Jehovah wittness

Who is Jesus Christ? Who is God? Nickel for your thoughts?

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

Jehovah wittness

Post by email » Sun May 01, 2011 3:05 pm

I have had different people from the J.W orgination stop by our house,,

I said I will be a J.W IF YOU WILL DO ONE THING FOR ME..

TAKE THE WORD GOD,, IN THE NEW TESTAMENT AND PUT HIS OLD TESTAMENT NAME

JEHOVAH IN IT PLACE, BUT THEY NEVER COME BACK,

WHY BECAUSE THEN THEY HAVE TO SAY JESUS WAS ALMIGHTY GOD,, NOT A god.

BUT THEY CAN NOT DO THAT...1 TIM. 3 :16

GOD { JEHOVAH } WAS MANIFESTED IN THE FLESH

AND ANOTHER VERSE IS MATTHEW 1:21-23 HIS NAME WAS CALLED IMMANUEL

WHICH BEING INTERPRETED IS GOD {JEHOVAH } WITH US..

O YES ONE MORE,, CAN ANY ONE TELL ME,,

IF GOD IS A TRINITY WHAT IS HIS NAME?
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Jehovah wittness

Post by m273p15c » Wed May 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Thanks for your good Bible references that help show that Jesus was not only divine, but Jehovah (I Timothy 3:16; Matthew 1:21-23). In case you did not see this already, we have several additional passages along these lines in this article:

http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles ... deity.html

And, we have an article on the trinity concept here:

http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles/trinity.html

I think this article may answer several of your questions. But, please allow me to offer an explicit answer to your unique questions.

The "trinity" does not have an additional name. It is not a separate identity. These 3 beings of the Godhead don't combine to form another being with some super or meta identity. At least, the Bible offers no such indication that I can recall.

By Godhead or Godhood, I can mean the class, nature, or form of being divine, or I can mean the collection of beings who possess the quality of being divine or deity. Compare this to our more common, modern usages of manhood and neighborhood. The word "Godhood" or "Godhead" (depending on English translation) is found in Colossians 2:9:
... according to Christ. For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily ... (Colossians 2:8-9 NKJ)

... according to Christ. For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, ... (Colossians 2:8-9 NAS)
As you know, the word, "trinity", is not found anywhere in Scripture. It is a word invented by men to describe a concept that they believe is taught in Scripture. Just as sola scriptura is not found verbatim anywhere in the Bible, the concept of authority by "Scriptures alone" is certainly advocated by the Bible (Deuteronomy 8:4; Matthew 4:4). Likewise, I have used trinity - I can't speak for everybody else - to describe the perfect unity that exists between the 3 members of the Godhead: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Again, I would point you to the above article to defend that they dwell in perfect unity, and although this unity is perfect and involves divine beings, it is a unity that we are to seek with the Lord and His followers, so it is not mystical or mysterious in any incomprehensible way. When we achieve that unity with God and each other, Christian manhood is no more transformed into a monstrous super-conglomerated being than are the 3 members of the Godhood.

About the terms:
  • God the Father
  • God the Son
  • God the Holy Spirit, or God the Spirit
I cannot speak to their historical origins, but much like the term trinity, they are used to clarify a concept taught in Scripture. All 3 of these beings are divine. (Again, please see the above articles for defense.) When I talk to my children about God, they ask, "Which one?" So, instead of saying, "the member of Godhead, known as the Father", I often say, "God, the Father". Instead of saying, "the member of Godhead, known as the Son", I often say, "God, the Son". And, likewise for the Holy Spirit. Admittedly, the contraction is a bit confusing, because we are using the word, "God", as a proper name (like, John, Sally, Jesus, Michael), as a "class designator", (like, colonel, general, mortal, angel, demon, etc.), and as a "relationship designator" (like, master-slave, creator-creature, lord-servant, parent-child, etc.). Such diverse usage of the same word is definitely confusing, but the Bible seems to support these usages (Genesis 1:1; 35:11; Numbers 23:19; Psalm 50:7; Colossians 2:2, 9). Generally, I use the Father (or just God), Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, since those were the terms used in Matthew 28:19 (see also, Galatians 4:6-8).

So, these terms serve more as designations than proper names. They attempt to simultaneously identify both the unique role and common class (i.e., form or nature) of each member of the Godhead. The only designation, which comes close to a proper name for God, is Jehovah (YHWH), which literally means, "the existing one" (Exodus 3:14). And, as you noted, this is used to refer to the Son as well as the Father.

Now, how do you read? Are there 3 beings in the Godhead? For however many you recognize, how do you designate them and why? Do you believe the Son (Jesus) and the Holy Spirit are members of the Godhead? Why or why not? Do you believe that the Son and the Holy Spirit are separate beings from the Father? In other words, are you a unitarian?

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

May God help us have a sincere love of truth,

m273p15c
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)

email
Non-Member

Re: Jehovah wittness

Post by email » Wed May 04, 2011 9:36 pm

Thank you for your infor. it is interesting,,, are you a Jehovah Witness?

If I go to Gen. 1:1, 2, 3, is this called the trinity?

1 in the beginning God= FATHER? GOD THE FATHER?

2 The Spirit of God = the Holy Ghost? GOD THE HOLY GHOST?

3 And God said = is the the Son in John 1:1 called the word? GOD THE SON?

or can we say it was God manifesting himself in three ways?

Jesus said we must be born again,, but how?
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Re: Jehovah wittness

Post by m273p15c » Wed May 04, 2011 11:40 pm

No, I am nowhere close to being a Jehovah's Witness. :) I would encourage you to read the article links I sent previously. No JW could have written them, unless he was a former JW.

Genesis 1:1-3 definitely shows at least 2 beings in the Godhead. As you observed, John 1:1 includes the incarnate word, ha logos. However, I personally would not use it as a proof text, because it requires an outside passage, and the "Spirit of God" could be more easily misunderstood as a reference to God's life-force, as those who are wanton to deny the Spirit's deity often do. In my opinion, it requires too much "context" to be properly understood. In and of itself, it is ambiguous to the number of beings in the Godhead, although God does speak of Himself in the plural (Genesis 1:26). Maybe in the hands of someone more skilled than me, it could be used more effectively than I can see at present?

To me, the more interesting passages in the OT on the subject are the ones used in the first 2 chapters by the Hebrews writer. They show both separation of identity and deity.

Born again? Where do you read about it? And, what does it say?

May God help us have a sincere love of the truth,

m273p15c
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)