, quoting Jesus, wrote:"Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces." (Matthew 7:6 NKJ)
Even if a church and its members are content to "work with you" and resolve all the issues, if you judge that they are stalling or have no real commitment to obeying the truth, then at some point, you have to ask yourself if you are not indeed "casting your pearls before swine". If it becomes clear to you that you are pursuing a dead-end, and they will not heed even though they are willing to listen, then it may be time to invest your "pearls", where they can "earn interest" (Matthew 25:14-30).

There may be some concern over "given occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme" or to "cut off the opportunity ... to boast" (Deuteronomy 32:21-27; II Samuel 12:14; II Corinthians 11:7-13). If all else is equal, in other words, if none of any of the other above principles are yet relevant, then I would consider this. I might stay a little longer, just to prevent falsehoods and blasphemies from being spread. However, I could never fellowship sin or destroy myself, just to take away the arguments of those already condemned. Neither, would I continue to indefinitely invest in an empty work, just to prevent someone from saying bad things about God or His saints. Again, that would be an inversion of priority, sacrificing what is commanded for what is a luxury.

There may be other things to consider, but hopefully this will give you a good start. I pray you find these verses helpful. If you have any other questions, concerns, or arguments, please by all means post them. :)

Thanks again for your good question, and your apparent love for the Lord in agonizing over these concerns.
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)

grand_puba

Post by grand_puba » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:13 pm

churchmouse wrote:The other night, I found a post in which someone asked whether they were being a partaker in the sins of others by remaining in a congregation where some of it's members were engaging in sinful behavior. A member of this forum gave an excellent answer. However, it doesn't completely apply in my case.
@churchmouse, Was this the post you found?

Bases for joining/separating oneself to a local church

Just curious.

BTW, I am sorry about the technical trouble you encountered on the forums. I'll be the first to admit that this software is not the most user-friendly. FWIW, I usually type long responses in a separate text editor, like NotePad. And, then I copy it from the text editor and paste it into the "reply" widow for the forums. It's shamefully painful, but I find it the most convenient "workaround" for the time being. One of these days, I'm going to try to update the forum software with something more modern and usable.

Again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I do appreciate your good questions and patience.

The Moderator
Have you read the Rules?

churchmouse

Post by churchmouse » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi, grand_puba!
@churchmouse, Was this the post you found?

Bases for joining/separating oneself to a local church

Just curious.
Yes, that is the one.

BTW, I am sorry about the technical trouble you encountered on the forums. I'll be the first to admit that this software is not the most user-friendly. FWIW, I usually type long responses in a separate text editor, like NotePad. And, then I copy it from the text editor and paste it into the "reply" widow for the forums. It's shamefully painful, but I find it the most convenient "workaround" for the time being. One of these days, I'm going to try to update the forum software with something more modern and usable.

Again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I do appreciate your good questions and patience.

The Moderator
I thought I had learned a lesson on other forums about copying a post before submitting it or typing it first in WordPad. This is why it's necessary that the same things be taught over and over in the church. It's for people like me, who forget very quickly. :laughing8:
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15)

churchmouse

Post by churchmouse » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:46 pm

Hi! Thank you for your reply. Below are a few comments.
m273p15c wrote:Hi churchmouse,

This is an important and excellent question. I don't think there is just one Scripture or principle to apply to this question, so it can be a difficult question to answer specifically, since each case varies. So, please allow me to offer a few verses and general thoughts:
  1. When we financially support, emotionally encourage, or spiritually uphold a false teacher, we are indeed enabling his sins, and therefore we are partly responsible for them and partaking with them:
    John, an apostle of Jesus Christ, wrote:Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds. (II John 9-11 NKJ)
    Therefore, I could not attend a congregation that supported a false teacher in its own pulpit or another. (I'm thinking of financially supporting foreign evangelists, like Paul, Philippians 4:10, 14-18.) Otherwise, my money would be supporting a false teacher, and I would in some measure be complicit with his sins and even enabling them.

