Use of Euphemisms

Ask moral related questions. What things are right and wrong? What should we do and not do?

Moderator: grand_puba

will

Use of Euphemisms

Post by will » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:04 pm

To all my brethren and religious friends. I notice in our conversations and even in some recent emails circulating among us that there is the use of euphemistic expressions, e.g., 'Jeez' (as in - "Jeez Another Virus"). Please be aware that this is the world's way of taking the Lord's name in vain in polite society where someone (and, by the way, this is getting to be precious few souls these days!) might notice and object, if a 'cuss' word was used blatantly in their midst, i.e. a substitute 'code' word has been devised and is substituted in lieu of the ‘cuss’ word.

Since I have brought the subject up, some other words that we might should be aware of that are also actually 'socially acceptable' euphemistic "cuss' words are words such as: Gee, Gosh, Golly, Gollee!, Cripes, Darn, Dang, Dangit, Durn, Durnit / Darnit, Holy Smokes, Shucks, Doggit, Dog Gonnit, Jimminy Cricket, Pete's Sake, etc. [this is by no means an exhaustive list of such polite 'cuss' words].

We should and must be careful lest we are become like the world around us when we speak with the language of the "ASHDOD" world that surrounds us. Remember that what the world may find to be O.K., can never be a standard for what is right for God's people. As God’s people we must hate every form of evil and every false way because we know and understand where these things will lead us if we allow them to be a part of our lives. [Note Psalms 97:10; Psalms 119:104, 128.]

We should consistently strive to be on our guard and strive to help others about us to see our pure Christian 'light' (Please read Ezra 7: 9-10, and especially Nehemiah 13:23 - 24; Matthew 5:14-16).We should guard our speech so as to truly speak only as God's people only should speak and not relax into using the casual, everyday vernacular of the world around us.

Please look up the word 'euphemism' in any good dictionary. Look up the word 'Jeez' in any good dictionary. Read again Neh. 13:23-24!!. Believe me, the well read of the world knows what a euphemism is - God's people should know!!

Let us not be found asleep when we are to be always alert and watchful for ourselves and others. Let us remember our precious children and grandchildren and the neighborhood / workplace acquaintances around us and that we want them to see our good example. It is a scripturally established fact that our speech can and will betray us as to where we are from, both physically and spiritually (cf. Matthew 26:69-73). Our words also are an indicator of our wisdom, character and thoughtfulness about others (Ecclesiastes 10:12).

Marc
Banned

Post by Marc » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:43 pm

I concur with the previous post. In relation to that I would also like to point out how in many movies and television shows that God's name is taken in vain. I don't know how others feel about it but when ever I hear someone say the name of Jesus Christ in an exclamatory way or speak as if God's last name is damn I either immediately turn the tv off, flip the station or just leave the room - no matter how interested I was in the program. I just can't imagine if the Lord Jesus was there next to me and that took place that I would just sit there and continue watching while the name of Him and God are used so disrespectfully. Personally I cringe whenever I hear it either on tv, the radio or in communication with other people. When I was teaching in South Korea you'd have these little Korean kids running around saying "Oh my G_ _" in English because they it on some movie. Really sad. I would have to say the only movies I feel pretty safe with are the ones prior to the mid 1960's. Yes they may not be as exciting and all as today but at least I don't have to be as concerned that they don't take the name of my God or the name of His blessed Son in vain.

m273p15c

new article...

Post by m273p15c » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:40 pm

based on these thoughts, a new article was recently posted:

Cursing, Swearing, and Vulgarity

Feedback is always welcome... :-)