instruments and spirtual music played or sung in the home

Do you have questions about the nature, work, purpose, or pattern for the church? This is the place to share your thoughts and questions with others.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

instruments and spirtual music played or sung in the home

Post by email » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:33 pm

Would it be acceptable for someone to use mechanical instruments as part of spiritual music that is played or sung in the home?
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

SimplyAStudent

Using mechanical instruments at home

Post by SimplyAStudent » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:54 am

I have heard a number of people discuss this issue quite frequently lately. Perhaps the amount of "spiritual music" heard on the radio, CD's, etc. that use mechanical instruments for accompaniment has given rise to its popularity. I am not saying that is the reason for your question...just an observation on my part.

We must first notice what the Scripture teaches about what we are to sing and how we are to sing songs that would qualify as "spiritual music." Paul's words to the Christians at Ephesus first come to mind... "speaking to one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord" (5:19). On a parallel thought, we also read what Paul penned to the saints at the church in Colossae - "...teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord" (3:16) [all emphases mine].

At first glance, many Bible students would simply apply these passages to our music offered in the worship assembly of the church. I would agree with such an applicaiton. However, I do not believe such application is limited only to the public assembly. Where in these 2 passages does Paul limit his teaching to songs sung in the church?

As a way to consider this, Jesus taught us we can pray anywhere and everywhere (e.g. Mt. 6:5-7). At the same time, the inspired record teaches us the first century Christians prayed in the public assembly (Acts 2:42) as well as together when they met outside the church for purposes other than worship (Acts 12:12). Question: were there 2 different "rules" for praying...1 for in church and 1 for all other times? I don't think so. Likewise, I do not believe there is separate teaching for the singing of spiritual songs whether we are in or out of church. The singing saints do in an assembly (Heb. 2:12) is no different than the singing Paul & Silas did in a jail (Acts 16:25). It all is an expression of worship, praise, and devotion to God.

I believe it is not congruent with Biblical teaching to play instruments at home while singing spiritual songs. I also do not believe it to be sound thinking to purchase CD's of "modern spiritual bands" who sing spiritual songs while playing instruments and sing along with them.

We're not advocating Pharisaical thinking in this post (Mt. 23:24). We are willing to let God be the final Judge on what any of us do, publicly or privately. However, we are tying to follow what the Lord has taught us on any given Biblical matter... "If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God" (1 Pet. 4:11).

We hope these thoughts accurately reflect what God has told us He wants of us re: our worship of Him in song. We also hope the things we have said benefit the one who first posed the question in this forum.

m273p15c

specific instruction for the individual

Post by m273p15c » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:19 pm

In addition to the excellent, previous answer, please allow me to add another passage with comment:
James wrote:Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. (James 5:13)
Please notice that this instruction is specifically directed to the individual, not the collective assembly. Therefore, beyond question, this specific instruction would apply to any non-collective context, such as the home, car, etc.

In reference to listening to "Christian Rock" and other popular forms of instrumental Christian music, please consider this dilemma:

Is the music being listened to as "worship" or "entertainment"? When we listen to Christian rock, we are either listening for our enjoyment, or to worship God. Which is it?

Now, if we are listening as "worship", then we should follow the guidelines for Scriptural worship. The Bible specifies vocal worship, excluding mechanical music by the authority of Bible silence (James 5:13; Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16). (More here: http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles/music.html ; For more on the proof of silence, please see http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles ... _forbidden )

Now, if we are not listening as "worship", but we are listening as "entertainment", then why are we listening to music repeatedly taking the Lord's name in vain? If the spiritual references are not reverential or "worshipful", then they are vain, and therefore, such music would be condemned as blasphemous (Leviticus 24:11-16; Colossians 3:5-8 - More here: http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles/language.html ).

Either way, it seems that Christian rock would be contrary to the Bible, even if it is enjoyed in the privacy of one's own home.

phelps

Post by phelps » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:43 am

I am adding this because I do not feel by looking at the greek definitions that instrumental music is forbidden. I know that historically the new testament church did not use instrumental music in worship. My studies have lead me to believe that the church did not use such things because it did not want to draw attention to itself during worship. Remember a lot of the Christians during 1st century were in fear for their lives. It would be the equivalent of a church in a communist or muslim country using music in their worship of God. It would draw to much attention. In the US we do not have the fear of persecution that the 1st church had.

Psalmos
The KJV New Testament Greek Lexicon
Strong's Number: 5568 Browse Lexicon
Original Word Word Origin
Psalmos 8:489,1225
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
psal-mos' Noun Masculine

Definition
1.a striking, twanging
a. a striking the chords of a musical instrument
b. of a pious song, a psalm (hence, a pious song:Thayers)

King James Word Usage - Total: 7
psalm 5, Psalm 2

KJV Verse Count
Luke 2
Acts 2
1 Corinthians 1
Ephesians 1
Colossians 1

Total 7

Greek lexicon based on Thayer's and Smith's Bible Dictionary plus others; this is keyed to the large Kittel and the "Theological Dictionary of the New Testament." These files are public domain.

