One of My Favorite Writers for Notable Quotes

Container for all otherwise uncategorized thoughts and meanderings.

Moderator: grand_puba

will

One of My Favorite Writers for Notable Quotes

Post by will » Sun May 06, 2012 11:03 pm

These are some quotes by one man that I believe are good, many are full of uncommon wisdom. Likely they can be found useful to help say well some point of issue for deeper consideration.

Some remind me of Mark Twain / CS Lewis, etc. Some I recognize as having myself used before without knowing where they came from.

One of my Favorites for a good smile is the 7th regarding 'cheese'. The best smile came with #12 about the little boy!

This collection I put together tonight does not exhaust by any means the wonder of this man.

Enjoy, Marvel.

will

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... erton.html

"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried."

Gilbert K. Chesterton

"How you think when you lose determines how long it will be until you win."

Gilbert K. Chesterton

"I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act.

Gilbert K. Chesterton

"I've searched all the parks in all the cities and found no statues of committees."

Gilbert K. Chesterton

"Man is an exception, whatever else he is. If he is not the image of God, then he is a disease of the dust. If it is not true that a divine being fell, then we can only say that one of the animals went entirely off its head."

Gilbert K. Chesterton

"One sees great things from the valley; only small things from the peak."

Gilbert K. Chesterton

"The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."

Gilbert K. Chesterton

"To be clever enough to get all that money, one must be stupid enough to want it."

Gilbert K. Chesterton

"Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously."

Gilbert K. Chesterton

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://thinkexist.com/quotes/g._k._chesterton/4.html

Carlyle said that men were mostly fools. Christianity, with a surer and more reverend realism, says that they are all fools.

G. K. Chesterton quote

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://gkchestertonquote.com/

"Right is right, even if nobody does it. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong about it."

G.K. Chesterton, Illustrated London News May 11, 1907

"It is always dangerous to have a little boy."

G.K. Chesterton in Terror of a Toy

"The Declaration of Independence dogmatically bases all rights on the fact that God created all men equal; and it is right; for if they were not created equal, they were certainly evolved unequal."

G.K. Chesterton in What I Saw in America

"The wisest thing in the world is to cry out before you are hurt. It is no good to cry out after you are hurt; especially after you are mortally hurt. People talk about the impatience of the populace; but sound historians know that most tyrannies have been possible because men moved too late. It is often essential to resist a tyranny before it exists. It is no answer to say, with a distant optimism, that the scheme is only in the air. A blow from a hatchet can only be parried while it is in the air."

G.K. Chesterton: Eugenics and Other Evils.

"It amuses me to reflect on that big coming battle, and to remember that the more my opponents practise Birth Control, the fewer there will be of them to fight us on that day."

G.K. Chesterton in Social Reform vs Birth Control, 1927

"It is vain for eloquent atheists to talk of the great truths that will be revealed if once we see free thought begin. We have seen it end. It has no more questions to ask; it has questioned itself. You cannot call up any wilder vision than a city in which men ask themselves if they have any selves. You cannot fancy a more sceptical world than that in which men doubt if there is a world."

G.K. Chesterton in Orthodoxy

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

G.K. Chesterton in The Illustrated London News, January 14, 1911

"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick."

G.K. Chesterton in Whats Wrong with the World

That which is large enough for the rich to covet, is large enough for the poor to defend.

G.K. Chesterton in Napoleon of Notting Hill

"The disadvantage of men not knowing the past is that they do not know the present."

G.K. Chesterton in the Illustrated London News, June 18, 1932

"I have a wife, a piece of string, a pencil and a knife: what more can any man want on a honeymoon."

G.K. Chesterton, note made on his honeymoon.

"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged."

G.K. Chesterton in The Cleveland Press March 1, 1921

"To say that everybody is responsible means that nobody is responsible."

G.K. Chesterton in Utopia of Usurers

"There is such a lot to do and so few people who will do it."

G.K. Chesterton in Utopia of Usurers

"The whole difference between construction and creation is exactly this: that a thing constructed can only be loved after it is constructed; but a thing created is loved before it exists."

G.K. Chesterton in Charles Dickens

"If Americans can be divorced for incompatibility of temper, I cannot conceive why they are not all divorced. I have known many happy marriages, but never a compatible one. The whole aim of marriage is to fight through and survive the instant when incompatibility becomes unquestionable. For a man and a woman, as such, are incompatible."

G.K. Chesterton in Whats Wrong with the World

"I know of men who believe in themselves more colossally than Napoleon or Caesar. I know where flames the fixed star of certainty and success. I can guide you to the thrones of the Super-men. The men who really believe in themselves are all in lunatic asylums."

"Christ did not love humanity, He never said He loved humanity; He loved men."

G.K. Chesterton in Twelve Types

"A turkey is more occult and awful than all the angels and archangels. In so far as God has partly revealed to us an angelic world, He has partly told us what an angel means. But God has never told us what a turkey means. And if you go and stare at a live turkey for an hour or two, you will find by the end of it that the enigma has rather increased than diminished."

G.K. Chesterton in All Things Considered

"There are some desires that are not desirable."

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."

G.K. Chesterton in the Illustrated London News, July 16, 1910

The issue is now quite clear. It is between light and darkness and every one must choose his side.

G.K. Chesterton, on his deathbed, according to Masie Ward.

"Love means loving the unlovable - or it is no virtue at all."

G.K. Chesterton in Heretics

"A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish."

G.K. Chesterton in The Man Who Was Orthodox

Modesty in Nature is protective; in civilization it is seductive. wrote Holbrook Jackson in his Platitudes in the Making.

It is always beautiful. scribbled G.K. Chesterton beneath it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With this I close and just sit 'astonished'!
In Him for truth.