The man who is teaching false doctrine isn't paid, so that's not much of a concern. At first, I didn't like the practice of congregants telling the teacher "good lesson" after the service. I expected everything preached from the pulpit to be edifying and strengthening. Since there have been unsound doctrines taught from the pulpit, I've made it a point to commend whomever presents the scriptures honestly and with spiritual discernment. But, what constitutes greeting a transgressor of the doctrine of Christ? Would it include a handshake after the service? I've tried to avoid those who teach worldly doctrines, but that's not an easy task in an extremely small congregation. Last week, the false teacher approached me and shook my hand. After talking to someone else briefly, he turned around and again shook my hand. In the church I previously attended, it was pretty much the same. I would try to leave quickly after the service, but the people I especially wanted to avoid would seek me out. If people realize you're trying to avoid them, it becomes an issue in the church.
  2. Congregations often have internal difficulties and disagreements. That realization does not necessitate that the church should immediately dissolve. There were faithful saints at some unfaithful congregations in the New Testament (I Corinthians 1:10-11; Revelation 2-3). However, I don't think the Scriptures support one staying and being in silent, passive disagreement. Christians are to "contend earnestly for the faith" (Jude 3-23), which cannot be accomplished silently sitting in the pew.
  3. Loyalty to all other people, even Christians, is secondary to your loyalty to God (Matthew 10:33-39). Likewise, loyalty to a given church, which you are not specifically compelled to attend, is secondary to your loyalty to your family, which is commanded (Ephesians 5:25-29, 33; 6:1-4).
I absolutely agree that our loyalty to God comes first! However, I have no option other than to sit silently in my pew because I'm female and therefore not permitted to teach in the church. In the church I formerly attended, women were permitted and encouraged to speak. But, speaking became so stressful that I was content to listen in silence. I welcomed teaching on the subject because at first I felt so guilty for not wanting to speak on the Word of God

So, putting it all together, if a church is collectively sinning in sponsoring a false teacher or unauthorized activity, then a saint will have to do something; otherwise, they are supporting and partaking in sin (II John 9-11). Personally, I would speak up and ask that a hold be placed on all questionable activity, teaching, and teachers until the truth can be established Biblically. If people are unwilling to do this, if they are determined to continue and roll right over any opposition, then you have your answer. It may be time to migrate out of "Israel" and into "Judah":
And from all their territories the priests and the Levites who were in all Israel took their stand with him. For the Levites left their common-lands and their possessions and came to Judah and Jerusalem, for Jeroboam and his sons had rejected them from serving as priests to the LORD. Then he appointed for himself priests for the high places, for the demons, and the calf idols which he had made. And after the Levites left, those from all the tribes of Israel, such as set their heart to seek the LORD God of Israel, came to Jerusalem to sacrifice to the LORD God of their fathers. So they strengthened the kingdom of Judah, and made Rehoboam the son of Solomon strong for three years, because they walked in the way of David and Solomon for three years. (II Chronicles 11:13-17 NKJ)
The faithful will follow in time, as they understand what is happening.

However, assuming a church is willing to collectively work through the Scriptures and questions, or assuming that the problem is happening on an individual level, or assuming you are able to respond publicly in like measure, then by all means, stay and fight - "contend earnestly for the faith" (Jude 3). Support that older gentleman. Spend time with him in private study. It may be that it is time for you to pick up the "mantle" and do the work that he is losing strength to perform (II Kings 2:1-14). If nothing else, add your voice to his and "hold up his hands" in the fight for God's Word (Exodus 17:10-13).

Again, it's not possible for me to "pick up the mantle" since I'm female and not permitted to speak in the church. But, I wish there was someone who could pick up the mantle. There is a man in the church I formerly attended who has a solid understanding of the scriptures and I think would be a good addition to the pulpit, but he has no interest in leaving the church he attends.

However, you have at least one higher priority than working to resolve issues in the church, and you may have even more (Matthew 10:33-39; Ephesians 5:25-29, 33; 6:1-4). In other words, if staying at a church is destroying you or some member of your immediate family, then stay and fight, but don't stay so long that you lose your soul or anyone else in your family. You have inverted your priorities and lost what is more important, if that loss occurs.

