Trinity, Unitarian, or something else?

Who is Jesus Christ? Who is God? Nickel for your thoughts?

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Trinity, Unitarian, or something else?

Post by email » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:43 pm

In the artical,"The Triune Nature of God",are you saying that three in one God? The Father, Son and Holy Spirit = God? or something different?
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Trinity

Post by m273p15c » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:24 pm

I believe the Bible teaches that there are 3 beings who are divine, so in some respects, they may each be referenced as "God". Please see this passage in Hebrews, where the term "God" is applied to both the Father and the Son:
But to the Son He says: "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your Kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions." (Hebrews 1:8-9)
In Acts 5, Peter refers to the Holy Spirit as God:
But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? 4 "While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God." (Acts 5:3-4)
So, in some respects, the term "God" functions more as a class descriptor, rather than a personal name. The context, both local and global, must determine, which Being of the Godhead is under consideration, when the somewhat generic, holy label is applied. ... For example, the writer of Hebrews associates the term, "Jehovah" ("the LORD", in KJV, NKJV) with Jesus, simply because the term is associated with the work of Creation, which is elsewhere attributed to the Son (Hebrews 1:10-12; compare to Colossians 1:13-16).

The unity of these three Beings in the Godhead is merely the ultimate realization of what we are also to achieve:
"I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." (John 17:20-23)
The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are so perfectly united in thought, purpose, judgment, and mind, that they are considered as One, because there is nothing competitive or at variance among them (Philippians 2:5-7). However, they are 3 distinct Beings, as they are listed separately (Matthew 28:19).

The mystery associated with this concept of the "trinity" has arisen from the ancient fascination by some for the mystical and unexplainable. Obviously, anything infinite and perfect is difficult for us to fully appreciate, but God scattered any such perceived mysticism with His synonymous exchange of the term, "God", and by His desire and enabling for us to also share in that holy unity.

I pray this helps. If you have further questions or concerns, I would be glad to hear them.

May God help us to have a sincere love of truth,

m273p15c
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)