The King of Babylon and Sheol - literal torments?

Container for all otherwise uncategorized thoughts and meanderings.

Moderator: grand_puba

email
Non-Member

The King of Babylon and Sheol - literal torments?

Post by email » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:37 am

Hello. In my personal studies, I read an article by a brother that says that the spirits in Sheol recognized the king of Babylon upon his entrance into that realm and started mocking him (Isaiah 14:9-12). This seems to point toward a more literal interpretation of the texts. In reading this myself and hearing other brethren teach on things in Isaiah 14, I was under the impression that, in context, Isaiah 14:9-12 was only imagery, and wasn't necessarily giving an account of the king's fate in Sheol, as in the account of Lazarus and the rich man in Luke 16:19-31. Would you mind commenting on this? From hearing other brethren teach, it seems that they are uncertain about the king of Babylon continuing in his worship of the true God (Daniel 4). If Isaiah 14:9-12 gives a literal account of the king of Babylon's fate in Sheol, then it seems to me that the king suffered the same fate as the rich man in Luke 16:19-31, because those in Sheol mock him, and this implies that he isn't "comforted" (Luke 16:25).

Thank You and God Bless
The above presented views do not necessarily represent any specific individual, registered on this forum or otherwise.
Who is "email"?