What was in the cup?

Who is Jesus Christ? Who is God? Nickel for your thoughts?

Moderator: grand_puba

JSM17

What was in the cup?

Post by JSM17 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:31 pm

Matt 26:42
"O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from Me unless I drink it, Your will be done."
NKJV

There are many ideas and thoughts about what was in the cup. I have my own ideas according to the O.T. of the cup. But some teach that it was a cup of fear, trembling, sorrow, pain, martyerdom.

Then His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground. Why? Was it because He was going to die? Have not many died just like Jesus and suffered pain equal to Him?

Now for me being a new Christian of six years now, I have come to the conclusion that the wrath of the Father came upon the savior as He was on the cross bearing our sins. In fact according to Isa. 53 it pleased the Father. Not in a sadistic way but that mankind would be saved through His Son's suffering.

But when I think of how Holy and perfect Jesus was as He went to the cross I think of having to bear the crushing judgement od the world sins upon Himself. When Jesus says, my God my God why have you forsaken me, He tells us a lot about what He was feeling on the cross and in the garden.

Isa. 51 tells us that there is a cup of wrath that belongs to the Father, and I believe that is what Jesus lamented over in the garden.

I would like to know what you guys think.
...in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power...

Darrell

Re: What was in the cup?

Post by Darrell » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:29 pm

JSM17 wrote:Matt 26:42
"O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from Me unless I drink it, Your will be done."
NKJV

There are many ideas and thoughts about what was in the cup. I have my own ideas according to the O.T. of the cup. But some teach that it was a cup of fear, trembling, sorrow, pain, martyerdom.

Then His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground. Why? Was it because He was going to die? Have not many died just like Jesus and suffered pain equal to Him?

Now for me being a new Christian of six years now, I have come to the conclusion that the wrath of the Father came upon the savior as He was on the cross bearing our sins. In fact according to Isa. 53 it pleased the Father. Not in a sadistic way but that mankind would be saved through His Son's suffering.

But when I think of how Holy and perfect Jesus was as He went to the cross I think of having to bear the crushing judgement od the world sins upon Himself. When Jesus says, my God my God why have you forsaken me, He tells us a lot about what He was feeling on the cross and in the garden.

Isa. 51 tells us that there is a cup of wrath that belongs to the Father, and I believe that is what Jesus lamented over in the garden.

I would like to know what you guys think.
First things first. You ask about what was in the cup, it was not a literal cup. It was the events that Jesus knew were coming. He was asking, if possible, let this suffering I will endure, to pass from me. However, He was willing to endure this suffering because He knew what it meant. He loved us and wanted us to be saved from our sin. It was the plan from the beginning.

As far as the sweat, there is a medical answer to this. I have had it explained by MD's, but I am not one. If my memory serves me, when enduring the stresses he went through, his sweat "became as drops of blood." Blood drips in much bigger drops than normal sweat. He was sweating to the point that they were huge drops. It indicates the stress of the situation on Him.

As far as the OT references, the cup is a figurative language used many times. We have to read the context to understand what was in the cup (figuratively).

I hope this helps!