Women in Ministry

Do you have questions about the nature, work, purpose, or pattern for the church? This is the place to share your thoughts and questions with others.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Women in Ministry

Post by email » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:25 pm

Dear Whomever you are:

I found your whole article on Women in Leadership interesting as well as informative, yet not convincing. I Pastor yes PASTOR a church here. I have several men who are pleased to submit to the Holy Spirit within me AND are not wimps, jellybacks, crazy or without knowledge of every scripture you quoted. I have debated over and over in my mind about the "woman" issue and can only say that the Jesus I know who was God wrapped in flesh, NEVER preached against women. If there was a divine revelation that would have established the women cannot preach, teach, lead or participate, I believe He would have left that here for us --- just as He did everything else. You see, I know who I am; who called me and what my purpose is on this earth.

I beg to differ, Paul's comments WERE for the time period in which he wrote. The Bible has facts and truths. Facts represent an event related to and Truths are just that -- the TRUTH! Anyway - I appreciate your attempt.

Finally, the fruit speaks for itself. Join us sometimes. Email me with what I am sure, is a rebuttal. I won't respond.

Have a blessed day and see you in Heaven one day!
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:49 am

I am sorry that the article made you angry. It is my prayer that it will ultimately be spiritually profitable to all readers, no matter their initial reaction.

I realize that you will not likely respond to this note, but I am not looking for a response. I only ask that you think about these few thoughts, testing the consistency of your thinking:
  1. Who provided the qualifications for "pastors"? Can you read anywhere in the gospels about "pastors"? Jesus never mentioned an office of "pastor". The only shepherd He ever mentioned was Himself (John 10:1-18). Please consider, "How one can use Paul's writings to justify the office of "pastor" without using the same writings to establish its qualifications?" Are we wanting to "have our cake and eat it too"?
  2. "Proof is in the fruit" - This is human reasoning. Please consider this fallacy, "What is the fastest growing religion?" It is not Christianity! Does that mean we should convert and worship Allah, just because Islam is the fastest growing religion in all of God's creation?
If consistency cannot be maintained, how can the arguments provided be valid?

Regarding this statement,
email wrote:"I beg to differ, Paul's comments WERE for the time period in which he wrote. The Bible has facts and truths. Facts represent an event related to and Truths are just that -- the TRUTH! Anyway - I appreciate your attempt."
This is fancy reasoning. It is emotionally charged, but what is its basis? Who told you this? Can you read this anywhere in the Bible? Did Jesus ever say this? Does Paul anywhere indicate that the command for women not to speak in the assembly applied only to his generation? Where is the evidence for this command being limited to that generation? I know that all the modern seminaries teach this, but I do not subscribe to their authority.

Finally, your confidence outside of Scripture is very dangerous. You may think you know who you are, but would God agree with your judgment of yourself?
email wrote:"But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by a human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I know nothing against myself, yet I am not justified by this; but He who judges me is the Lord." (I Corinthians 4:3-4)
Our judgment of ourselves, or anybody else, is of little, to no significance. Since we will be judged by the revealed word of God, we should make sure that we are following that standard (John 12:48; I Peter 4:11; John 6:68), instead of the popular theology of modern scholars. One may ask, "How do we know which standard we are at least TRYING to follow?" Just look at our basis for justifying our actions. What do we use for justifying our beliefs and actions? Scripture or fancy, human rationalization?

My only desire is to obey the truth and to teach others the truth, so that they may obey it too. I have no desire to belittle, humiliate, or hurt other people. However, getting our toes stepped on always hurts.

If you have questions about any of this, please let me know. I try to be open-minded. It may be that your knowledge of Scripture will bring me out of error. In which case, I would be eternally grateful.

"as iron sharpens iron" and as a friend,

May God bless us with a sincere love of truth (II Thessalonians 2:9-12)
Last edited by m273p15c on Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

email
Non-Member

Post by email » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:40 pm

Hi there brother:

I really appreciate your response to my email and I can see that you are decidedly committed to your beliefs as I am to mine. I can only say that your arguments are quite convincing and before I respond, I will pray. I am eternally grateful for your taking the time to do what you believe God has called you to do. I respect that.

Hope you have a great day and I will email you later this week. It is 11:37p.m. On Saturday evening and I have to prepare my sermon for tomorrow's service.

I love you in Jesus' Name.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:49 pm

Thank you for the kind response. I understand and appreciate your desire to give this thorough, conscientious thought and prayer.

I will remember you in my prayers, as we both prayerfully reflect on these matters.

May God give us open eyes and tender hearts.