Justifying God's punishment through civil gov't

Who is Jesus Christ? Who is God? Nickel for your thoughts?

Moderator: grand_puba

thetruth1

Post by thetruth1 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:04 pm

God didn't hold the Christians that burned millions of women because of witch accusations, killed millions of people who didn't believe in their religion, or the millions that inhabited their land that they said were entitled to them accountable. I assume God won't mind one more hurt person. If God was Gandhi maybe he would mind but, so far throughout history God hasn't worried much about Genocides, ethnic cleansing, poverty, starvations, wars, murder, assassinations, bombings, senseless killings and many other un-human acts. Maybe God doesn't care about humans and loves to watch us suffer, there is no evidence that he does care about us. I say "he" because no woman-god would let these things happen.

That is my view, I'm not trying to be mean, just sharing my opinion.

m273p15c

the problem of evil in a world ruled by a loving God

Post by m273p15c » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:48 pm

thetruth1 wrote:God didn't hold the Christians that burned millions of women because of witch accusations, killed millions of people who didn't believe in their religion, or the millions that inhabited their land that they said were entitled to them accountable.
I realize you don't believe in God, but let's suppose for a minute that there is a perfect, good, all powerful Creator and God. Can you do that for the sake of discussion? Now, if there is such a Being, would He not have the right to ask and enforce obedience to Him? What obligation does every creature have to His Creator and the saved to His Savior?

Blasphemy and idolatry were commanded to be punished by death for Jews living under the Old Covenant (Leviticus 24:10-23; Deuteronomy 18:10-14). Those who obeyed those commands were merely acting as God's agents and servants. Those who disobeyed did so in rebellion to their Creator. Would the same not be true on a national or state level? What about states, which become desperately corrupt and rebellious? Does the king of Kings have a right to enforce His most basic and innate laws? God often uses nations as one means of toppling other perverse nations (Leviticus 18:24-30; Deuteronomy 12:28-31; 18:10-12; Habakkuk 1:1-10). Occasionally, a worse nation is used to level others, before it is ultimately leveled itself (Habakkuk 1:6-10). Israelites and other nations that executed the Lord's command were both blessed and justified (Exodus 23:27-33; Numbers 33:52-56; Deuteronomy 9:1-6; 11:23-28). However, nations, even those used by God, which destroyed to satisfy their lusts, were eventually destroyed themselves for their sinful hearts (Habakkuk 1:11-17; 2:5-17; Zechariah 1:12-15). ... You see, this argument proves nothing, because it is self-evident that the creatures are obligated to their Creator, and we can conceive that such a Creator has the right to demand and enforce such obligations. The Bible is consistent with these expectations.
thetruth1 wrote:I assume God won't mind one more hurt person. If God was Gandhi maybe he would mind but, so far throughout history God hasn't worried much about Genocides, ethnic cleansing, poverty, starvations, wars, murder, assassinations, bombings, senseless killings and many other un-human acts.
Actually, God does see and know all these things (Matthew 10:29-31; 6:25-34). He has established government to minimize this (Romans 13:1-7; Ecclesiastes 5:8-9; Ecclesiastes 8:1-6). Even though God uses nations to punish, even topple other nations, much wickedness is not settled here. That is the point of the final judgment, when God brings each man's deeds to the light of His judgment (Ecclesiastes 3:1-7; Revelation 20:10-15; 21:7-8). Only then will some wrongs be made right.
thetruth1 wrote:Maybe God doesn't care about humans and loves to watch us suffer, there is no evidence that he does care about us.
You are right that this world is not perfect. There are many wrongs that are not made right here, at least where all can see, know, and appreciate. God tolerates this in mercy, because some times the "bad guys" repent and turn into "good guys" (I Timothy 1:13-16; Matthew 13:24-30; II Peter 3:9). Others may persist for a time (Romans 9:22-23), until the time for God's providential plan is fulfilled, and wrongs are set right on a future day not yet known to us. Life's inequities help us to be humble and turn to Him (Acts 17:26-28; Romans 8:20; Ecclesiastes 3:14, 18).

In summary, the problem of evil can be answered with these arguments:
  1. Recognizing any Creator's right to rule and enforce His will upon the creation.
  2. Recognizing that some of the "evil" that befalls us is due us.
  3. Recognizing that God's persevering with the wicked can be an act of mercy toward them and unto their conversion.
  4. Recognizing that man's fate in this life is nothing compared to his eternal fate (Romans 8:18; II Corinthians 4:17-5:4).
  5. Recognizing that all wrongs will be made right in God's final judgment.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hope mine will be helpful toward removing any barriers you have in accepting God's right to rule in your life.
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)