Why a Study of False Doctrines

Container for all otherwise uncategorized thoughts and meanderings.

Moderator: grand_puba

will

Why a Study of False Doctrines

Post by will » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:15 pm

I found this quote to be interesting and revealing. It is from the new Watchman mag article posted today by Stan Cox. I think it puts together some pretty good points re why we need to study and be informed and have our 'defenses' ready - our 'radar' UP!!

Note the use of the word "Sophistry" - while I have been familiar with the word from various readings / studies of ancient Greeks / Greek Lit in college - the first time I heard this word used to describe false teachers / false doctrine was by Marshall Patton about 35-37 years ago when we were discussing a MDR matter and Marshall said 'that is just pure sophistry' referring to (and then showing me) how sophistry was used in the issue argumentation by the false teacher!! Therefore, remember the word!.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Refutation of the A.D. 70 Doctrine - 1
Posted on January 1st, 2010 in Transmillennialism, The A.D. 70 Doctrine, Realized Eschatology, Preterism, A.D. 70 Doctrine, Themes, Subject Index by Cox, Stan - Page 2 “Insidious Doctrine”
The most common response we get when we try to explain the A.D. 70 doctrine to Christians is, “How could anybody get caught up in that stuff? It makes no sense!” It is important we not underestimate the ability of the false teacher to deceive. This is why we are warned “that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting” (Ephesians 4:14). Sophistry is defined as “deceptively subtle reasoning or argumentation” (Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary). The A.D. 70 doctrine can rightly be described as sophistry, and its promulgators as sophists. The aforementioned Max R. King is especially adroit at the redefining of terms and subtle shifts in reasoning that allow him to make his error palatable to the undiscerning. Bill Reeves, in his review of King’s book The Spirit of Prophecy, accurately describes the man as a “play-on-words artist.” (3)
In Him for truth.