Teachers? One Loaf? "breaking" bread?

Do you have questions about the nature, work, purpose, or pattern for the church? This is the place to share your thoughts and questions with others.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Teachers? One Loaf? "breaking" bread?

Post by email » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:13 pm

I recently stumbled upon your web page and was delighted by the vast amount of information that you have willing shared with the public concerning the Lord's chruch. Though I was searching the web for any articles regarding the binding of commands, examples and inference, I was facinated by some of your other topics, such as "the offices of the church" and "the worship of the church."

However, I was disappointed that you didn't have anything on "teachers" or "preachers" under your articles on the offices of the church (that was another interest of mine). I would love to see those added to your list, and have the opportunity to read your comments on them. Of greater interest than that, I would most especially like to read your upcomming article regarding "Are we to use only one cup?" under the topic of "More Questions about the Lord's Supper." Is that work underway? And when could I and others expect to have the ability to read it?

Please keep up the great work regarding the web page. I am thankful for your abilities and dedication to sharing the Gospel with the public. God bless you and your work. I pray that you will continue to remain steadfast in searching, rightly dividing, and proclaiming the doctrine of Christ faithfully, with all boldness.

In His service.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

email
Non-Member

Post by email » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:22 pm

Oh yes, I almost forgot, I would also like to hear your thoughts concerning whether or not we are to use just one loaf, and what is implied by "breaking" the bread.

Thanks.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:07 pm

Thank you for the compliments and the encouragement. Learning that the material is both useful and appreciated always helps to add fuel to the fire.

Regarding "teachers" and "preachers", it is my understanding that "preachers" and "evangelists" are synonymous; consequently, "preachers" are covered under the article on "Evangelists". Both "preachers" and "teachers" differ from the office of "elders", "deacons", and "apostles" in that any one can take this work upon themselves. Apostles, elders, and deacons require recognition and appointment. The first by Jesus, the rest by the local congregation of which they are members. However, anyone that does the work of the preacher or teacher becomes just such a person. Because of this lack of public recognition and appointment, I personally do not consider these to be "offices" as much as the other 3 works. I consider them to be more a role, or work only. This is a trivial distinction, involving semantics more than anything; however, it is worth noting.

I have not done a detailed word study on "teacher" versus "evangelist" (preacher). That's one of the reasons that I have not written an article specifically on teachers. After I do so, I may write an article on teachers, especially since they are called out specifically in the gifts to the church of Ephesians 4. Until then, I would again look to the article on evangelist. Their work overlaps greatly, and I think the distinction is subtle. The difference may simply be a reference to how much one does the work, full time or part time. However I simply do not know the full distinction at this point. More study is required ...

Since you asked, I will try to finish the question on "one cup" shortly. I plan to include "one loaf", since they are closely related. I will send you an e-mail when it's posted.

Thanks again for the encouragement.
Last edited by m273p15c on Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:41 pm

email wrote:Oh yes, I almost forgot, I would also like to hear your thoughts concerning whether or not we are to use just one loaf, and what is implied by "breaking" the bread.
Our article has been updated by adding a section on "one cup and one loaf".

I have not got around to the "breaking" part, but I believe it is a figure of speech also (synecdoche). "Breaking of bread" refers to the partaking, or eating of it. It is not the breaking that is of concern, but eating of it (Acts 20:7; I Corinthians 10:16). These verses are not concerned with the tearing of bread, but are using the eating of bread, the first element, to stand for the whole supper. Following this figure, "Breaking" then stands for the act of eating and distributing the bread (synecdoche). We use a similar figure when we say "let's get a bite to eat". We mean more than one bite, and we also mean that we are going to get something to drink also, although it is not a bite.

If breaking the bread is significant, of what is it symbolic? It is never explained, yet the bread and the fruit of vine are both explained as being symbolic of something. Of what is this symbolic? And, why is it not explained, if it is significant?

Also, please don't forget that Jesus body was specifically NOT broken as a fulfillment of prophesy (John 19:31-37). Whatever the "breaking" of the bread might symbolize, it can't symbolize Christ's body.

Likely, Jesus was simply initiating and showing the disciples what to do as He instituted the Lord's Supper.

If one broke the bread in half and then prayed, I would not object, although I do not do it.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by m273p15c on Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

email
Non-Member

Post by email » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:14 am

Thank you for getting back to me so soon. And sorry that I didn't do the same. It has been a crazy week thus far and I have unfortunately not had the opportunity to carefully examine your replies, though I did read them over once. Thanks for doing such, I know that it was time consuming. I have not had the chance to look at the updated articles, but plan to do such soon. I am currently preparing to leave on a business trip early tomorrow morning, so I will look your material over this weekend and get back to you early next week when I return.

Thanks again and God bless.
Who is "email"?