cooperation, sponsoring church arrangement for evangelism?

Do you have questions about the nature, work, purpose, or pattern for the church? This is the place to share your thoughts and questions with others.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

cooperation, sponsoring church arrangement for evangelism?

Post by email » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:11 pm

Dear Brethren,

If a local church decides to preach the gospel on a local radio station but can't afford to do so with it's own resources, can it receive resources from other churches to assist in this venture?
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:38 pm

I do not think a church can do this. More information is provided on our web-site:

"The Organization of the Church"

Here are a few summary idea snippets from that article:

Churches did cooperate in benevolence, when one or more churches were swamped with benevolent needs in their local membership that was beyond their capacity to sustain (Acts 11:27-30; Romans 15:25-27; I Corinthians 16:1-4; II Corinthians 8-9). It is important to notice that this need was bigger than their own ability to meet (II Corinthians 8:13-15; Acts 11:27-29). There is no pattern of churches receiving funds if they were not in need, or to manage a work that exceeded the scope of their own flock (I Peter 5:1-3).

However, in regards to evangelism, there is no pattern for churches contributing to a sponsoring church on any other institution (for example, a missionary society). New Testament churches always supported preachers directly (II Corinthians 11:8; Philippians 4:14-18). For one church to contribute to another church for any evangelical purpose would be outside the scope of the New Testament pattern.

May God bless us with an ever deepening love of the truth.