reaction to last night's election

Container for all otherwise uncategorized thoughts and meanderings.

Moderator: grand_puba

m273p15c

reaction to last night's election

Post by m273p15c » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:51 am

In regards to last night's election results, it seems that many Christians' reactions are drifting to 2 dead-end extremes:

One reaction is to rightfully mourn the utter failure in judgment of the American people. However, many people's bemoaning is turning into despair.

Another group, quoting I Kings 19:18 ("Yet I have reserved seven thousand in Israel, all whose knees have not bowed to Baal") and Daniel 4:24-37 ("until you know that the Most High rules in the kingdom of men, and gives it to whomever He chooses"), is demonstrating admirable and requisite trust in the Lord. Certainly, we need such comforting reminders to bolster our faith in disappointing times; however, we also need to avoid sticking our collective heads in the sand.

Last night, our nation and some states legalized homosexual marriages in 2 sates and "medicinal use" of marijuana in 2 states. We have not passed a federal budget in years, borrowing is out of control at the national level, and the government is buying an increasing number of votes with hand-outs, while more people slip into poverty and financial bond servitude. What happened to, "if a man doesn't work, neither should he eat" (II Thessalonians 3:7-13)?

Friends, our country is clearly moving to an increasingly short-sighted, lust-driven, reprobate mindset, as has happened in the past (Romans 1:18-32). It is fine to both recognize the failures of our civil leaders (Luke 13:31-32) and weep when sorrowful events befall us (John 11:32-36). Certainly, we need not despair, rather we need to still ourselves in God's promises. However, we do not need to become still! This should be a call to action for all Christians everywhere! Only Christians were entrusted with the gospel and virtues that can right this nation. Christians are the "salt of the earth" and the "city set on a hill" - not government (Matthew 5:13-16). Only the gospel has the power to transform lives, priorities, and morals for the better - not jobs or money (Romans 1:16; 12:1-2; I Timothy 6:10; II Timothy 3:16-17). We need to recognize and grieve, like the ancient prophets grieved for their people and their time (Habakkuk 1:1-4; 3:16-19). But, the situation is not hopeless. We need to get busy teaching the gospel and "letting our lights shine". How long should we keep trying to make a difference? God answered that question long ago for Isaiah:
Isaiah, a prophet of God, wrote:Then I said, "Lord, how long?" And He answered: "Until the cities are laid waste and without inhabitant, The houses are without a man, The land is utterly desolate, The LORD has removed men far away, And the forsaken places are many in the midst of the land." (Isaiah 6:11-12)
Maybe we have invested too much time building our "paneled houses", while the spiritual temple of the Lord "lies in ruins" (Haggai 1:1-5)? Are we in any way responsible for the spiritual decay of our nation, our people, and our time? Is there anything we can do?

Let all Christians forsake unnecessary material bondage (II Timothy 2:1-4; I John 2:15-17), earthly distractions (Matthew 6:19-34), and sinful boat anchors (Hebrews 12:1-2), so we can busy ourselves quickly in the Lord's vineyard and make a difference in our generation!
May God help us to love truth sincerely and supremely (II Thessalonians 2:11-12)