What is difference between sanctification and justification?

What can I do to be saved? Place to discuss sin and its remedy.

Moderator: grand_puba

JSM17

What is difference between sanctification and justification?

Post by JSM17 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:58 am

What is the true teaching (biblical) on sanctification and what is the difference between sanctification and justification?

I have looked into commentaries and word helps, but it is very unclear to me what the scripture teaches about these issues.
Thanks.
...in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power...

larry

SANCTIFICATION AND JUSTIFICATION (What is the difference?)

Post by larry » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:47 am

There does not seem to be much practical difference between sanctification and justification as they are used in the Bible.

A review of Webster’s New World Dictionary, W.E. Vine’s Dictionary of New Testament Words and the New Bible Dictionary, reveals the following:

Sanctification — to set apart as holy; to make free from sin; separation to God; set apart.

Justification — to free from blame; to declare guiltless; pronounce righteous; declare righteous.

Both words are used several times in the Bible and one time in the same verse, (I Cor. 6:11). My conclusion is that while there are some differences between the two words, they are closely related.

It seems that one is justified by having his sins removed and becoming righteous, and then he/she is sanctified, or set apart, to serve God the way His word directs.

Larry
http://www.insearchoftruth.org