I have no family members attending the congregation in question. They live in another state. So, family isn't so much a consideration. Well, they are to the extent they would require an explanation of me as to why I quit attending. I saw my separation from the church I previously attended as an opportunity to discuss spiritual matters with my family. However, I think it only assured them that everyone has different beliefs about God and Jesus, and the marks of a Christian, and that their ideas are no less valid than anyone else's.

There is one last issue to consider:
Matthew, quoting Jesus, wrote:"Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces." (Matthew 7:6 NKJ)
Even if a church and its members are content to "work with you" and resolve all the issues, if you judge that they are stalling or have no real commitment to obeying the truth, then at some point, you have to ask yourself if you are not indeed "casting your pearls before swine". If it becomes clear to you that you are pursuing a dead-end, and they will not heed even though they are willing to listen, then it may be time to invest your "pearls", where they can "earn interest" (Matthew 25:14-30).

There may be some concern over "given occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme" or to "cut off the opportunity ... to boast" (Deuteronomy 32:21-27; II Samuel 12:14; II Corinthians 11:7-13). If all else is equal, in other words, if none of any of the other above principles are yet relevant, then I would consider this. I might stay a little longer, just to prevent falsehoods and blasphemies from being spread. However, I could never fellowship sin or destroy myself, just to take away the arguments of those already condemned. Neither, would I continue to indefinitely invest in an empty work, just to prevent someone from saying bad things about God or His saints. Again, that would be an inversion of priority, sacrificing what is commanded for what is a luxury.

There may be other things to consider, but hopefully this will give you a good start. I pray you find these verses helpful. If you have any other questions, concerns, or arguments, please by all means post them. :)

Thanks again for your good question, and your apparent love for the Lord in agonizing over these concerns.
[/quote]

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi churchmouse,

I'm glad to hear that financial support is not an issue. May I comment on some of your previous insights?
churchmouse wrote:I absolutely agree that our loyalty to God comes first! However, I have no option other than to sit silently in my pew because I'm female and therefore not permitted to teach in the church. In the church I formerly attended, women were permitted and encouraged to speak. But, speaking became so stressful that I was content to listen in silence. I welcomed teaching on the subject because at first I felt so guilty for not wanting to speak on the Word of God

Again, it's not possible for me to "pick up the mantle" since I'm female and not permitted to speak in the church. But, I wish there was someone who could pick up the mantle. There is a man in the church I formerly attended who has a solid understanding of the scriptures and I think would be a good addition to the pulpit, but he has no interest in leaving the church he attends.
Oh, I'm sorry that I assumed otherwise. I appreciate your difficult situation even more now. This certainly complicates things and eliminates several of the options that I mentioned earlier. If you were determined to try, I think you might could privately encourage and facilitate a private discussion between these two men, and I think you could even participate in a private study with them without violating the passages discussed here:

http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles ... rship.html

But, I also understand that there may be numerous local constraints that make this impossible.

Ultimately, I think it may still boil down to whether you are able to support those taking a stand and encourage others to do likewise versus being torn down yourself. If people are trying to take a stand, this confrontation process should not last long and the right path will become move obvious. However, if people of influence delay or fail for whatever reason, then the process may draw out indefinitely. In that case, you may have to eventually make a judgment call to find another church, if at all possible, which you can fully support and be supported thereby.
churchmouse wrote:I have no family members attending the congregation in question. They live in another state. So, family isn't so much a consideration. Well, they are to the extent they would require an explanation of me as to why I quit attending. I saw my separation from the church I previously attended as an opportunity to discuss spiritual matters with my family. However, I think it only assured them that everyone has different beliefs about God and Jesus, and the marks of a Christian, and that their ideas are no less valid than anyone else's.
I'm sorry to hear their taking encouragement in the fault of others. I pray there will be opportunity for them to learn otherwise.

I wish I could offer more options or something at least approaching wisdom. :) You, the church there, and the difficult decisions before all will be in my prayers.
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)

churchmouse

Post by churchmouse » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:59 am

Thank you again for your reply. I've re-read your replies to my posts on another thread, too, for encouragement.

