Barack Obama's Pro-Choice Position

Ask moral related questions. What things are right and wrong? What should we do and not do?

Moderator: grand_puba

approachable

Barack Obama's Pro-Choice Position

Post by approachable » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:48 am

Hello, How are you doing? Is everything well? May I have some of your time, please?

I ask you to comment on something Obama wrote in his book, The Audacity of Hope. It is his position on pro-choice, as he describes it in his book. This was spoken sometime within his race for the U.S. Senate. He was speaking to a man who approached him at one of his rallies. The man was curious as to why Obama took his pro-choice position, if he called himself a "Christian". To sum it up, he asked Obama how could he support murdering babies, being a "Christian", with a family of his own. Obama, telling his readers of the account, said:
Barack Obama wrote:"I told him I understood his position but had to disagree with it. I explained my belief that few women made the decision to terminate a pregnancy casually; that any pregnant woman felt the full force of the moral issues involved and wrestled with her conscience when making that heart-wrenching decision; that I feared a ban on abortion would force women to seek unsafe abortions, as they had once done in this country and as they continued to do in countries that prosecute abortion doctors and the women who seek their services. I suggested that perhaps we could agree on ways to reduce the number of women who felt the need to have abortions in the first place". (pgs.197-198)
Can you please share your thoughts with me concerning this particular position on abortion? I have, since learning about abortion for the past year-in-a-half, been opposed to pro-choice, because it seems to suggest that a woman can do something that God says is wrong (Proverbs 6:17).

Thank you.........

m273p15c

Political dodge - failure to stand up

Post by m273p15c » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:25 pm

approachable wrote: I have, since learning about abortion for the past year-in-a-half, been opposed to pro-choice, because it seems to suggest that a woman can do something that God says is wrong (Proverbs 6:17).
Hi approachable,

I agree with your conclusion that God is opposed to abortion, because He is opposed to murder. And, the Bible does suggest that people have life and identity before birth:
Jeremiah, the prophet, wrote:Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying: Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations." (Jeremiah 1:4-5)
Barack's quoted position seems like a dodge. Government was partially established to enforce justice and punish "evil works".
Paul wrote:Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience' sake. For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God's ministers attending continually to this very thing. Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor. (Romans 13:1-7)
If Barack Obama does not prosecute abortion, then he either does not understand the role of government, or he does not believe abortion is evil.

I believe many "Christians", at least many who wear our Lord's name, do not understand the role of government. Many do not want to legislate morality. Now, there is a line to be drawn. (Freedom of religion - God's people are to be volunteers, Psalm 110:3.) However, crimes committed against society as a whole or any of its individual members is one of the primary targets of judicial reckoning (Romans 13:1-7). What greater crime can be committed against a society than murdering its most innocent and defenseless citizens? Abortion is both a societal crime and a religious sin. Those who do recognize abortion's societal and moral relevance do not recognize the human nature, identity, or rights of the baby in the womb, which is entirely unscriptural and depraved. The fact that some doctors only kill the baby once it is outside of the womb reveal the epitome of hypocrisy and spiritual depravity. Although they may attempt to hide behind it, truly, neither the womb nor "viability" demarcate the definition of "human being" in anyone's mind - even such abortionists.

This is a topic worthy of many prayers for Christians.

Thanks again for your good observation and question.
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)