KJV Verse Count
Greek Word: Yalmovß
Transliterated Word: psalmos
Book to Display: Colossians
Verse Count: 1

Col 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in [b]psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Book to Display: Luke
Verse Count: 2

Lu 20:42
And David himself saith in the book of Psalms, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
Lu 24:44
And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

Book to Display: Acts
Verse Count: 2

Ac 1:20
For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.
Ac 13:33
God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

Book to Display: 1 Corinthians

1Co 14:26
How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

Book to Display: Ephesians

Eph 5:19
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Psallo
Strong's Number: 5567 Browse Lexicon
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Psallo 8:489,1225
psal'-lo Verb

Definition
1.to pluck off, pull out
2.to cause to vibrate by touching, to twang
a. to touch or strike the chord, to twang the strings of a musical instrument so that they gently vibrate
b. to play on a stringed instrument, to play, the harp, etc.
c. to sing to the music of the harp
d. in the NT to sing a hymn, to celebrate the praises of God in song

King James Word Usage - Total: 5
sing 3, sing psalms 1, make melody 1

KJV Verse Count
Romans 1
1 Corinthians 1
Ephesians 1
James 1

Total 4

KJV Verse Count
Greek Word: Yavllw
Transliterated Word: psallo
Book to Display: Ephesians

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Book to Display: Romans

Ro 15:9
And that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name.

Book to Display: 1 Corinthians

1Co 14:15
What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Book to Display: James

Jas 5:13
Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:08 am

This is a common and fair observation. Thankfully, the answer to your observation and question lies in the complete quotation of Thayer's Greek NT Lexicon, which you provided further down...
phelps wrote:...

Psalmos
Strong's Number: 5568 Browse Lexicon
Original Word Word Origin
Psalmos 8:489,1225
psal-mos' Noun Masculine

Definition
1.a striking, twanging
a. a striking the chords of a musical instrument
b. of a pious song, a psalm (hence, a pious song:Thayers)

Psallo
Strong's Number: 5567 Browse Lexicon
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Psallo 8:489,1225
psal'-lo Verb

Definition
1.to pluck off, pull out
2.to cause to vibrate by touching, to twang
a. to touch or strike the chord, to twang the strings of a musical instrument so that they gently vibrate
b. to play on a stringed instrument, to play, the harp, etc.
c. to sing to the music of the harp
d. in the NT to sing a hymn, to celebrate the praises of God in song
The word Greek word "psallo" changed meaning over the years. At the very first, it meant pluck or twang, like one's beard or hair! Later it came to be applied to plucking a bow string (as in, bow and arrow). From there it became applied to plucking or twanging a harp or lyre. Such instruments were often associated with worshiping, so eventually it became associated with spiritual songs or hymns. However, by the New Testament era, it had ultimately lost the association with instrumental music, and was associated only with the twanging of the heart strings.

Words change meaning over time, so we have to look at the meaning at the time of writing. This is what makes Greek New Testament lexicons different than a modern Greek dictionary or a classical Greek lexicon. Each refers to different time periods, in which meanings of words had changed when compared to other time periods.

So, actually if we look closely at the Greek meaning from the NT time period, we learn that actually the Greek forbids instrumental music, since it is not included in the definition.

More here, including some scandal associated with older writers and debaters only quoting select portions from Thayer's ... http://www.insearchoftruth.org/articles ... tml#psallo

phelps

Post by phelps » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:25 pm

I hope then you help me with this.

for example

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in [b]psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

then let me add the greek where it belongs

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalmos and psallo and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Speaking to yourselves in psalmos and psallo and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

I am not writing this to advocate music, but if I were to understand the greek it is not forbidden, just not used.

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:35 pm

phelps wrote:I hope then you help me with this...I am not writing this to advocate music, but if I were to understand the greek it is not forbidden, just not used.
Hi,

I'm sorry, but I don't understand exactly what you are saying. Are you saying that the Greek definition allows for mechanical music? Or, are you saying that the passage does not expressly forbid music?

Although the verse does not expressly forbid instrumental music, I believe the silence of the Scripture forbids it, when we recognize that God commanded us to use vocal music. Or, am I missing your question?

Thanks!

phelps

Post by phelps » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:19 am

what i am trying to say is that the greek def of psalmos allows for mechanical instruments. Both greek word psalmos and psallo is used in this passage. In my previous message I felt that it was not forbidden, just not used due to the persecution of the church. It would be the same as a church in China today. It would not be used due to the attention it would draw.

I am not a fan of instruments in worship. I belive that the accapella music we use is a wonderful way to worship God. I just don't think that our brethern in other churches are not wrong if they do. If I were in the NT church and read the word psalmos I would know that it would be a song with a instrument accompaning it.

The passage allows for us to sing with instruments and without.