The one man in the congregation continues to cite 1 John 1:8-10 every single time he teaches in the church, claiming that we all sin every day without realizing it. :banghead: I'm getting so weary of hearing it. :( Much of what the older man teaches refutes that idea, and he is just teaching truthfully from the Bible. As noted before, most of the scriptures clearly refute the other man's "pop" theology. But, the man seems determined to debate the word of God. I'm not sure if he thinks that repeating his creed over and over will eventually make it true, or if he thinks that repeating it often enough will ingrain it in the minds of everyone in the congregation and then it will eventually become accepted. He does teach on different subjects, but somehow tries to relate the pop theology to what he's teaching, so maybe he's still in the process of building a doctrine around the pop theology. I've noticed, though, that the words of many hymns he selects contradict his new-found doctrine. #-o

A woman in the congregation with Alzheimer's even commented to me after one of his sermons that it seemed like she had heard it before. I acknowledged that we had heard it several times (and we've heard it even more since then). She just dismissed the speaker as "not too bright." I don't know if the older teacher has talked to him, but I'm inclined to think he has. I've noticed that one couple doesn't attend services when they know the older man will be teaching. Some congregants think the older man has assumed too much control because he corrects others who distort the word of God to promote their own agenda. Admittedly, I also thought he was arrogant at first, until I prayed about it. Now, I really empathize with him because of what I went through in a church I previously attended where females were permitted to speak. I've found that it's just as frustrating to hear someone pervert the gospel of Christ as an objective listener as it is when you're expected to speak knowing that there are some who invariably take offense. There is a huge difference between having confidence in one's self and having confidence in the word of God.

I was wrong about the congregation having formed from several different congregations. Most of the members have attended together for at least 20 years. I do know that the main preacher died shortly before I began attending, and I think another died within the same year. So, my impression is that some congregants were eager to make changes, to which the older man objected. I really feel like I can't take much more of this, but I do want to continue giving the older man moral support. There was a younger woman in the congregation who had many struggles and I was worried about what affect the pop theology would have on her. Well, she's given into her vices again and no longer attends services. :cry:

I have my own struggles and, although I'd like to think I'm wise enough not be deceived by a false doctrine, I know that no one is immune from sin and the one man's pop theology often sounds somewhat convincing initially. I felt extremely guilty after one particular service in which he taught. He mentioned the verses in 1 John only briefly and didn't go so far as to claim that we all sin every day without realizing it, so I was relieved. He then cited 1 Corinthians 8:1, stressing that love edifies (builds up). He said that showing love toward our brethren is more important than having knowledge and that we should approach our brethren with a spirit of love. I thought that he made a good point and wondered inwardly if someone had spoken to him or another congregant harshly because of something they had done/said. I don't like it when people ridicule someone who misspoke or committed a misstep because sin/deceit/perverting the gospel is not a laughing matter, and so I commended the man on his lesson after the service. On my way home, I remembered the remainder of 1 Corinthians 8. I had studied the whole chapter carefully (more than once) while attending another church and was astonished that some people quoted 2 or 3 verses out of the chapter to imply that it's better to show our approval of someone's sin to avoid offending them, rather than to voice or show (by example) our disapproval.

Paul's point to the church at Corinth is that it wasn't enough to know what's right if they didn't put that knowledge into practice. That was his message through chapter 10, when he exhorted the Corinthian brethren that participating in idolatry wasn't compatible with service to Christ. In chapter 8, he reprimanded those who recognized that there is one true God but were deceiving those who didn't differentiate between the living God and an idol, by participating in idol sacrifices for social purposes. Paul emphasized that they were not showing love for their brethren by allowing them to think that idolatry was acceptable since those brethren were actually headed toward eternal destruction. Instead, Paul encouraged the knowledgeable Corinthians to show love for their brethren by edifying them (i.e., practicing and teaching what they knew to be right). Like some at the church I formerly attended, the man in the congregation I currently attend inverted Paul's message to the Corinthians. By commending him, I feel that I consented with the man's agenda. There, I confessed. :oops:

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:52 pm

Hi churchmouse,

I'm glad to hear the previous comments proved helpful, but I'm sorry to hear that the false teaching is continuing to take a discouraging toll on the congregation.

