must know Hebrew to be saved

Place to discuss the reasons for our faith (I Peter 3:15)

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

must know Hebrew to be saved

Post by email » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:08 pm

About the New Testament and the Torah (The Old Testament).

First if one does not read either in their native language, they will not be accurate. Therefore, the english versiion of the New Testament is english is not an accurate document, just for the fact that it was translated.

The other item that is missed is that Jesus's mission in life was to teach the Torah, The Old Testament. Jesus was not a Christian, but a Jew whose guide was The Torah and he was murded and tortured and left on the Cross like the Romans did to 100,000 other Jews who never get mentioned. Unfortunately, there was nothing unique about his treatment by how the Roman's treated Jesus and the other Jews.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:21 pm

Thanks for the comments.

What do you think about the fact that Jesus and the apostles both quoted from the Septuagint version of the Old Testament? If translations are inherently inferior, why did they use the Septuagint?

The things that made Jesus different from the other 99,999 Jews were that:
  1. He arose from the dead after being crucified.
  2. He claimed to be the Messiah.
  3. He worked miracles, which no man can work, unless God sends Him.
  4. He fulfilled all the Old Testament prophecies regarding the Anointed One.
  5. He was sinless.
  6. He claimed to be one with Jehovah.
  7. He claimed to be equal to Jehovah.
The list could go on, but that should do for a start.

Please let me know if you would like to earnestly study this. I believe the evidence is overwhelming, if we honestly look for the truth.

thanks.
Last edited by m273p15c on Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

email
Non-Member

Post by email » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:45 pm

m273p15c wrote:The things that made Jesus different from the other 99,999 Jews were that:
  1. He arose from the dead after being crucified. -----> That is debatable among many Christian scholors
  2. He claimed to be the Messiah. ----> Messiah in those days meant "Warload", it was someone who was going to free the Jews by military means. Many people called themselves the Messiah as they do today.
  3. He worked miracles, which no man can work, unless God sends Him. ------> Once again, debatable by many Christian scholors and what is a "miracle".
  4. He fulfilled all the Old Testament prophecies regarding the Anointed ne. ------> Absolutely untrue. But then again, read the original text in their native language as well as documents that were created long before the New Testament was written. If you are not a scholor of Hebrew scholor, are have read the Talmud, you would not know what the alleged prophecies are.
  5. He was sinless. ----> Whatever sin means.
  6. He claimed to be one with Jehovah. ----> So did and do many, many others.
  7. He claimed to be equal to Jehovah. ----> So did and do many, many others.
But why is there no compassion for the other Jews who were treated the same way as Jesus? No compassion for his fellow man.
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?

m273p15c

Post by m273p15c » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:12 am

Please excuse me, because I fail to grasp the point of this correspondence. You made several vague assertions, but you appear reluctant to provide the evidence. Please forgive me if I do not accept your assertions because you said so.

I also fundamentally disagree with your assertion that a translation is incapable of communicating the word of God from one language to another. People use translators every day to do many extremely technical things. Since God promised to bless all the world through Abraham's seed, it seems strange that He would expect them to all know Hebrew, since the ultimate intent was to bless all people, not just the Israelites. Wasn't He the one that created the different languages in the beginning? Again, Jesus quoted from the Septuagint. Why did God not forbid translation, if it was so important? Where is the textual support for this claim?

Messiah meant "Anointed One" in the original Hebrew. Although some sects assumed the deliverance would be physical, the prophecy of Isaiah 53 indicates that spiritual salvation was the intent - deliverance from sins. The fact that Jesus and His disciples did not resist persecution is proof that Jesus never acted as a warlord. The Pharisees wanted Him to be a warlord, so they could throw off Roman rule. Multiple times the people tried to anoint Him king, but He escaped from them. It was not His purpose. The fact that He was so opposite of being a warlord makes this accusation unfathomable.

Since you seem to understand Hebrew, please tell me how to pronounce YHWH? How do you know which vowels are missing? Also, I would like to know what promises Jesus failed to fulfill?

Many people may make wild claims, but nobody comes close to having the legal, historical, prophetical, and miraculous support as does the person of Jesus. Points 6 and 7 are profound when combined with 1-4. Alone they are nothing. In fact, either Jesus was crazy or He was the Son of God. Where does the evidence point?

I believe you are mistaken about special compassion being shown to Jesus. He does receive obvious special treatment, because He was sinless, and He is the world's Savior, including the Jews. However, that does not diminish the compassion that Christians feel towards any person that is unfairly punished, tortured, or killed. My heart breaks for all such people and their families, as much as I can grasp the enormity of oppression's scale.

If you are interested in study the divinity of Jesus and His role as Messiah, then I would be glad to study this. However, I have no desire to argue. If you are looking for truth, then you have come to the right place. I don't mind disagreements, but I have no interest in arguing with people who will epitomize the same hard-heartedness that they themselves disdain in others. Which is it going to be? A friendly open minded study? Or, mail > /dev/null ?

thanks.