You are so right about all of us being susceptible to false doctrine. We must always be diligent in study and check our motives.

The misuse of I Corinthians 8:1 that you mentioned is new to me. The next verse shows their elevation achieved through "knowledge" was not a true knowledge. Plus, hurting people's feelings is always secondary to the responsibility to defend truth and stop the propagation of error; otherwise, Paul would have never so publicly corrected Peter (Galatians 2:12-14)!

Some people are determined to have their own way in a congregation, regardless of the Scripture's direction. If the man's false teaching has been answered from Scripture, but yet he insists on dividing the church with his error, then Bible's clear direction should be pursued next, if at all possible:
Paul, an inspired apostle of Jesus Christ, wrote:Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them. (Romans 16:17 NKJV)

Remind them of these things, charging them before the Lord not to strive about words to no profit, to the ruin of the hearers. Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness. And their message will spread like cancer. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort, who have strayed concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past; and they overthrow the faith of some. (II Timothy 2:14-18 NKJV)

But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith; but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was. (II Timothy 3:1-9 NKJV)

But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless. Reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition, knowing that such a person is warped and sinning, being self-condemned. (Titus 3:9-11 NKJV)
I know that you, churchmouse, are in no position to actively pursue this. However, you could raise this as a question or concern for the older man to consider and possibly explain to you: Is this false teacher's doctrine worthy of public admonition, correction, and ultimately withdrawal? If so, where does the congregation stand? What is the plan? Has he considered raising this as a point of discussion in a men's meeting?

Based on the above instructions, it is clear that the Lord never intended a church to agonize indefinitely over such divisive teaching. It sounds like it must move to a close before the whole congregation becomes discouraged and leaves or worse - falls into vice like your friend or falls under the sway of error's song (I Corinthians 5:5-7). :(

If the congregation has shifted to a point of paralysis or even support of the false teacher, then the remnant might should consider starting or merging with another work (Hebrews 13:10-14).

You and all there will continue to be in my prayers. :)
Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we may boldly say: "The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?" (Hebrews 13:5-6 NKJV)

churchmouse

Post by churchmouse » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:10 pm

Thank you for your continued prayers, m273p15c. Because of some things going on in my life, including the matter in the church, and not wanting to experience again what I went through at the previous church I attended, I feel on the verge of a nervous breakdown. My life has been one catastrophe after another since I moved to this town, and I just want to leave. But, I cannot find a congregation near my hometown that is true to the entire gospel of Christ, which is surprising because it is comparatively conservative while the town where I now live is notably liberal.

I would also feel guilty about abandoning support for the older gentleman who teaches in the local congregation, and who has about the best understanding of the gospel as anyone I currently know. Sunday, he urged people to stand for the right. Most people, including the men, in our small congregation oppose him. Visiting preachers seem very supportive of him, but the other men (and some women, too) seem resentful of them also. There are other issues surrounding beliefs of people in our congregation which I'll discuss on other threads.

The man who teaches error (no spring chicken himself) finally stopped running his version of 1 John 1 into the ground and taught recently on something that made sense (although, I'll admit, I was skeptical at the beginning). His last sermon, though, left me confused. He talked about those who teach false doctrine without fear of God, acknowledging the finality of the Judgment. He mostly reads his sermons, so it may have been someone else's he was using but I had to wonder if he didn't take those words to heart for himself. Yet, he made no indication of renouncing the false doctrine. I've avoided the man as much as possible because I don't want to show my approval (thereby adding to the deceit), even without thinking as I did a while back and then feeling so, so guilty about it.

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:54 pm

Hi churchmouse,

I'm so sorry to hear about the difficulties you have been facing personally and with the church there. I appreciate your support of the truth at the congregation there, and I pray that your efforts and those of others will ultimately prove successful and that you may find some peace there.

If you have any other questions or thoughts, please don't hesitate to share. I look forward to hearing your other topics. I pray that we can be a help and support to you. :)

In hope and in Christian love ...